The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: ice conditions  (Read 2407 times)

Offline water driller

• IceShanty Rookie
ice conditions
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:36 AM »
A friend and I plan on heading to Mass tomorrow, but don't want to waste our time.  I was wondering if anyone knew if the lakes/ponds in the Lee area are safe? Also does anyone know if Holland pond is safe?  Thanks for any info!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:20 AM »
was on goose had 7 inches last thursday, should be more after this cold spell

Offline water driller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!  Now does anyone know anything about Holland pond?

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!  Now does anyone know anything about Holland pond?
probably good to go this week. guys on quabog yesterday...use caution, and prepare for a skunk

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Quabog didn't look to safe on Saturday.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Quabog didn't look to safe on Saturday.
It probably wasnt. Quaboag tends to bring out early ice whackos who will shimmy around on 1.5" if I'm gonna do that there has to actually be fish in there lol.
Would be such a waste to go under on quaboag...

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:25 PM »
Pontoosuc had 9" on Saturday.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:35 PM »
It probably wasnt. Quaboag tends to bring out early ice whackos who will shimmy around on 1.5" if I'm gonna do that there has to actually be fish in there lol.
Would be such a waste to go under on quaboag...

Saw a truck out there once with 8” - people are crazy on Quaboag

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Avoid laurel lake.it was open fri.mostly covered now but i dont think it is safe.

Offline KayakerB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Well done is better than well said
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:34 PM »
I drove by Holland pond today. Saw one guy fishing and a bunch of holes previously used all in the cove area near the boat ramp. I also stopped by walker pond on the way home from work. Only 3" of ice at the boat ramp.

Offline water driller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Thanks everyone! 

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:14 PM »
That was me on holland today waste of time I got skunked jigging and on traps. Place has been dead past few years

Offline motodad631

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Wyola in Shutesbury has 5", 30-40 people out there Sunday.

Offline KayakerB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Well done is better than well said
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Yesterday I was at a friend's house on Hamilton Reservoir. We we're discussing how we were surprised parts of the north basin had not locked up yet. Over the course of the day we saw less and less open water. By sunset it had all locked up. With this being said, my friend sent me a picture of someone walking In the middle of the lake that was open just yesterday. I'm amazed he did not fall through.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Do people realize that there is a conditions and ice reports page for each state?  That page can only be viewed by iceshanty members, correct me if I am wrong, so why not post all of these ice conditions reports on that page so all of the lurkers can't see.  I'd guess 80% of the web traffic on this site is from lurkers just looking for conditions.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Jetmec89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • USAF
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:29 AM »
A lot of times the specific pond or lake someone wants to travel to or fish has not been updated or spoken about on the Ice conditions thread. some of the anglers are from really far away. I dont blame them for asking about ice thickness especially since they are bound to get a few good sources of information out of it. This is the alternate means of information for this site. Lurkers wanting to know if there's ice shouldn't rub you the wrong way. I dont think it really matters at all, "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink". People should always verify what they are being told anyway, obviously. Ill tell you what I wouldn't take someones word for it, i'd be spuddin as I go if I wasn't sure or it was my first time out for the year.
Grab me a beer woman!!!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:49 AM »
A lot of times the specific pond or lake someone wants to travel to or fish has not been updated or spoken about on the Ice conditions thread. some of the anglers are from really far away. I dont blame them for asking about ice thickness especially since they are bound to get a few good sources of information out of it. This is the alternate means of information for this site. Lurkers wanting to know if there's ice shouldn't rub you the wrong way. I dont think it really matters at all, "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink". People should always verify what they are being told anyway, obviously. Ill tell you what I wouldn't take someones word for it, i'd be spuddin as I go if I wasn't sure or it was my first time out for the year.

Well now bc of this site a very small productive pond up in the hills has been pounded by tons of people.  Big bodies of water yes I agree but a small under 20 acre trout pond can get fished out pretty quickly.  Even EPOs are there now and they are no where to be found in this state.  This is most due to all of the talk on this site.  If everyone made an honest effort to use the conditions page then this would ocurr to a lesser degree.
westernmas on the finder

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Well now bc of this site a very small productive pond up in the hills has been pounded by tons of people.  Big bodies of water yes I agree but a small under 20 acre trout pond can get fished out pretty quickly.  Even EPOs are there now and they are no where to be found in this state.  This is most due to all of the talk on this site.  If everyone made an honest effort to use the conditions page then this would ocurr to a lesser degree.

Yeah - I also noticed that - a great example of a spot burn, albeit a minor one

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:17 AM »
I think a lot of us probly started as lurkers.some people are afraid of the backlash of saying or asking the wrong question.i dont think ice conditions are that big of a spot burner. Ive had my share of spots burned and i mean scorched.but i guess those are just the times we live in.if i can help with an ice report feel free to ask.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:31 AM »
I think a lot of us probly started as lurkers.some people are afraid of the backlash of saying or asking the wrong question.i dont think ice conditions are that big of a spot burner. Ive had my share of spots burned and i mean scorched.but i guess those are just the times we live in.if i can help with an ice report feel free to ask.

Bob I always appreciate the reports.  However, giving people info. on known spots like Pontoosuc, Onota, etc. is one thing.  The first and last ice places that most people had never heard of is another thing.  My original point is that the site was designed to combat this issue yet those who are registered members don't use the functionality that the website designers had the foresight to anticipate.

PS. I stopped by littleville after catching a few fish fly fishing, since I can't catch anything on tip ups, and there were two younger guys walking off the ice.  I walked out 20 feet and it was locked tight with about 5-6 inches based on what I could see and the guys told me.  I don't think this place can be spot burned bc its so deep and difficult to fish.  Plus the wind will drive most off the ice in a matter of hours.
westernmas on the finder

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2019, 02:09 PM »
Bob I always appreciate the reports.  However, giving people info. on known spots like Pontoosuc, Onota, etc. is one thing.  The first and last ice places that most people had never heard of is another thing.  My original point is that the site was designed to combat this issue yet those who are registered members don't use the functionality that the website designers had the foresight to anticipate.

PS. I stopped by littleville after catching a few fish fly fishing, since I can't catch anything on tip ups, and there were two younger guys walking off the ice.  I walked out 20 feet and it was locked tight with about 5-6 inches based on what I could see and the guys told me.  I don't think this place can be spot burned bc its so deep and difficult to fish.  Plus the wind will drive most off the ice in a matter of hours.

I’ve meant to try it for ages - I’ve pulled smelt from Onota and green water - would love to complete the trio - I also know of some decent browns coming out of there in springtime - wind and lack of other fisherman have scared me off so far.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:18 PM »
I’ve meant to try it for ages - I’ve pulled smelt from Onota and green water - would love to complete the trio - I also know of some decent browns coming out of there in springtime - wind and lack of other fisherman have scared me off so far.

It has all of the signs of a great fishery but it has always befuddle me.  I've got some nice larrys there during the spawn but always have trouble finding trout.  Go there in late spring during a bug hatch and I've got a better chance of a trout jumping into my boat than catching one.  I've heard that guys do well there trolling flies.  Now that I've got electronics on my kayak I'm going to try to figure it out a little better.  It seems like they are really keyed in small bugs and the smelt.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:37 PM »
It has all of the signs of a great fishery but it has always befuddle me.  I've got some nice larrys there during the spawn but always have trouble finding trout.  Go there in late spring during a bug hatch and I've got a better chance of a trout jumping into my boat than catching one.  I've heard that guys do well there trolling flies.  Now that I've got electronics on my kayak I'm going to try to figure it out a little better.  It seems like they are really keyed in small bugs and the smelt.
Pull streamers on lead core. Not the most fun way to catch them but it produces numbers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.