The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: shaker mill pond  (Read 2535 times)

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
shaker mill pond
« on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:23 PM »
has anyone ever fished shaker mill pond in Ayer and what fish are in there i want to hit it this weekend and just want some info also what size shiners have you had good luck with and cought some decent fish with  THANKS

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: shaker mill pond
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:37 PM »
The bigger the bait, the bigger the fish!!!!!! Unless your going for trout that is. That's my theory and it's worked so far..... ;)
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:30 PM »
I heard it sux  :tipup:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2005, 04:10 PM »
I heard it sux  :tipup:

i realy dont care if it sux i just want to get out and catch at least one fish and it has tons of pickeral in there so it shouldent be to slow

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2005, 01:12 PM »
Does anyone fish Groves Pond anymore between Devens and Ayer? Years ago we used to take out lots of perch, crappie, hornpout, bluegills, and caught some chains too.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2005, 01:40 PM »
hey taxidermist...where are u from....do you do deer mounts...i got my first deer, and would like to get it mounted...do u have a web site...and how are u on turn arounds and prices...its just a little one antlerd 4 pointer and my dad promised i could get my first deer mounted, we got it caped out and its in the freezer now.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2005, 05:30 PM »
I'm sorry I'm all the way out here in Indiana and I've specialized in fish the last seven years. Have you tried the yellow pages although last I noticed you don't have many taxidermists in Massachusetts?

If you go to this link you may be able to find one by scrolling down to Massachusetts and clicking on those listed. Just keep in mind not all taxidermists are created equal and you usually get what you pay for. Don't settle for the nearest one. Check out the work quality.

http://www.taxidermy.net/taxidermists/tlinks.html

If you want to see a 16 1/4 inch almost 3 lb. yellow perch go to my website:

http://www.ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

Also a 6 lbs. 4 oz. brook on that page and a close to 12 lb. brown all from my ponds on my property.

I used to live in Mass when I was a kid and come back once in a while. I know one of your ponds like the back of my hand and find them easier to catch fish than out here in our public Lakes. Nicer scenery out your way too. I'll be out there in June doing some fishing.

BTW Mirror Lake at Devens is a sleeper. You guys don't know what you're missing. Heavily stocked and hardly any fishing pressure. A friend from Ayer fishes it -- Greg Kendall. Fished it a couple of years ago. Couldn't keep the browns off my downrigger. Greg didn't know it even had browns. He and his brother Bob were only catching rainbows on the bottom off shore. Browns were suspended.

Good Luck

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2005, 06:00 PM »
thanks for replying, theres a guy in mansfield (in my town) that does deer, i was just wondering about tha prices and what not...thanks again for the post

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2005, 06:04 PM »
The bigger the bait, the bigger the fish!!!!!! Unless your going for trout that is. That's my theory and it's worked so far..... ;)

Same theory for bass. I even get little dink bass on the big bait but the majority are much bigger fish than with small bait.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2005, 08:42 AM »
Makes sense. I've caught my biggest perch on really big shiners under a tip up in one of my ponds. Funny thing is I was more likely to catch the perch than the bass! However I've got so many 1 1/2 to 2 lb. bass in the pond now I think I'd be catching a lot of bass and I don't want them swallowing the shiner and going to waste. I have over 300 bass in this .62 acre pond I feed daily when the water temps is above 60 F.

Hey BuckmanJR86,

Did you check out my website?

So no one fishes Groves Pond any more eh? Or do you call it something else? It borders the town of Ayer right on the south side and on the south side of the lake it borders the National Guard Amory at Devens. Or is it called Plow Shop Pond?  It's been 34 years since I've fished it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.