Author Topic: Dogs and Ice fishing  (Read 6654 times)

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dogs and Ice fishing
« on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:23 PM »
what do you guys think of people that bring there dogs out fishing with them. i don't care if they do, cause i do, but when i do the people around me seem mad. whats your guys opinion?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Dogs and Ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:24 PM »
As long as the dog is comfortable, trained, and not peeing on my bucket... Its fine by me!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:33 PM »
one more thing i did have somebodys dog come up and lift is leg and pee right in to my otter sled with my stuff in it, stupid dog, but all i could do is laugh ;D

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:00 PM »
I don't mind the dogs one bit, as long as they aren't trained to steal my panfish :'(

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:19 PM »
one more thing i did have somebodys dog come up and lift is leg and pee right in to my otter sled with my stuff in it, stupid dog, but all i could do is laugh ;D

Should have returned the favor.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:49 PM »
Dogs are a pain!!!!! Especially the one on the right by the chair!!!!    ;D
Everyone has a dog up here!!! Fishing at my friends place there can be a gang of 15 or more dogs running around the place. Good thing is they usually just play together and leave us alone because it would really suck to have 15 dogs running through my setup!!!    :woot:

Offline dk_kon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:51 AM »

Had the same thing happen to me last season.  I was angry for 2 seconds, then i went back to jigging.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:39 AM »
I generally don't mind dogs, I'm a dogless dog man. Just be carfull on slick ice. A friends dog splayed out on the ice and tore tendons in her crotch.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:56 AM »
Hmmm, lets see... dogs, sometimes slippery conditions, hooks, other people, kids...sure sounds like a perfect enviroment for an animal to run loose in. And I'm talking about pets, not working/hunting dogs.

They have leash laws for a reason and most of them are to protect dogs from their owners IMO.

Not a dog hater, but hate to see people subject their animals to conditions and enviroments that they are not use to or animals that are not socialized.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:07 AM »
Mine stay home.  One is old and has had knee surgeries, the other is way out of control.  She has too much energy and would be bothering me and others on the ice.  Both of them are house/hunting dogs, and are not accustomed to being out in the winter conditions.  My wife is always after me to take them to get them out of the house and burn some energy.  I prefer just to play fetch with them before and after I go fishing, and leave them at home. 

Bottom line I don't take my bothersome dogs, so I expect the same.  If your dog is good on the ice fine, but it better not be bothering me or I will say something.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:19 AM »
I am a dog owner
Ice conditions, wind and temperatures would be the big factor's, I would hate to see any animal on clear ice without snow covering, they would end up with pulled mussels and tendants, slush on the ice there feet would freeze up....sometimes I think its better to leave them home no matter how hard it is for you thinking they would like to be out running around and getting exercise.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:06 AM »
I am a dog owner
Ice conditions, wind and temperatures would be the big factor's, I would hate to see any animal on clear ice without snow covering, they would end up with pulled mussels and tendants, slush on the ice there feet would freeze up....sometimes I think its better to leave them home no matter how hard it is for you thinking they would like to be out running around and getting exercise.
I`m with Thumbar on this, I have always had dawgs ,parents bred boxers, I own Rotties.
Wouldn`t take em out on the ice. Big dawgs aren`t meant to be on the ice. Chance for hip problems. Dawgs pads are not meant to be on snow long,term,never mind ice. You walk around without yer Stabilicers or creepers,etc. on glare ice. You know how yer muscles take a beating. Dawgs look to thier owners to take care of them,because they aren`t smart enuff. Plus my dawgs are always overfriendly and would visit everyone. Some people freak when a 120# Rott pads over to em demanding to be patted. My dawgs are walked twice a day ,everyday , with few exceptions , so they have always had much needed exercise. Also no one needs a steaming Rottie mountain plopped next to thier set.
BTW Drifter, nice looking animal there, looks intent on that fishing hole.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:20 AM »
some days their great, other days their relieving themselves on your equipment, setting your flags off, trying to steal your food when you go out to your flag and so on. recently i had to put wilbur (yellow lab) down, he was 21 and life was getting really hard for him, wish he was around so he could bug me on the ice this season.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:25 AM »
I think as long as they are well behaved no problem, but it is a dangerous place for them to be. We had a friend stop out to see us and had his Boxer, a well behaved friendly dog, and she got to running around and a couple kids were throwing her snowballs then she ran into an auger that someone didn't put the blade cover back on. She almost lost a toe 8 stitches and a $500 emergency vet clinic visit on a sunday. Luckily a buddie tore his under shirt and I had electrical tape because we couldn't get the bleeding to stop. A friends German Shorthair had problems with pulled muscles and torn tendons on glare ice before also. I have these guys, 9 month old Gordon Setters and I personally don't think I would expose them to the possability of being hurt like that. My wife and I don't have kids so they are like our children and I hate to see them hurt, just like kids you feel helpless when something is wrong and unlike kids they can't tell you whats wrong to help them.

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:49 AM »
I have no problems with a dog on the ice. I like to have a distraction once in while.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:25 AM »
I love dogs and don't mind them at all as long as they are not barking for hours on end or biting people.

If someone has to warn you "careful, my dog bites" then it shouldn't be out on the ice were there are a bunch of people.
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline yog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:35 AM »
the only dogs i want to see on the ice are coyotes, i fish a huge lake with no houses and nothing but miles of woods around it, so me and a few other guys take rifles and hunt the yotes that run the shore lines, as for a dog wizzing on my stuff, i think it would turn out bad. :tipup:

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:54 AM »
I think it is great to get the dogs outside and running arround to burn up some energy..they need that. But I don't want to have someones dog bothering us and knocking over gear or taking a leake on any of my stuff.

Bottom line...If they are going to run lose and bother other fishermen then leave them at home.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:01 AM »
I love dogs and have 2 Labs myself.I don't mind dogs being the ice as long as they stay with thier owners and are'nt running all over the place messing with other fishermen and pissing on tip ups and such...

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:39 AM »
If I bring my dog it will be on a weekday with snow on the ice. He has a lot of energy and I don't need the aggravation of chasing him down while he tries to play with other people.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:03 PM »
I`m with Thumbar on this, I have always had dawgs ,parents bred boxers, I own Rotties.
Wouldn`t take em out on the ice. Big dawgs aren`t meant to be on the ice. Chance for hip problems. Dawgs pads are not meant to be on snow long,term,never mind ice. You walk around without yer Stabilicers or creepers,etc. on glare ice. You know how yer muscles take a beating. Dawgs look to thier owners to take care of them,because they aren`t smart enuff. Plus my dawgs are always overfriendly and would visit everyone. Some people freak when a 120# Rott pads over to em demanding to be patted. My dawgs are walked twice a day ,everyday , with few exceptions , so they have always had much needed exercise. Also no one needs a steaming Rottie mountain plopped next to thier set.
BTW Drifter, nice looking animal there, looks intent on that fishing hole.
I sure hope ya don't mind an old Ice Dawg on the ice. I promise not to pee in your minnow bucket or on your tipups. I leave the ice pooch home because there are too many bad things that can happen on ice.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:46 PM »
They're fine as long as you don't force them on the people around you. I had a buddy who had his pole in a rod holder by a hole and some dude's dog ran by, tipped the rod over, got caught in the line and ended up getting snagged and then of course the rod was chasing after the dog. the owner had a hell of a time catching the thing. it was both sad for the dog and really made us angry. I have 2 dogs of my own but in respect for other anglers I make sure I'm fishing all by myself if they're with.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:04 PM »
If I bring my dog it will be on a weekday with snow on the ice. He has a lot of energy and I don't need the aggravation of chasing him down while he tries to play with other people.
when im fishing, I dont want to see your dog. Not everyone thinks that your dog is cool. Thats why they buy their own. If you take your dog........keep it with you, I dont care what kind it is either

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:17 PM »
One place i fish the owners have mastiffs and my yellow lab loves to play with them .If the conditions are goood i will take her ... she is a very well trained hunting dog  and i put her in the bottom of my pro on my jacket if  she gets a little high strung ... kind of a doggy time out.I have seen some obnoxious dogs on the ice ... but come on i have seen way more obnoxious people on the ice .Good thing most places have alot of room to fish ... because to be honest if some arrogant ass b***hed about having to share the ice with a dog .. they had just better keep on trucking .. because  I am pretty sure i would have a bigger problem with him.. then he with my dog.
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:00 PM »
i bring mine everytime......however, they are well trained  and stick near base camp......its cool when there are other dogs to play with....they will even sit in the back on my polaris ATP (has a dump bed) when we are heading out on the ice or down a trail that leads us to the lake.....i could see how they could be a pain, but overall my experiences have been good......here's a look

a day with friends......

chillin.....

when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:12 PM »
I love dogs too however I agree with Das and Thumber. I had a golden and I believe that's what ruined her. Hours on the ice. Ended up with a bad hip. Had a 200 lbs St. Bernard as well. Great dog to check first ice with. Throw a cookie out there and If she goes through, I'd go home.....kidding of course. Still ended up having problems with her hips too.
There are obviously things you can do to help protect dogs on the ice, booties, packs, blankets, warm bob house etc....but I'd rather use all these things for keeping the wife warm instead....then go home to the dog.

JIGGIN.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:32 PM »
I dont care how well trained your dog is, keep it away just because you like dogs doesn't mean everybody shares your passion. I could care less if their on the ice as long as you clean up after them, just keep your dog away from people......simple enough? Ive had a few bad experiences with dogs and ice fishing

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:54 PM »
i would take my dog out more often if i could be sure she wouldn't run, we're her fourth owners, so she has loyalty issues.  :-\

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more, H20.shaver.  Dogs on the ice are a pain in the butt.
Mine's always riding my sled around, making a lot of noise, scaring the fish away.
And when he finally tires of that, he has to go raise his leg on every trap.  He has
no manners either.  He poops on the ICE!  Can you believe it!  He barks at the DNR
officers, even after they have removed their helmets--something about folks
wearing helmets that really tee's him off.  He goes around to all the other shacks, don't matter if it's two miles away, he'll go sniffing around, looking for some other dogs to play with, or looking for bits of food that were thrown out with the dishwater, or find frozen bait to chew, or fish guts to roll in.  No sir, that dog is trouble on the ice.  Just when I catch a fish, he always has to stick his nose in and check it out, as if he's the one who gets to decide whether to let it go.  Then if it's cold or windy, he hides all day inside the shack, curled up next to the heater!  Lazy, no good, stinking dog!  Worse than some of the kids folks bring with them.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Maine= obviously this is a soft spot for you. Im not alone in the fact that I don't want a "loose" dog running up on me while Im fishing, or watching the dog take a dump on the lake. Im not saying that your dog runs wild as you have suggested. All Im saying is that some people come to the lake and just turn their dogs loose like its doggy park, well its  not. Some people just cant believe that other people dont want their dogs by them. Why is this hard to understand? why does it hurt peoples feelings?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.