Author Topic: Ice Shanty Plans  (Read 332861 times)

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Ice Shanty Plans
« on: Nov 13, 2002, 04:27 AM »
Hey ice fishing people if you have or know of any full sized shack or portable shanty plans you'd like to share please post them here.
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

clysdale

Re: Ice Shanty Plans
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2002, 06:20 PM »
CHEAP!!!        hey Guys Im new here and its great to find people alike,   Now to the point i can help you make a inexpensive shack,  #1   1 large tarp
                                #2   3  8x6 sheets of partical board
                                #3   4 3ft bungee cords
                                #4   4 2x4s 8ft
                                #5   2 2x4s 6ft
                                #6   30 5" nails
  Put all together in U shape with nails and 2x4s, throw the tarp over the roof and the front opening, use the bungee cords to hold down the tarp to the frame and you are out of the elements.      Its cheap and not very portable but it works and believe it or not but in canada here i have seen worse and cheaper.      Hope i could help any body short on doe for a quick shack. keep it fresh   clysdale

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:Ice Shanty Plans
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2003, 01:19 PM »
I recommend  the fishontario site. I built one using their plans and with a few changes it is a palace on the ice. A little heavy but does the job. cost was around $100.00.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline CHRIS*

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:Ice Shanty Plans
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 12:46 PM »
I recommend to the fishontario site. I built one using their plans and with a few changes it is a palace on the ice. A little heavy but does the job. cost was around $100.00.

How much does it weight? And how many inches of ice should i wait for till i bring it out on the ice?

Chris :'(

" Give a man a fish he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to Ice fish and he will sit out on the ice and drink beers all day!!"

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2004, 11:25 AM »
i would say the weight is around 90 lbs. as far as ice thickness that is totally up to you. a good gauge is to see what the locals are doing and take it from there.

HIMO

Offline Higgsy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2004, 03:59 PM »
I built the hut from the fishontario site. I made a few changes but used the basic design. It works great for two people. I pull it behind my atv and when it's time to go home I fold it down and slide it in the box of my truck and park the atv right on top of it.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:12 AM »
I agree higgsy. I built the same one and modified it for my own standards. I leave it in northern Wisc. by my travel trailer and when I go in the winter, it is there and ready to use.

HIMO

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:24 AM »
try ebay

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2004, 08:31 AM »
Here are some pics of the shanty that my brother in law made. Sorry for the scanned quaility, but you get the idea.

It folds up to the size of a dog sled

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2004, 08:44 AM »
thats a sweet rig!!looks like a first quality job.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2004, 11:40 AM »
Hey Out4Trout.....  Nice rig!!!  Do you have plans for that?  If so I'd like to buy a set from you if your willing.

two wolves

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2004, 03:42 PM »
Trying to keep holes open overnight. Has anyone heard about putting a 12 volt light bulb in an openended
pickle bucket with an insulated lid? Do they make something that goes into the hole and prevents freezing
other than anti-freeze.

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:44 PM »
Hey Out4Trout.....  Nice rig!!!  Do you have plans for that?  If so I'd like to buy a set from you if your willing.

I don't have any plans, nor did my brother-in-law. He just built as he went. He used a light gage tube for a frame and plywood for the lower half. The seats fold up and lock into place with spring snaps. The poles are 1/2" conduit - all color coded so they attach in the same location each time. He had the cover made locally. He had some "T" shaped aluminum that he used for skis. There's a table that folds out, and a shelf that hangs off from the conduit poles. Propane connections all built in. He did a great job building it. I'll try to get some better pictures of it this year and will post them here.

bigdave1018

« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2004, 02:40 PM »
i saw this icefisherman pulling a 4x6 sheet of plywood out on the ice 1 trip. i had to go over and check it out. it actually was 2 sheets hinged in the middle. he had skis on 1 side and made a holder for his pails on the upward side. when he got where he wanted to fish, the 2 buckets and auger came off and he set up the sheets in a triangular shape. he said it breaks the wind better then a square shape.he built a seat out of the extra piece of 4x2 plywood that fit into the 2 bigger sheets. all the wood was 3/4 in. he had the skis mounted on 4x4x6 inch blocks. it looked very light when pulling out and a very inexpensive way for making a portable shanty. total cost you ask? less than 40 $. i didnt see a tarp on it but can imagine one would be easy enough to rig up.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2004, 10:18 AM »

This uses 3 pieces of plywood and mounted on skis the same way.   All recycled material, too!  Cost about $6 for the used piano hinges and maybe $2.50 for the skis.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

fish_slayer

« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:47 PM »
What was the tarp material that your bro-in-law made the top of his shack out of, it looks like its that thick canvas they use on the portables, it looks really warm.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2004, 08:27 AM »
What was the tarp material that your bro-in-law made the top of his shack out of, it looks like its that thick canvas they use on the portables, it looks really warm.

It looks like the tarps painters use for drop cloths.  They are inexpensive, and you can find them at most paint stores.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:58 AM »
How do you actually mount the skis?

Do you epoxy the 4x4x6 blocks onto them first and then screw into the blocks or do you bolt through the skis...seems to me if you bolt though you have problems on the bottoms with things getting hung up, and if you just screw into the top of the skis you could easily pull the screws out...anyway details would be appreciated.

thanks

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2005, 03:24 PM »
Collapsible easy-to-transport hut
http://www.fishontario.com/ice-fishing/buildahut/workshophut.html
About 4 years I built a fold-up shanty very similar to the above. Some of the improvements are as follows;
I put 2-2x6's 10 feet long(2" edge down )as runners, under the floor .
I built 3/4 plywood "walls" 10  inches high all around the floor , then hinged the end walls from on top of these . The beauty of 10 inch walls ...it gives you all that room to store most of your stuff . I welded up a 10 in. wide wood-burning stove that tips over flat on the floor (for travel or storage)...stands up for use .

Offline jtillman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Fishkeeper....I was thinking about doing the exact same thing....but more like 24" walls....how heavy is your shanty with the modifications?

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:17 PM »
Fishkeeper....I was thinking about doing the exact same thing....but more like 24" walls....how heavy is your shanty with the modifications?

About a hundred pounds ...but you can tow it around with one finger ...on ice or hard-pack snow .
With a wood burning stove there is no condensation in the shack .
I use a small block and tackle to get it back(fully loaded with gear)up the snowmachine ramp(home-built) onto the half-ton. It's a lot easier than putting it up by hand by your-self .To put it up by hand , I have to unload all my gear first ....ain't as young as I usetawas .
I glued and screwed 10" long triangular corner blocks into each of the four corners of the walls for strength .
I put a tow bar on the front so that I could pull it behind the snowmachine.
The stove pipe is vented out the plywood wall opposite to the door.
I cut the bottoms out of two plastic ice-cream containers(1 gallon) and stuff them into the two 8" fishing holes cut into the 3/4 plywood floor (diagonal corners) ...keeps any cold air out of shack ...plus holes don't freeze up .

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2005, 09:00 PM »
Here's a few pics. of my rig. Pulls very easy 1 person on the ice even covered with 4 inches of snow. The only time it's tough is when there is 4" of slush and hills are a 2 man job.Between the sled,shanty, and gear it weighs a wopping 250lbs. if not a little more.
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2005, 09:08 PM »
Sorry for the size of the pics I forgot to resize.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2005, 10:34 PM »
Nice set up you have there tuckerdg . Mine is very similar . I use only one stretcher pole(at the peak)...but then I hafta put up some coat hangers  :). I have a small wood-burning stove where the kid is .
I'll see if I can post a picture of it .

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2005, 09:00 PM »
That would be great. I'd love to see how you have the stove hooked up.I run a small camping grill in mine with the 20# tank out side which adds smo weight when tank is full. How did you run your chimney? This may work for me if it was just 2 of us.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2005, 11:33 AM »
A picture would be worth a thousand words ...but seeing as my daughter forgot to bring her digital camera to town , I will attempt to describe a few points . 
As stated before, I built a 10" wall around the 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood floor(for structural strength and storage when folded for transportation ). On top of the 4' wide end walls I hinged 50" high rounded-top walls. (I don't know why I didn't use 48" high pieces[a 4x8 piece cut in half]...probably 'cause I had 2 pieces that size already). 42 1/2 " from the floor and 12" from the edge of the wall I cut an 8 " square, (using the piece cut out as a hinged and hookable door) for a stove pipe hole . This square hole is covered , from the inside, with a square of tin . In the middle of the tin is a round hole cut larger than the stove pipe passing through it .I press a tin can through this hole and then put the stove pipe through the tin can, so that air circulates around the hot stove pipe, helping to cool it off .(don't want to melt the plastic tarp, 14 or 15 inches away)
Above the  stove-pipe door(hinged and hooked to keep out snow when transporting), I screwed a support for one of those locking shelf brackets . A piece of rounded-to-shape light steel was welded to the end of the shelf bracket . A geared hose clamp, pop-riveted to this piece of metal securely holds the 3" stove pipe , even in fairly strong winds . The bracket is removed when transporting the sled . 
The down-draft stove I built is 10" wide(including the hinge supports), 16" long and 14 1/2 " high and stands on 5" long legs . I cooked a freshly caught snot-rocket on top of this stove ,but lordy was it hot in there .....PS. ...best tasting jack-fish I ever ate .The 10" wide stove lays flat on floor when sled is packed up .
Hope this helps a bit ....until I can post pics .

polarii

« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2005, 11:02 PM »
I'll keep it short , tired. Last year constructed light weight very portable 4x6x8 shack with 2inch roofers insulation ;black  both sides , very rigid in the strong Gail's yah ho dar. 7 sheets 4x8 . started by building a base floor, and 2ft high wall portions stood 4x8 material on existing box style floor . clamped with 1/2 x4 inch strips 6ft (4) frt and back .ran she bolts through with hex to tighten . three bolt/ per 6ft snugged corners were all tied in with flashing, and bolted through w/ washers to stop pull through. 2 sets of cross country skis on bracket attached to back wall outer side of course. pulled like a dream. very warm with one lantern vented generously. The entire shanty disassembles and stacks up on rear panel with the skis

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2005, 07:10 PM »

Frame being built now hope to finish this by next year. Mine will be 5'x7'.
willing to learn new tactics

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2005, 10:35 AM »
Ran across this web site last year and thought I would post it for anyone interested in a LIGHTWEIGHT!!!! house.Size could be reduced,floor , runners added,different wall and roof coverings.
www.littlegreenhouse.c om/plans

GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 20, 2005, 01:50 PM »
There is a cool heater calculater on this site too.
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/heat-calc.shtml

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.