Author Topic: 8" auger reviews  (Read 6008 times)

Offline AcezHi

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 8" auger reviews
« Reply #30 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:21 PM »
I have the KDrill 7.75 on a Dewalt 20v drill Model # DCD996P2 with 5ah and have been drilling over 3' of ice for my five holes consistently here in Maine this winter and I couldn't be happier.
Last week we had around 40"
That left 3 bars on the battery. I don't even bother taking an extra battery anymore.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:11 PM »
Now that's a sweet auger.  You might be able to retire if you mod a few and sell them as the latest greatest. The pistol is how much?!?
Think of the profit margin  :tipup:

Thanks man!

<°)))>{

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:14 AM »
Not gonna help you now, but the HT Mini Nero will have an 8" model next year(it was mistakenly advertised in the Reeds catalog this year.) I have the 7" and run it on the ridgid drill with 700 torque and 6ah batteries, and it works awesome, even with the 30+ inches of ice we have here in central MN. With all the snow we've gotten this year, I haven't been able to be as mobile as I would like, but I haven't even come close to using one full battery this season yet.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Hey Ice Scratcher.....
Just to be clear on your response, you're saying that starting with this current ice season's Mora models,  I can find an 8" Mora that uses actual 8" flights?  Or did I read your post incorrectly?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Hey Ice Scratcher.....
Just to be clear on your response, you're saying that starting with this current ice season's Mora models,  I can find an 8" Mora that uses actual 8" flights?  Or did I read your post incorrectly?

Yes, you read correctly..

At least that's my understanding..

<°)))>{

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:08 PM »
Yes, you read correctly..

At least that's my understanding..

<°)))>{
"That's my understanding" is like more FALSE NEWS.
I've seen at least 20X NEW Mora 8" augers at Cabelas over the last 2 years and they all have the same 7" diameter flytes.
If anyone has a Mora 8" auger with 8" diameter flytes I'd like to see a picture. I just Don't Believe It.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:13 PM »
"That's my understanding" is like more FALSE NEWS.
I've seen at least 20X NEW Mora 8" augers at Cabelas over the last 2 years and they all have the same 7" diameter flytes.
If anyone has a Mora 8" auger with 8" diameter flytes I'd like to see a picture. I just Don't Believe It.

Just happened, this season, from what I've been following on here.. Might not even be in stores yet..

You don't have to believe it, and I don't care enough to prove it lol..

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Why would you want 8" flights on an 8" auger? You do understand the concept of friction right?
Seems to me to be a rather flawed design... You'd have to put your drill in reverse to get it back out of the hole, catch an edge and snap your wrist

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #38 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:05 AM »
Update to my last post.
Like I mentioned ended up staying with a 6" did not want to upgrade drill quite yet.
Went with 6" K drill, used last 2 outings. Not quite as fast as my nills, but cuts nice. Extremely light easy on the battery.
For tip up fishing I'll run my ion but for hole hopping I really like this K drill.
See how it holds up compared to a nills.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:32 AM »
Ion.No review needed.Thing kicks ass drilled 25-30 holes last week thru 28" in upstate NY np.Third year now.

Until you break 3 sets of blades in 1 month! No ... there was NO abuse involved or multiple users. It was used for 2 years with no problems. They just broke cutting clear ice! By the looks of things this isn't an isolated problem. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't buy one and own a kdrill and Milwaukee clam plate combo. I have experienced no problems except for the original 4 ah batteries not being large enough to cut more than 11-12 holes. I purchased a 9ah battery and it has been amazing. The Ion is my sons and he babies it and once the first blade broke the others broke routinely nearly every time out.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Another thing ive noticed now using the kdrill more, is that its harder on the battery life than my nills was.
But besides that its a good auger.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 21, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Another thing ive noticed now using the kdrill more, is that its harder on the battery life than my nills was.
But besides that its a good auger.

Yeah, chipper blade as opposed to a shaver. Definitely slower and harder on a battery. But the k drill could drill a hole through a hardwood floor and still work the same where if you look at a Nils the wrong way it's off to the sharpener.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #42 on: Mar 21, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Now that's funny!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 22, 2019, 01:19 AM »
Yeah, chipper blade as opposed to a shaver. Definitely slower and harder on a battery. But the k drill could drill a hole through a hardwood floor and still work the same where if you look at a Nils the wrong way it's off to the sharpener.

My K-Drill blades went to junk after 1 week on 2 different sets of blades.  :(

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 23, 2019, 04:12 PM »

Thats why they come with a cover so you dont ruin your blades.
(And safety)
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 24, 2019, 08:31 PM »
You sure you had the drill in the right setting? Also, shouldn’t have to push down hard to get them going.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:51 AM »
Thats why they come with a cover so you dont ruin your blades.
(And safety)

Lol, only ever touched ice. 

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:53 AM »
You sure you had the drill in the right setting? Also, shouldn’t have to push down hard to get them going.

Brand new out of the box the first blades would not cut without downward pressure.  Second set cut like butter for 1 weekend and then the weekend after turned into the same issue.  Huge burr kicked up on the opposite cutting edge.  Seems like the blades are much softer than they should be. 

Used on a new clam plate in drill mode....

I used the same blades on my Ion for over 3 years, only touched the edges up once.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 25, 2019, 07:40 AM »
I put a little downward pressure on my Kdrills, what's the big deal? This is ice fishing, not needle point class. Also, you got to make sure you are not leaning the drill away from the leading edge. In other words, if you are gonna make a hole leaning a tiny bit, better to lean it to the right a little. lean it to the left and the leading edge doesn't grip and cut. I see people all the time complaining about their drill, lean the leading edge into the ice a bit and don't be afraid to push a little. They might be expensive augers but they aren't friggin' black magic. Chipper blades need a little pressure. I abuse the ever loving chit out of my drills and they still cut awesome.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 26, 2019, 12:54 AM »
I put a little downward pressure on my Kdrills, what's the big deal? This is ice fishing, not needle point class. Also, you got to make sure you are not leaning the drill away from the leading edge. In other words, if you are gonna make a hole leaning a tiny bit, better to lean it to the right a little. lean it to the left and the leading edge doesn't grip and cut. I see people all the time complaining about their drill, lean the leading edge into the ice a bit and don't be afraid to push a little. They might be expensive augers but they aren't friggin' black magic. Chipper blades need a little pressure. I abuse the ever loving chit out of my drills and they still cut awesome.

Yeah, downward pressure shouldn't affect blades.  If a HSS drill can be used to pop holes in pretty tough tool steels and other alloys, I'm pretty sure something as soft as ice should be no problem.

Honestly my blades looked to be poorly ground on my K Drill.  Wish I still worked at a place that had a hardness checker to see what the blades came in at....I bet way lower than they're supposed to!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11:55 PM »
Nils has the same head and blade specs as a lazer....only difference is how u deal with the blades.

They are both curved blades, but On my 8in nils the blades don't seem to be curved has much as the Lazer blades. They seem to be a little flatter, yet curved.

Hard to explain, but I know an 8in lazer vs my 8in nils on a drill is night and day difference when it comes to the tourque it takes to turn them.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #51 on: Aug 20, 2019, 09:49 AM »
They are both curved blades, but On my 8in nils the blades don't seem to be curved has much as the Lazer blades. They seem to be a little flatter, yet curved.

Hard to explain, but I know an 8in lazer vs my 8in nils on a drill is night and day difference when it comes to the tourque it takes to turn them.
Are you saying the Nils turn so much easier??
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #52 on: Aug 20, 2019, 08:04 PM »
Are you saying the Nils turn so much easier??

Yes by a large difference. It takes little effort. Just keep the blades sharp. I sharpen mine Once since I bought it. But I drill maybe 30 or so holes an outing. I ran an 8in nils on a Milwaukee 725in lb drill for a couple years with 4ah batteries with 24in of ice no problem. I did upgrade to the 1200in/lb Milwaukee and never had an issue with it even it 24in + ice.

The only thing that sucks about nils is if u need to sharpen it.....only one guy really does it, and you have to send it in. That and a spare cutting head will drop your jaw on how much it cost. Other then that never had one issue with it and been using one for over 7yrs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.