New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great sacandaga is finally frozen!  (Read 26967 times)

Offline CaptZeus

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Great sacandaga is finally frozen!
« Reply #180 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:12 PM »
New to this site... Heading up to the Great Sac for a long weekend on the ice for our annual trip with old friends. This is our 10th year in a row. Fishing from 1/26 to 1/28 between the "I Go Inn" restaurant and the Batchelorville Bridge. Last year was a little warm for this time in January, but we still had a good 8" all around that area (same weekend as the cancelled 2016 Challenge). Been reading the reports and checking the temps for the week. If anyone could give a specific ice report for that area, that would be a great help. Thank you...  Good luck to all!

Offline CaptZeus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #181 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:04 PM »
Last year (Jan. 2016) was our most productive. In 2 days of fishing we managed 6 walleye and 2 pike. Largest 'eye 19 1/2", largest pike 31". All fish released except 1 pike for fish cakes. All fish caught between 8 - 14ft of water, although we fished all depths up to 31ft.

Offline Jasonhammell1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Ice report would be good thanks

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #183 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Now that you have three posts, you have access to the reports and conditions board where all Lake and ice information is posted.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ben k

• IceShanty Rookie
Great Sacandaga Lake
« Reply #184 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:22 PM »
Was wondering if anybody has been to North Hampton part of sacandaga. How much ice and is it safe enough to still go on after the warm weather

Offline frame938

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:54 PM »
I'm looking to fish Great Sacandaga Reservoir this weekend. Does anybody have any tips on where to go to find trout in the lake? This will be my first winter fishing in the area. Thanks.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Go to price chopper, buy a trout, then put it on your line and drop it in the hole, then reel it in. Best shot at targeting a trout on sacandaga. Not sure why anyone who doesnt really know the lake would waste the time and money to fish it.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #187 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:20 AM »
Most Trout become Pike snacks but I've heard of a few being caught in the Batchelorville Bridge area

Offline frame938

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #188 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Go to price chopper, buy a trout, then put it on your line and drop it in the hole, then reel it in. Best shot at targeting a trout on sacandaga. Not sure why anyone who doesnt really know the lake would waste the time and money to fish it.

How does one begin to know a lake without spending the time and money fishing it? Like I said, I am new to the area and am looking for tips. Sorry to waste you time in asking for some friendly advice.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #189 on: Feb 01, 2017, 12:01 PM »
How does one begin to know a lake without spending the time and money fishing it? Like I said, I am new to the area and am looking for tips. Sorry to waste you time in asking for some friendly advice.

I've gotten some trolling for walleye in the open water but through the ice I think I would target the northern arm as previously mentioned and just try tip-ups set not far under the ice with waxworms or worms if you can get them somewhere.  If they behave like stocked trout in most places that would be a good way to try and you'll likely find them in almost any depth. 

Offline tipupjeff521

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Feb 01, 2017, 12:07 PM »

I got a rainbow trout this past August in the middle of the day jigging for walleye near scout island. They are in there but are few and far between. For ice fishing id personally set up shallow near an inlet and hope for the best.
take me to the iceeeeeeeeee

Offline frame938

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Feb 01, 2017, 12:25 PM »
I got a rainbow trout this past August in the middle of the day jigging for walleye near scout island. They are in there but are few and far between. For ice fishing id personally set up shallow near an inlet and hope for the best.

I've gotten some trolling for walleye in the open water but through the ice I think I would target the northern arm as previously mentioned and just try tip-ups set not far under the ice with waxworms or worms if you can get them somewhere.  If they behave like stocked trout in most places that would be a good way to try and you'll likely find them in almost any depth.

Thanks for the advice tipupjeff521 and slipbob. I will certainly take that into consideration. Catching any sort of fish is fun, I just prefer to eat trout. They are also what I am used to fishing for, having moved here from Colorado.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Feb 01, 2017, 03:22 PM »

there is a ton of nice rainbows in Sacandaga.... spent a good 10 years of my life with my grandfather fishing for them there when he was alive and had the house on the lake...granted, this was during open water season but if they are there during open water, they are there through the ice....and I mean we caught ALOT of big ones over 20". Natives and stockers. However, we always caught them in deep water, or over deep water and always caught them in the main channel near bach. bridge....on worm harness's. This was prior to 2008 (when he passed away). Haven't walleye fished/rainbow fished the lake since he passed.....soooo I'm not up to date on the current rainbow population, but it seemed like it used to be impressive.

I remember one year we couldn't get away from them if we tried.

Offline Tanimal85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:11 PM »
I've only seen one caught through the ice and it was over 20 ft of water straight out from the Broadalbin boat launch on a tip up with the bait placed about 6 inches under the ice.  It was a 24 inch rainbow, a really beautiful fish. 
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to ice fish and he'll sit on the ice and drink beer all weekend.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:17 PM »
I've only seen one caught through the ice and it was over 20 ft of water straight out from the Broadalbin boat launch on a tip up with the bait placed about 6 inches under the ice.  It was a 24 inch rainbow, a really beautiful fish.

They are great looking in that lake. The colors really pop.

Thats how we used to catch them during open water season. We would get them usually about 15-20' down over 35-40' of water in the main creek channel... Makes sense during ice season that they would move up. Much like the lakers, salmon etc.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #195 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:01 AM »
Spent the weekend (last) fishing for walleye. Only got one keeper. Very slow. Two guys came in and set up on me in the dark on Sunday. They didn't see my set up in the dark. They got two at sunrise, yards from my set. It is the luck of the draw on that lake.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Ok so apparently iv ruffled some feathers.  Let me explain. You learn sacandaga lake by fishing it with someone who knows what there doing, its that simple. I am very close friends with a man who runs charters on the lake and im sure some of you probably know this man but i will keep his name off this forum. He places in every tournament the lake has (for eyes) during open water and fishes it every day. If your new to the area and dont have anyone pointing you in the right direction for walleye your going to do just that, spend a lot of time, and a lot of money trying to figure it out. Its like they say about deer hunting, if you want to kill big bucks you have to hunt land that holds big bucks. So i guess its like adirondack deer hunting vs southern ny deer hunting. You can hunt for years and not see a deer. You can fish sacandaga all season and if you don't know where to go don't be surprised if you don't catch a thing. Unlike many other lakes within an hour or two of sac that hold large populations of fish and don't take a lifetime to figure out. As for the trout, my source has told me the same thing that most of the guys on here have said, you might catch one randomly while trolling for eyes but to target them there is pretty much a waste of time. But hey for some of you i guess fishing for hours days weeks months to catch one fish is worth it, for me , it is not. Enjoy the dead sea, ill be back when the ice melts to catch smallies, because in MY OPINION, the smallies and a chance at a monster pike are all the lakes good for. And even the smallies run small.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Sacandaga has smallies in it?!

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #198 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:49 AM »
come on SS, lol  they have some good size ones from time to time   :whistle:

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #199 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Step, I agree with almost everything you say. Lots of SMB, some very nice pike. Trout are there but not in great numbers. After 60+ years of fishing walleyes on this lake I have learned a lot about them. You have to find the "spot on the spot". Even those good spots from years past change from year to year. There are more bait fish today than there was years ago. The walleyes move more. The walleyes aren't big but the numbers are there if you put in your time and pay attention to where and how you are catching them. I jig fish most of the time so when I find a spot that is producing I go to other spots with the same make up. Most times I find fish, if the bait fish are there. Even at my old spots that aren't producing I usually find the walleyes close by. You really do have to know the lake but knowing the FISH is just as important. I have always been willing to show and tell others where and how I am fishing as long as I know they don't keep them ALL. I have lots of thoughts on how to make this a better walleye lake but some don't like to hear it. It would help a lot if NYS were to stock some fry into the lake. I know many won't make it but the natural spawn is so hit and miss in the spring, depending levels in the streams....h2l

One other thing: A lake can only support so many fish. Most dependent on the lakes size. This lake is very small in the winter, compared to its size in the summer...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:58 AM »

yea from time to...time.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Step, I agree with almost everything you say. Lots of SMB, some very nice pike. Trout are there but not in great numbers. After 60+ years of fishing walleyes on this lake I have learned a lot about them. You have to find the "spot on the spot". Even those good spots from years past change from year to year. There are more bait fish today than there was years ago. The walleyes move more. The walleyes aren't big but the numbers are there if you put in your time and pay attention to where and how you are catching them. I jig fish most of the time so when I find a spot that is producing I go to other spots with the same make up. Most times I find fish, if the bait fish are there. Even at my old spots that aren't producing I usually find the walleyes close by. You really do have to know the lake but knowing the FISH is just as important. I have always been willing to show and tell others where and how I am fishing as long as I know they don't keep them ALL. I have lots of thoughts on how to make this a better walleye lake but some don't like to hear it. It would help a lot if NYS were to stock some fry into the lake. I know many won't make it but the natural spawn is so hit and miss in the spring, depending levels in the streams....h2l

One other thing: A lake can only support so many fish. Most dependent on the lakes size. This lake is very small in the winter, compared to its size in the summer...h2l

That's all i was saying. If i moved to the area and didn't know a lot about the local lakes, i would hope someone would tell me that sacandaga is extremely difficult to learn find someone to take you and show you or go somewhere else.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #202 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:07 AM »
I feel Sacandaga is actually pretty easy to learn if you have and really know how to use Navionics combined with good sonar.  The mapping detail is very precise for that lake and once you find the depth and pattern it's easy to move from spot to spot and scan for fish with the sonar before you even wet a line.  It's one of the few lakes where you can catch 20 or 30 or more walleyes in the middle of the day all summer long and also very easy to get skunked.  Not a lot of big fish but there are plenty of them. Had some incredible number days there with walleye jigging and trolling. 

Offline frame938

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:09 AM »
That's all i was saying. If i moved to the area and didn't know a lot about the local lakes, i would hope someone would tell me that sacandaga is extremely difficult to learn find someone to take you and show you or go somewhere else.

I appreciate the clarification. Your original post came off as more antagonistic and inhospitable than you might of intended. I am still going to go and fish the lake this weekend. We shall see what happens. Even if I get skunked it is still enjoyable to be out on hard water.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:06 AM »
I keep a boat on the gsl on the mayfield side. I spends most weekends on the lake .In the mornings And nights  I'll fish for eyes off the docks Or in my dinghy I catch them all the time .catch a ton of smallies without even trying I'd say I catch 3-5 fish each day within probably an hour. Now ice fishing..... I went 3 times so far this year and got one pike. Talked to about 15 other people and they all got skunked . So to me it's been a waste of time . I'd rather go to another body and catch 20 plus fish her day

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:12 AM »

Sacandaga smallies are bait fish compared to what I'm used to catching....

But when my wife wants to go out fishing for once on the boat, we go to sacandaga and I give her a suspending jerkbait and she catches smallies. It's fun for her and the boys. She did catch a 3lb smallie there last year. They fight great, just prefer putting my time in on more quality lakes over quantity.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Im with ss on that one. When my buddies want to take their boats to sand island, i meet them there at first light and fish until 10 with them. Get my fill of small fish and go home before the "Pleasure Boaters" fill the lake.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:00 AM »
I've never caught anything big off sand island. I always see a bunch of small boats fishing around the island in the morning when I'm going to the island in the morning. They like to sit in the channel and get mad when people drive by . You see arms and rods in the air .. ha ha

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:11 AM »
I don't fish sand island, i don't party on sand island, just merely a blip on the lake in my eyes.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #209 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:14 AM »
I've never caught anything big off sand island.

I too have never caught anything big, but sure have caught good numbers there.  Both smallies and walleyes.   Open water.   Its always been my first stop from the Broadalbin launch.  My father and I found something over there about 15 years ago that always seems to hold fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.