The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Long/Square Lake  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Re: Long/Square Lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:36 AM »
Hey Doug,
I know some biologists still use gill nets to trap sample certain waters. They need a few fish every now and then to dissect to study stomach contents and overall fish health..
If tended often I believe non targeted fish could be released.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:40 AM »
If not gill nets maybe a weir would be a better option. They could be constructed cheaply and they hold fish live very well. There are options but it's somthing that would need to be continuously used to "help" keep numbers in check.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:46 AM »
And we're not really talking about a long process. Just 2 or 3 weeks tending nets every spring would really show an impact / decline on those yellows in Long.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:53 AM »
I spent all of last week on Square and had about 10 inches of ice and I didn't find the slush too bad.  When we got to town everyone was saying that no one was going across Square yet, so we ended up snowmobiling in 24 miles from North Star.  Once we new the ice conditions and such we were able to move the truck the next day and only had to ride in about 3-4 miles.  Pretty much just fished in front of camp and once I had a trail everything froze.  If I was using the same holes the next day I might end up with a little slush around a hold but nothing major.  I crossed the lake to burnt landing many times as we did some snowmobiling as well and there was only two little slush pockets between limestone point and burnt landing and it was nothing that I was concerned about.  This year is the best access we have had into square in the 10 years I have been going.  Although I will say it will be June probably before we get the boat down Square Lake rd, to put in a camp.  The last 4 miles of Square Lake rd. down to the lake is terrible.  There will need to be a lot of work done this spring as there are trees down everywhere.  Could barely get in with a sled.  I am planning on being back up there the weekend of the derby.  In my 10 years of having a camp up there I have never fished that derby.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:09 AM »
glad you guys got in ok. the sled clubs are working overtime to clear the trails from all the trees dropped in the heavy snow. its a mess for sure!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:19 AM »
And we're not really talking about a long process. Just 2 or 3 weeks tending nets every spring would really show an impact / decline on those yellows in Long.
I've debated this option for awhile. so far nothings come of it. I've mentioned everything you guys did. i think they don't have the manpower to man these traps. they have to do something or their native brookies will disappear and the smelt population will disappear. I've never seen perch numbers as bad as there is in long, square , and cross. froid and eagle aren't as bad because the togue cull them. I've even suggested putting some togue in these lakes to control them. it was like i said to put pike in there! togue are native to these waters originally. why not put some back in there? I've caught togue that were full of perch. they're easier to catch than smelt.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:14 AM »
I've debated this option for awhile. so far nothings come of it. I've mentioned everything you guys did. i think they don't have the manpower to man these traps. they have to do something or their native brookies will disappear and the smelt population will disappear. I've never seen perch numbers as bad as there is in long, square , and cross. froid and eagle aren't as bad because the togue cull them. I've even suggested putting some togue in these lakes to control them. it was like i said to put pike in there! togue are native to these waters originally. why not put some back in there? I've caught togue that were full of perch. they're easier to catch than smelt.

Thanks for your input Steve. As I mentioned before, undertaking a project of this size would take lots of volunteers and time. The results would be dramatic and would certainly reduce yellow perch numbers considably.
As far as introducing togue, our fisheries biologists already know that would be disastrous to Long Lake. Once introduced, togue cannot be controlled. They'll reproduce to the point of no return, just like Sebago Lake and several other lakes in the state have experienced.
Thanks for at least considering other ways to get the yellows under control. I know holding yellow perch derbies won't do enough. Their numbers are too great.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:53 AM »
I got one last idea to throw at your local fisheries biologists. Since yellow perch spawn in the spring time and both trout and salmon spawn in the fall, might be a good idea to get a permit from MIF@W to drag a net by boat in October each year. Should be able to net thousands of yellows while our game fish are in or at the mouths of tributaries. Just another thought to consider. Thanks.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Dennis

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:55 AM »
Does anyone actually do any commercial yellow perch fishing? Long isnt listed as an allowed water on the application form. If it was that might be some incentive for some one to kill alot off.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:05 PM »
thanks for the input dennis. ill email Frank and run it by him. as far as togue, they have never overpopulated in these waters up here. only time we had a problem was when they stocked 7000 in froid and eagle in the mid 90's which was their fault. they don't grow as fast or as aggressive as they do down your way. I'm not saying put thousands a year in but 300 every other year would be great in each lake! they're all about restoring the native brookies but what about the native togue? i think it would strike a balance in these waters. would save them on labor and equipment . the togue would do the work for them and you would see some monster togue get caught! trying to convince the bios of that is another thing!

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:24 PM »
I like Wolley's comments about possibly opening Long to commercial yellow perch harvesting.

I heard your pro togue argument for Long Steve and I like your comments. But what do the bios say that's against introducing togue?

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:29 PM »
they have a no togue attitude because of the bad luck with them down your way. they won't even entertain the idea. its all about the native brookies and salmon. salmon aren't a native. togue was. prior to the 1920's there were no salmon or smelt in the frc. it was togue, brookies, whitefish and suckers w/ some small baitfish. hornpout , fallfish, y.perch were brought from downstate in bait pails by accident. now these species are much more numerous than the game species. my grandfather told me of stories from his childhood of big togue in long and lots of 4-5lb. whitefish!

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Okay Steve, I know we've beaten this subject pretty good. I'll leave you with one final observation of mine which I would like your input on. I've been fortunate to ice fish Long, Eagle, and Froid with Matt, you, and Jay. All 3 lakes have a huge yellow perch problem. Two of the lakes, Eagle and Froid already have large togue in them. Why haven't the togue put a dent in the yellow perch problem? All 3 lakes seem equally burden with yellows?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.