The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fishing etiquette  (Read 4725 times)

Offline crlogging

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing etiquette
« on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Hi all. I fish fort peck a lot and it seems like every good fishing point always has a tip up sitting there that someone comes by a couple times a day and checks. I usually make day trips and set up in one spot for the day. My question is, because I've done this in the past. Is it rude to set up around these tip ups when you have a couple guys taking up all the spots in an area and aren't there fishing? Just looking for opinions on this I am not complaining about it at all. Good luck

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing etiquette
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:58 PM »
I was under the impression that each line must be attended. I don't set lines much more than 25 yards away. Even that is a stretch, and only if there aren't many people around.

Offline crlogging

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:11 PM »
I thought you had to attend them also but if a tip up counts as a set line you only have to check it every 24 hrs and don't have to be there

Offline RJFoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:18 PM »
most bodies of water don't require tipups to be manned. you just have to check them once every 24 hours and they have to be labeled with the proper info. I put 50 yds on my tipups when they are first spooled up so that how close I would get to someone else's. I would use the same guidelines you use for setting up next to someone who is actually fishing.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:27 PM »
I thought you had to attend them also but if a tip up counts as a set line you only have to check it every 24 hrs and don't have to be there

I'm not sure about your state, but in mine and most the states I fish you are allowed X numbers of tip ups and they need to all be with in XX feet of you. If you go over on allowed distance or number your going to get a heavy fine.

I'm not sure of the case here.....however if I understand you right it sounds like some guy is putting tipups out on every good fishing point then leaves the lake or area farther then a reasonable distance allowed by law......then stops every couple hours to check them. Basically, fishing all the good spots but not actually out there fishing.

I'd check your laws and talk with a CO to see if this is allowed. If it wasn't the next time I was out fishing if the guy had his tipup out I'd go pull it and fish right in his hole. I'd leave the tipup with a flag popped on the ice with a note explaining that the next time he does this the CO will be involved, and that people are tired of him putting his tipups on the prime points and leaving the lake. I feel everyone needs a chance to correct actions they are making if wrong. If it happened again I'd take the tipup with his name and info on to the CO so the CO can return it to the guy with a present.

If it's allowed by law and he isn't out there fishing, I don't think it matters how far/close you are to it.

Offline crlogging

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:31 PM »
In our state (montana) on this particular lake I am talking about they are aloud 6 lines and can leave them for 24 hours without checking them if they leave there name, address, als number on them. And they don't need to be there

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Not rude at all, set up and fish.

Offline OTTOCAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:24 PM »
Not rude at all, set up and fish.

X2

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:34 PM »
In our state (montana) on this particular lake I am talking about they are aloud 6 lines and can leave them for 24 hours without checking them if they leave there name, address, als number on them. And they don't need to be there

If that's the case then setup and fish. Not rude if nobody is there.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:46 PM »
Just don't tamper with the trap and you should Be fine.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:48 AM »
I say your ok.  Every now and then you will get somebody who "thinks" your to close to them and will make a fuss about it.  It is a good idea to give them a little space.  I personally dont get closer than 30 feet or so.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:41 AM »
You cant claim an area with an unmanned line,move of 20 yards and setup.
Dont ask

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Personally, whenever setting up next to somebody, I always go introduce myself and have them show me their lines, then set-up a respectful distance away (15-20 yards or so). If there is no one there, I'd set up about that distance, or whatever makes you feel comfortable. This has been a forever issue in other cold states, not necessarily in regards to tip-ups, but permanent houses set up on the best fishing holes, with no one in them, and this rule of thumb has never let me down in any situation.

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Like what most of the guys on here have said, set up 20 yards away. I’ve had people set their shelters or tip ups 15 feet from my lines and that can be a little frustrating but I think 20 yards is plenty.

Offline MNinMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Love IA’s comment. Coming from MN set lines were a foreign concept to me. I don’t get upset with people wanting to fish near me, but keeping a reasonable distance to avoid crossing lines And then limiting atv/snowmobile traffic are the considerations one should make. I think 20 yards is plenty and hey if you get hooked up with a guy who has 100’ on his lines then oh well shake it off it happens. We met a couple guys on peck last year that “claimed” some humps we wanted to fish. We could tell from our conversation with them that they thought it would be an infringement on their territory if we fished next to them so we found a different area. Ended up assisting a guy later in the day set up on our location and he shared some info and experience with us. He said he had 4 times as many strikes/bites from walleyes when he used a 3-4’ mono leader on his tip ups. We had fireline crystal and thought we were going undetected. We hadn’t caught any fish(some bites and missed opportunities!) but he shared that valuable info with us and we watched as he iced a limit of walleyes each day. Now I tie on a fluorocarbon leader on my rods I have set for walleyes and run a swivel on my tips ups to change out different rigs depending on what and where I’m fishing. Some guys get so caught up in this is my spot, or you’re going to crowd this area and steal my fish. Coming from MN where we often fish gunnel to gunnel in tight areas and absolutely crush fish in those conditions it doesn’t bother me. There’s a lot of room on these big lakes. Partner up and share your success, it won’t hurt you this time out or next time.

Offline chartreusealltheway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Wow! This is awkward. I'm the guy who left the hell Creek Marina cabin rental with my wife at first light in the morning to go check our overnight setlines.  We were leaving for home that morning after 3 successful days.  So it didn't bother me that somebody moved in on our tip ups.  I was bothered as to the distance away from our spot, but we were leaving anyhow.

I would like to say to everybody that this state is getting too busy for me.  When I go fly fishing it seems like every river bend has a person on it.  When I go hunting it's the same.  So when I go for first ice (dangerous!) icefishing I hope to have the place to myself, but like we have all experienced that's no longer the case. 

Coming from an angler who grew up on lake Superior, I've been the perpatraitor of this very thing.  The "big" lake, Superior that is, freezes over once in every 20 years or so.  I was there the last time and we had to take snowmobiles 5 miles out to find a fishable piece of ice that was only 100ft by 50ft in size.  Everywhere else was like icebergs, ice chunks the size of cars tilted, so you would need a 20 ft auger to go through.  When we found this one flat section of good ice that hadn't turned on its side, there was somebody sitting in the middle and we posted up right next to him, caught a laker in 135ft of water, and left.  He was nice about it. He knew a guy that we all knew, small town stuff. But I remember feeling bad about pulling the only fish that day.  I wished he would of got it.

Anyhow, enough rambling, I could go on and on about "combat" fishing lake Superior.  Where nobody knows what catch and release is because they are trying to catch dinner.  Or the boat next to you cast a line over yours to see what your using for a lure.  Or the people (my grandpa usually) on shore watching with binoculars to see how the fishing is.

Thinking of these memories makes me realize one thing, each time I was with other people, and it's because of these fishing trips with other people that made it a good time.  So after all this, I'd say, fish where you god damn want to fish and make some good memories!

Offline John.lafountain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:55 PM »
I run across this all the time and just set up where I would as if they were not there. Have never had an issue with it.

Offline crlogging

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Nice post chartreuse I agree 100%. Anyone who goes out in below zero weather on a windy chunk of ice does it to have a good time. We all love what we do and shouldn't take a good time away from anyone else. I say fish wherever you want but do it with respect of other people's gear. 20 yard sounds like a reasonable distance just to prevent getting tangled in there lines.

Offline IceAce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:05 AM »
This has been a great thread. I am an avid open water fisherman but fairly new to ice fishing. We hiked out about a mile on canyon ferry the other day to the only spot I’ve found so far to catch perch, but their was a group set up already right in it. I wasn’t sure if it was ok to set up near them so we kept hiking and didn’t catch squat. Now at least I know I won’t get shot for setting up 50 yards or so away.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I wasn’t sure if it was ok to set up near them so we kept hiking and didn’t catch squat.

Sounded like a good opportunity to initiate a friendly conversation. I think what irks most folks is having someone horn in on their set-up without saying a word. Sharing info with them about how you did and what you used previously at that spot might have opened the door for an invitation to join them or an opportunity to ask if they’d mind having a neighbor.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Well stated by all. I think the recurring theme here is respect. You respect my personal space and equipment and I'll do the same for you. You come and approach me in a respectful manner, I'll treat you with the same respect. You come over all huffy and puffy and it is likely not going to be nearly as nice of an experience.

Tight lines all.  Very happy about this cold spell that has set in here in Central Montana. Can't get out this weekend as the spousal unit has other plans for me, but will do whatever I can to get out next weekend.

GF   

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Well stated by all. I think the recurring theme here is respect. You respect my personal space and equipment and I'll do the same for you. You come and approach me in a respectful manner, I'll treat you with the same respect. You come over all huffy and puffy and it is likely not going to be nearly as nice of an experience.

Tight lines all.  Very happy about this cold spell that has set in here in Central Montana. Can't get out this weekend as the spousal unit has other plans for me, but will do whatever I can to get out next weekend.

GF

Its amazing how many people dont understand that point of view,treating others the way you expect to be treated just doesnt make sense to some people.
Dont ask

Offline 12BHNTN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:56 PM »
As stated by many...great conversation.  When I fish Canyon Ferry I walk about 1.5 miles to a specific waypoint that treats me well more often than not.  Last time I fished there I was surprised to have two vehicles of fishermen camped right on it.  One guy's hole was literally on my waypoint...although I didn't tell him as much.  I asked if they minded if I set up a little ways behind them and was given a very pleasant nod of approval.  We all enjoyed a very good day of catching jumbos.  I have since found a better spot so haven't been back, but it's good to know that good people might be fishing it.

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:42 PM »
It's amazing how many people seem to have forgotten how far "hi, how are you, mind if..." can get ya.

Sure, some situations don't lend themselves to a crowd, but perch don't seem to mind.

FYI, "Need a beer?" Is another phrase that can open a lot of doors. ☺

"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:51 AM »
sure i will take a beer then you can go 30 ft away and start drilling .
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Bring some hot dogs and a grill and Ill drill your holes for you! ;D
Dont ask

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:42 AM »
i'll clean out the holes.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline crlogging

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Forget the hotdogs catch a fish and throw on that grill.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Probably illegal per MT F&G... :-\
Dont ask

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Probably illegal per MT F&G... :-\

Interesting thought which I never considered. Not to jack the thread, but at what point can you consume fish? What if you were to camp on the ice? What if you took fish from home to cook on the ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.