The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Electric Augers  (Read 4485 times)

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Electric Augers
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:13 AM »
So I've finally had enough of my Jiffy 10".  When approaching 0 degrees, the damn thing runs like crap.  I take excellent care of it and perform all the maintenance & precautions. Witnessed 75% of gas augers fail last Friday on Holter whereas the electric units ran circles around us.  Which is the best electric auger?  Seen ION & Strikemaster versions but wonder where to start.  By the way, anyone looking for a killer deal on a Jiffy, PM me because I'll never make long trips with a gas powered unit again.

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Electric Augers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:30 AM »
My 10" jiffy 4G has been runnin like a champ all year and the last 3  years had it at Tiber last 3 days stayed outside the whole time and never got above 0 no issues. It's amazing what a little adjustment on the carbeuater screw will do I bet 90% of gas augers are runnin to lean or to rich. Just like every electronic that battery on those augers are gonna fail on you

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Having bought 2 new Jiffy units in 12 years I've progressed beyond gas power.  I'm pretty handy w/engines and can adjust carbs as well.  Looking for input on electric augers from people who own same. 

Offline MTsGrumpyIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JC
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Hi Slick, hope the 2017 season is treating you well (besides auger).  I don't have exactly an "electric" auger (Ion or such) but for last couple of years have used a Nils hand/drill convertible auger with a Dewalt 18 v. Drill (low geared, high torque) and it cuts through this year's ice quite well.  I have been able to drill several holes before a guy with a power auger, near me, had half as many (we both had 6" augers).  There is also an 8" version that has pretty good reviews.
I have a back up battery and keep them both in a small, insulated lunch tote (while not being used) with cpl of larger "hand warmers" and haven't had any problems to date.
:Ice fishing, because staying warm is for pansies.☃
:Ice fisherman can walk on water, beat that.😉
:Ice fishing, only the strong or the clinically insane survive.😜
:When Hell freezes over....I'll ice fish there too!🎣😈
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Been running the ION X all season. Zero issues. I went to pick up my Eskimo 10" on Saturday and about separated my spine from my body. I had forgotten how big and how much it weighed compared to the ION.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Thanks for the updates.  Hey Mslafsh . . . have you had any issues with 0 or below temps & battery life/performance?  Some reviews for electric units have negative feedback regarding battery life unless the temp is 40+.  It seems that taking the battery off the head & keeping it warm may provide longer life but wonder if I drill a dozen or more holes at the offset with negative temps would the battery get sluggish?  More often than not, I hop around a lot searching for fish.  Average 8 hour outing may produce 30 holes.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:28 PM »
been using it all day, haven't drilled a ton of holes with it daily. Decent amount like dozens of holes  per day. Had it  out all day yesterday unprotected and it wasn't warm and had zero issues. Ive been seeing posts around that guys are doing the same ( leaving battery out) and having no issues at all. Not sure what the temp is they are using them at though. I had a little lunch box i lined with foam to put it in with a hand warmer if it ever does start to get sluggish.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:41 PM »
Are you using the ION 40 or the ION X?  Wonder if the X is worth the extra cash?  They claim an additional 60% battery life w/the X.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:19 PM »
I'm on my 2nd season with a pre-X Ion and without any issues.  Love it.  It does everything I need, no fuss/no muss.  When it's below zero, I'll put the battery in an insulated lunch bag with a hand warmer but I really doubt that's necessary.  I have a spare battery which, thus far, remains unused despite a lot of hole hopping and tip-up drilling.  I was pretty surprised how quickly a battery recharges.  I upgraded directly from a hand auger to electric so I can't fairly compare it to a gas or propane unit but I will admit I cringe a little whenever I hear the repeated grunts from someone trying to fire up an uncooperative fuel auger.   ;)   

I don't think Glen's Army-Navy is still a sponsor here but I got a great deal from them last season.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:54 PM »
Done deal.  My darling bride of 45 years just ordered the ION thru Amazon.  I'll have it by Wednesday afternoon.  Can't wait to stop this nonsense of gas powered, messy, inconsistent and unreliable gas units.  Like I said earlier, I've got a 10" Jiffy at a rippin price for sale.  Tired of traveling 3 hours to fish and have to beat myself up with auger issues due to zero degree temeratures.  Thanks for the support guys.

Offline Trexzeus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:57 PM »
I have had my ion 3 yrs. Never had a problem with it. Lightweight, no gas fumes in the truck or on my equipment. Have not had to sharpen the blades. I will never go back to gas augers. My 9 year old daughter can even drill holes with it!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Although you'll get some funny looks when you use it, the reverse gear is a great feature you'll enjoy as well.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Just Checking them out. Do you guys think you could put a 10" drill on off a different auger and will it have enough power 2 run it all day?

Never mind just looked on amazon you can order the 10" blade for 150$. Just might have 2 get one.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:56 PM »
Thought about the 10" adaptation as well but settled on an 8" model.  Really stoked about using the new ION instead of "old unreliable" gasers.

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Just put a new set up together with a dewalt 20V lithium drill, clam auger plate and a 7" mora auger. Thing is a beast and very lightweight.  Into the entire setup $210.  I wish I would have made the change years ago. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:16 PM »
I love my 10" gas auger but holy hell it felt like picking up a truck after using that ION X. I just cant emphasize enough how pleasant it is to use.
I have friends using the 10" blade and they report no issues but I don't know if they drill holes like I do ;D
FYI There's a batch of augers out there that they painted with the wrong paint and the slush sticks to the blade and the hole guard. If you are drilling holes fast and furious you can keep your blades clean with water and it wont be an issue at that point  but at some point it will be. Oh yeah, when you pull it out of the hole after drilling and set it to the side of the hole with the blade on the ice to clean the hole or whatever the snow sticks a lot too.
BUT if you call Ardisam they will replace the entire auger blade for you. They wanted me to send mine back but i said that's not going to happen since its go time right now. The gal i talked to said she would talk to someone to see if she can send the part and let me RMA mine when the new part arrived, she was gone for about 10 seconds and when she came back she said they would send the new part and I can send mine back when the new part arrives. FYI I talked to her on Thursday and when I called today they said she no longer works there....
To tell if you got an auger that has the wrong paint, look at the black round guard at the bottom of the auger bit. If its dull/matte finish thats the bad paint. If its shiny like the green paint on the flutes you're good.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:28 PM »
I'll look hard when it arrives.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Breazey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's only cold when you go swimming..
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Perfect timing on this post.  I'm just now getting back into ice fishing after a 30 year break.  I've been researching propane vs. gas augers, and just kind of overlooked electric.  Now after reading this post, and actually researching electrics, I'm now settled on the ION, and Sportsmans Guide has it for $450.  Thanks everyone for all the info and things to think about! 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:05 PM »
  They claim an additional 60% battery life w/the X.
The ION X box says 1600" of ice on one charge.
Thats 133 holes through 12" of ice on one charge.  :)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:29 AM »
I have friends using the 10" blade and they report no issues but I don't know if they drill holes like I do ;D

I'm 99.9% sure no one does !!  :roflmao:

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Although you'll get some funny looks when you use it, the reverse gear is a great feature you'll enjoy as well.
totally agree...the reverse flush leaves just a slight bit of slush to skim off the top...as the ice gets thicker..its a pleasant feature for sure!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:55 AM »

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:12 PM »
wish you many hook-ups

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:51 PM »

I am sure all three of these products are decent...but one thing to consider..is speed really that important...I woulda liked to see the trial switch users for each product...the fellow using the strikemaster is obviously taller and can exert more force..which is not necessary at all...I am sure all 3 are fine..but I bet the tall guy coulda won the trial no matter what stick he was using...kinda a tortoise n hair mentality..to me.. i'd rather see how a battery can last thru the day...than see how quickly one can bust a whole..especially when its really only a matter of seconds..

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Well said Chris. You make some great points about that video. Three great augers that will all do what the owner expects.

I don't know.....I guess I've just never thought of hardwater fishing as a race !!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:14 PM »
I am sure all three of these products are decent...but one thing to consider..is speed really that important...I woulda liked to see the trial switch users for each product...the fellow using the strikemaster is obviously taller and can exert more force..which is not necessary at all...I am sure all 3 are fine..but I bet the tall guy coulda won the trial no matter what stick he was using...kinda a tortoise n hair mentality..to me.. i'd rather see how a battery can last thru the day...than see how quickly one can bust a whole..especially when its really only a matter of seconds..

Here you go! 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:35 PM »
My vote is for the ION
Couple years now of awesomeness only ran battery low once and that was after 50+ holes and battery was not insulated
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline Baconator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:55 PM »
This must be the year to switch- I also got away from gas and switched to a new Nils Convertible and a DeWalt 20V brushless drill. I was blown away at how well it works! So fast and SO light. You know, getting older ain't for sissys- having to reduce how much weight you're dragging around because of a bad back, knees, it sucks! But on the plus side, having the money to upgrade to newer, lighter, faster, more reliable gear ain't half bad :)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:14 AM »
Here you go! 

That video gives a tidbit of info to keep tucked away in the back of the noggin. It would take me 3 - 4 outings to drill that many holes. For the average user I think it's useless info. I think what's being missed on the electric auger topic is the fact that most users have switched because of difference in weight, quietness, no more mixing & smelling fuel & maybe it being the new fad plays a part in it as well. I really don't think speed of drilling a hole or the number of holes drilled on a single battery are the selling points.

For me it was lighter weight, no more dealing with fuel & yes it being the new thing. I do like the reduced noise level as well. I'll be 50 years old this year. I've abused my body working labor intensive jobs for 30+ years & at the age of 45 my body began reminding me that I wasn't 20 years old anymore. After lugging around & using the Jiffy Model 30 my body thanks me for going electric.

I can't wait to see the advancement of the electric auger in the next 5 - 10 years. It will be interesting to see how many gas/propane users make the switch in the future. Young or old, one of the electric auger options is a smart choice if the funds permit it.

This concludes your dose of useless reading for the day - LOL !!

Offline cwagnerph7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:58 AM »
I have a pre-x edition too, bought it quite a few seasons ago (can't remember how long). It has been fantastic. I bought the insulated battery bag and always have a spare, but seldom do I have to use it. I can easily drill 20-30 holes with it with no problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.