The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Stolen Can am Renegade  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Alvin Richter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • elkbone
Re: Stolen Can am Renegade
« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Glad u got your wheeler back.When u go to court hopefully stiff penalty & restitution.I hope that cop has to testify & Judge sets him straight on what his job is!

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:53 AM »
They had a guy in jail, but without a confession they have no proof.  I can't get them to fingerprint the machine or even call me back for that matter.  No idea if the guy is still in jail.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:09 AM »
Good grief.  At least you got it back.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:19 AM »
They had a guy in jail, but without a confession they have no proof.  I can't get them to fingerprint the machine or even call me back for that matter.  No idea if the guy is still in jail.

Have an attorney call the police chief and the prosecutor. Should not have to force the police to do their job, but some pressure may do the trick if they have forgotten protecting you (us) from scum is more important than protecting scum from other scum which is par for the course now.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #34 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:19 AM »

Jail  ???

a creative judge would just sentence him to provide "one more decoration" for your recently recovered ATV
  :callcops:

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Jail  ???

a creative judge would just sentence him to provide "one more decoration" for your recently recovered ATV

(Image removed from quote.)

???  Huh?

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:15 PM »
 OK, if I have to explain; here goes ...

see what's hanging between the tires of that ATV ?

when a thief is caught with YOUR bike, he should be required to provide the pair of "decorations" that HE was BORN with...
 to be hung on your bike as a reminder to the guy who stole your bike and as a deterrent to any other POS who may think theft is a good idea

^ ^ (hyperbole ? ... maybe) but ya get the picture now, eh ?
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Jail  ???

(Image removed from quote.)

???  Huh?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:46 PM »
 ;D

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 24, 2013, 01:36 PM »

I dont get that. Even if they cant prove the theft, they still have POSSESSION OF STOLEN PROPERTY, valued greater than $1000.00, which is a felony in Wyoming. That is assuming he was with the machine when they contacted him. I would be shocked if Montana wasn't the same. Wenger is right except you dont need an attorney to do it. Call the Chief of Police and chat with him about your concerns and frustrations. The prosecutor has nothing to do with it at this stage of the game. Until he gets a filed case, he would not even know what you are talking about.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 24, 2013, 02:02 PM »
The problem is that he was arrested for something else and was not in possession of the quad.  It was stored in someone else's shed.  When those people found the quad in their shed they called it in.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 24, 2013, 02:07 PM »
The problem is that he was arrested for something else

hmmmm, gonna take a shot in the dark here ...
Posession of Meth ?
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2013, 02:46 PM »
I dont get that. Even if they cant prove the theft, they still have POSSESSION OF STOLEN PROPERTY, valued greater than $1000.00, which is a felony in Wyoming. That is assuming he was with the machine when they contacted him. I would be shocked if Montana wasn't the same. Wenger is right except you dont need an attorney to do it. Call the Chief of Police and chat with him about your concerns and frustrations. The prosecutor has nothing to do with it at this stage of the game. Until he gets a filed case, he would not even know what you are talking about.

If the guy is being charged with another crime, the prosecutor would love to have another charge to pursue.   

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:19 PM »
If the guy is being charged with another crime, the prosecutor would love to have another charge to pursue.

Cant say I disagree but it sounds like the Police lack that tiny little detail called PROBABLE CAUSE. It doesnt sound to me like a failure to do their job. Sounds like circumstances are making it difficult to build a case. Cant file a case until you have the probable cause to do so. Prosecutor doesnt even want to see the case until he is handed something he can prove. Glad you got your wheeler back Robby. Hope you had insurance to help you get it back in shape.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:45 PM »

Well if fingerprinting might give them that little piece they need, but they won't even try it.
 then it tends to give the appearance that maybe there's some apathy, initiative and/or priorities problems

May or may not be the actual case, but appearances/perceptions will go a long ways in these type of situations.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:09 AM »
Did you ever figure out how they got it hot wired/started?

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 25, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Well if fingerprinting might give them that little piece they need, but they won't even try it.
 then it tends to give the appearance that maybe there's some apathy, initiative and/or priorities problems

May or may not be the actual case, but appearances/perceptions will go a long ways in these type of situations.

I agree Desperado. That certainly is suspect. His prints anywhere on that ATV would at least show that he, at one time, did posses it. Not the whole case but a darn good start. Law enforcement is like any other business. Sometimes you get good customer service and sometimes its bad. Its easy to get over whelmed in that profession. Not an excuse, but the call load for Peace Officers across the nation is simply mind boggling in many jurisdictions. There is no way I would argue your point Desperado because you are 100% correct.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 25, 2013, 01:54 PM »
There is no way I would argue with your point Desperado because you are 100% correct.

I usually am (at least according to my wife anyhow).  Isn't that right - errr I mean 100% correct - darlin' ? :whistle:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 25, 2013, 01:58 PM »
If they decide not pursue angles such as finger printing, how the ATV got where it did etc, then they close doors that might be opened to other crimes and other criminals. There were certainly others involved and who know what else will be uncovered?

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:12 PM »
If they decide not pursue angles such as finger printing, how the ATV got where it did etc, then they close doors that might be opened to other crimes and other criminals. There were certainly others involved and who know what else will be uncovered?

Now you hit the nail on the head Wenger. That is probably the most important point in this discussion. This is not the first rodeo for these dirt bags and more than likely they could solve a slew of thefts and burglaries with a little bit of concentrated effort.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.