The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ---Corn as bait topic----  (Read 4464 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: ---Corn as bait topic----
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2012, 12:20 AM »
Have the clowns at Freezeout not shoot at birds 200 yards high...nuff said.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2012, 12:57 AM »
Here's something you may not have thought of....half-cooked macoroni.

Rainbow trout, kokanee, burbot, even the occasional laker, but whitefish especially can't leave it alone. The biggest problem is keeping it on a hook, however small circles take care of that.

Ted

Offline Anyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:09 AM »
The macaroni is a pretty good idea!  You could mix some shrimp oil or any other scent in there.

IceCreeper

« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:28 AM »
200 yards?Didnt you know they extened that to 250 on opening weekend?

Offline Buckshot86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Relax, the cold weather cometh.

No reason to believe anyone here is an unethical hunter that shoots out of range. Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Unethical as in dumping so much corn down your hole your going to cause the extinction of the entire trout population of the planet earth?Ethics are for politicians(hypocrites) to preach about,unless your breaking a law its nobody's business but your own how much corn you use or how far your shooting at birds,if you have a problem with it run for office and create a new law that tells us your ethics should be our ethics.

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2012, 03:06 PM »
I think everyone is a little fired uo due to lack of ice perhaps.   Corn was illegal in Mt until recently i believe.   Still is in wyoming and other states, but not every reason behind the ban stems from fish nutrition issues and is up for debate.  The ban in Utah seems to stem from people who were chumming with it on such a scale that it was causing terrible smells on the water, etc.   I have used corn almost everywhere around bozeman, results for me have been about the same as other bait, sometimes it can work well, but it is no silver bullet. 

Offline bsharp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:11 PM »
shoot a tighter choke. i shoot a full because it puts just about the same amount of steel pellets into a twenty inch circle at forty yards as lead with a smaller choke (mod,improved). i miss some birds because of the tight pattern (thats my story) but it cut the amount of birds i wound down about 50%. as for the whole corn idea i think it works as good as anything else.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Try the pattern master super full/steel,if you can put up with the added noise you will love it.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 11, 2012, 12:11 AM »
The whole lead shot ban came about because the birds were ingesting it, not getting wounded from getting shot.  I think I miss more pheasants with lead than ducks with steel.  Maybe I got used to the way steel patterns.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2012, 12:44 AM »
The ban came about because the EPA cow tows to environmental whack job groups that do whatever they can to chip away at our hunting rights,just like the no lead in rifle ammo ban now in effect in CA,one more step towards their goal.Some day they will decide that there is too much steel shot in the water and do away with shotgun hunting all together,dont think it cant happen.

Offline bsharp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2012, 03:12 PM »
It only takes one lead pellet that is ingested by waterfowl to be lethal. Currently lead shot today is still killing about 3 million birds a year and the national lead shot ban was put into place in 1991 for waterfowl. I dont mind shooting steel if it saves birds a horrible death by lead poisoning.

IceCreeper

« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2012, 05:02 PM »
I suppose that data came straight from your own research?Or straight from the mouths of the enviros pushing for more regulation?

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Guess I'm not certain why steel vs lead is even on here, but the above facts are accurate, I just checked them out.
Fact 1: Steel is here to stay for waterfowl. I'v shot it since it was made mandatory, load my own, and have no problem dropping birds. The key for me was to move up in shot size and become a good caller. I've been a waterfowler for about 45 years.
Fact 2: Lead, even after all these years is still causing bird deaths in quite large numbers , but then compared to all bird deaths amounts to about 10 to 12% of total deaths from all causes. Most of these studies were conducted in bodies of water with hard bottom that would retain the shot where birds can still get it. Lead has not been shown to be a factor in anything when used for upland game.
Fact 3: Only California has outlawed lead bullets, as far as I can find,  largely because of condor deaths. There was an attempt to push it nationally by some anti-hunting groups awhile ago but was tossed out by the courts due to inabitity to show sufficient damage or cause.
Now it would really be nice to get back to the "corn as bait topic" and stay there. We like to talk about ice fishing here.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:06 PM »
How in the hell would anyone know if lead was still killing birds?Do they scour the earth looking for dead birds and autopsy each one looking for a lead pellet and then determine thats what killed it?Lead is still killling birds all right,all during our upland season and to the north and south of us its still used during waterfowl season.Bird numbers in Canada are off the charts,I guess all those lead pellets laying around up there arnt as deadly as they claim,if you buy into their BS Ive got some oil leases in Nodak Id like to sell ya.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #45 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:13 PM »
 ;D
Wow..a whole thread dedicated to corn as bait and not one comment from yeti milk??? Weird....
So many fish, so little time.

Offline FishArms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Corn has no nutritional value for trout? Well neither does powerbait, swedish pimples, or wooly buggers.

Agreed.  I don't think that it is probably any worse for fish than ingesting artificial baits.  As long as you're just using it on a hook as bait and not chumming with it, I don't see where there would be a huge issue.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Yes Nonya, they do retrieve dead birds and disect them, lots of them. Lead ingested, lead into the gizzard, residue into the liver. I supplied my neighbor with  livers for two seasons while he did his Chemistry masters degree on the topic. Believe as you will. Back to fishing.......
Papa out.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #48 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Yup, endless proof that lead shot poisons and kills birds. 

Offline bsharp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2012, 01:05 PM »
No its just a lil something i picked up while going to college for my ecology degree. ornithology is a very interesting course

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.