The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ---Corn as bait topic----  (Read 4466 times)

Bullelk34

---Corn as bait topic----
« on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:19 AM »
There's alot of corn talk lately..   

I don't ever use corn, mostly because I don't target trout. But it got me thinking about it. It seems when I lived close to Wyoming (I used to get a license every year) corn was illegal there. I think I heard that fish can't digest it, and if they eat too much it will kill them. Does anyone know if it's true?

Offline grizinidaho

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ---Corn as bait topic----
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:21 AM »
There's alot of corn talk lately..   

I don't ever use corn, mostly because I don't target trout. But it got me thinking about it. It seems when I lived close to Wyoming (I used to get a license every year) corn was illegal there. I think I heard that fish can't digest it, and if they eat too much it will kill them. Does anyone know if it's true?
goes to show it isn't healthy to be a vegetarian if ya ask me and I have never had any luck with corn

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:22 AM »
I read everything available on the net a few years ago on this topic and couldn't come to any resolution.  As far as using it as a bait, I find it hard to believe that one, maybe two, pieces of corn could really harm a healthy fish.  On the other hand, if you're dropping handsfull down the hole and a few fish and hoovering it all up... Who knows?  Anyhow, my point is that I found nothing from a scientific standpoint pointing one way or another.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Just some thoughts on the topic...
Corn does not hurt bears, raccoons, or humans.
It doesn't have any nutritional value to trout.

Look inside of a trouts stomach and see sticks, stones, hemlock leaves, exoskeletons of crayfish, insects, and invertebrates.
Corn does not "swell" in a trouts stomach and kill them...a trout's body temperature is regulated by the temp of the water it is in. Aren't they always colder then bears, raccoons, and people? A person's body temp is 98.6° - that will ferment and swell corn if anything will. I certainly don't think a trouts body temp would get that high. A trout in water that warm is already dead.

"Swelling" is caused by fermenting which is not very likely caused by a trout's body temperature.

Besides...it passes right through you and I most times why not a trout?  :)

DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Farm raised fish are fed soy and corn, so unless it's illegal in MT, it probably would work as bait, particularly for trout.
                                                                      LT Iceshanty National Moderator

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Ive caught trout out of Hauser with a gut full of it,it must be working.

Offline pump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:21 PM »
The theory that I hears was it acts as a superlaxative. They literally crap off too much weight and are susceptible to illness.

Offline buck snot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:37 PM »
There were a few guys really hitting the corn hard last year.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline smokeybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:20 PM »
I've always had good luck using white corn for Kokanee.  One kernel on a small jig w/ a spike behind it to help hold it on.

Offline fishjunkie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines and smoking reels
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:23 PM »
i like  to  use  the  white  corn   works  good on the  kokes how  are  things  going  for you  bullelk34 ?
early to bed early to  rise  fish like  hell and  make up lies

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:03 PM »
I use corn for trout, and Have even gotten perch on corn. As far as being bad for the fish, there was a study done in 1992 at the Benner Spring Fish Research Station that concluded that trout fed corn didn't die from it, but they didn't get enough nutritional value to grow as fast as trout fed a More balanced diet.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Bullelk34

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Going well fishjunkie- thanks!

I did some more research on this too, and I see as well they are finding it just isn't very nutritional for them.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Makes sense...they eat it, don't greatly benefit from it yet it isn't really harmful and it's legal.

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:15 PM »
Please don't believe it works! That will leave more trout , perch and kokanee for the rest of us! White shoe peg works awesome for kokanees. I also use rice to mimic maggots. Try soaking it in mineral oil or sparkle fish scent. Think about it. Under the ice, you have to capitalize on what you can. Light, scent, glowing lures and movement/sound. Corn and chum is a great tool to stimulate the bite. Tight lines boys!!!
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:56 AM »
I've used corn in several waters on our side of the hill, with 0-100% success. Some lakes I've done better than others, some lakes white worked better than yellow, but tomorrow yellow would be better than white.

I usually have some in my tackle box, so it's worth a shot.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline dEvIOusFisH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Never had any luck with corn and trout. Kokanee and corn however is a different story. Always seem to have some action...
IcEd oUt

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2012, 04:54 PM »
If a fish eats too much of anything it will die. Corn in moderation is no problem. Its mostly BS , like lead shot. Something the PETAS can complain about.
Try corn soaked with fish scent oil. A little goes a long way.
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2012, 04:56 PM »
If a fish eats too much of anything it will die. Corn in moderation is no problem. Its mostly BS , like lead shot. Something the PETAS can complain about.
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2012, 05:13 PM »
when the ice thickens enough I may jig a full ear of corn. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline pikeassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Wow..a whole thread dedicated to corn as bait and not one comment from yeti milk??? Weird....

Offline Buckshot86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:00 PM »

Corn has no nutritional value for trout? Well neither does powerbait, swedish pimples, or wooly buggers. Trout eat all sorts of things in nature with no nutritional value such as pebbles or debris. It seems bs just like lead shot, but I am open to being wrong.  The PETA folks claimed that birds died from lead poisoning which I suppose could be possible, though I have never heard of this being documented. Steel is much less dense then lead. My simple redneck logic dictates that steel shot harms wildlife even more then lead since it wounds so many birds. It just does not have the knockdown power of lead. I quit hunting one day just because my steel shot kept wounding birds which seemed wrong to me. I suppose the PETA folks out east have fancy schooling and despite never even holding a gun, probably know best. If someone here is a hunter that loves the lead ban, I'd be interested to hear why.

An old man I fished with used to tip his crawlers with it while trolling for trout and swore up and down that it was best. I wanted to see if it made a difference and just used worms without the corn. I caught just as many fish, if not more, and could not see a difference. The experiment has to be inconclusive though since fish behave different just about every trip or even hourly.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I kill plenty of birds with steel...never known anything different, the corn debate is in my opinion a dead horse...

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Amen to that.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Just some thoughts on the topic...
Corn does not hurt bears, raccoons, or humans.
It doesn't have any nutritional value to trout.

Look inside of a trouts stomach and see sticks, stones, hemlock leaves, exoskeletons of crayfish, insects, and invertebrates.
Corn does not "swell" in a trouts stomach and kill them...a trout's body temperature is regulated by the temp of the water it is in. Aren't they always colder then bears, raccoons, and people? A person's body temp is 98.6° - that will ferment and swell corn if anything will. I certainly don't think a trouts body temp would get that high. A trout in water that warm is already dead.

"Swelling" is caused by fermenting which is not very likely caused by a trout's body temperature.

Besides...it passes right through you and I most times why not a trout?  :)

The last I checked the digestive tract of a fish and its sphincter is much smaller than a bears, raccoons and ours.  I have fished areas where corn has been the primary source of chum for whitefish.  I caught several whitefish that where so full of corn that it was coming out of their mouths when they were on the ice.  When I opened them up the corn at the back of their digestive tract was no different then the corn from the can.  This tells me that they were not able to break corn down and could not pass it.  Not sure if it killed them, but most fisherman stopped chumming corn.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Buckshot86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:36 PM »
I kill plenty of birds with steel...never known anything different, the corn debate is in my opinion a dead horse...

Oh yes, it will certainly kill stuff. I wish I could try lead though.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:45 PM »
If you knew the difference you would see how far more birds fly off wounded now than they did in the lead days.Ill bet most people hunting with steel fatally wound 75% more birds than they would if shooting good lead loads.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Shoot the right shot then and learn to shoot faster loads and don't worry about poising the environment.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Shoot the right shot then and learn to shoot faster loads and don't worry about poising the environment.

Nuff said

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:55 PM »
I shoot remington hevi shot,if you can afford tungsten is actually better than lead,but most cant or wont and they wound tons of birds.Take a boat ride around freezeout after opening weekend and count the dead and flightless birds you will find,nuff said..

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Looks like you found your bluebill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.