The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: TRR-New 2011 thread  (Read 4240 times)

Offline YETI_MILK

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: TRR-New 2011 thread
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2011, 02:01 PM »
oh man i keep looking at your picture dubble haul that is one nice pike thats real nice i want to catch a pike like that. i been trying for so loing canty get much better thqan 5 lbs i wanna nice 8 lber like yours
Whats do you drink on the ice? I like beer. any advise is greatly appreciated

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Anybody been out latley ? I'm thinking that the Ice could start to go pretty fast in these conditions.
Does the ice usually go first on the north end or south end ?

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:24 PM »
South end goes first. Its supposed to turn cold again so it will be ok for a bit..However, if you go in the drink dont blame me. ;)

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:43 PM »
There was plenty of ice late last week--I could drive my 1/2-ton pickup on the ice to where I wanted to fish Thursday & Friday. 

Having said that:
-> the ice has to be deteriorating on top
-> I just checked the 10-day forecast and, while it may be slick in the mornings, it doesn't look like there's going to be any dramatic re-freeze.

So I think I'll fish as much as I can for as long as I can. . .
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:31 AM »
That's good, I was planning on fishing the north end anyways. If it can just hold out for a bit longer, I'll be home by next wed, fishing by friday. I didn't get much of a hardwater season (2 trips), left home on Jan. 3rd. Hope to see a few of you out there.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Any updates on the fishing or ice conditions.

Offline stickandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2011, 11:33 AM »
I was out yesterday for a couple hours, caught one pike and one crappie, was marking fish on the vex from 515 til I quit, the crappie just were'nt biting!  The ice is still very thick, folks were driving on it still.

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Sounds like you did better than me ! I spent 5 hours fishing on the north end, and didn't even get a bite ! only marked 2 fish and drilled 40 holes. Puzzled me.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:40 PM »
Might see some of you tomorrow if anyone goes. White dodge and white haulmark trailer I will be there Thursday and Friday.M.G.

Offline stickandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Might see some of you tomorrow if anyone goes. White dodge and white haulmark trailer I will be there Thursday and Friday.M.G.

I may try to make it out thursday. where do you plan to go?   I will certainly be out Saturday afternoon and evening if you decide to stick around that long.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:08 PM »
I may try to make it out thursday. where do you plan to go?   I will certainly be out Saturday afternoon and evening if you decide to stick around that long.
Not sure where I will start at depends on the ice. Give me a call if you want 307-431-0072 might have reception in some spots. I will probly pick up some of those high dollar minnows first then go from there.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Canceled my trip decided to stay home.

Offline stickandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Canceled my trip decided to stay home.

Bummer.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Bummer.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks, good luck.

Offline wolf777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Hey guys,
My names Josh and this is my first post on here. I live in billings and am just getting into ice fishing. I just went down to tongue for two days on Mon and Tuesday. I ran my full limit of lines with a mix of small 3 in minnows and dead 6-7 in dead sucker minnows. I didn't pull any walleyes the first day but did have one hit and run on a quick strike and large minnows and hooked up on a big northern that evening that broke me off on 40 pound mono and  steel leader. I couldn't even turn him.  Tues. I focused only on pike and found them shallow and in the bays. I caught a seven pounder right off the bat then had another good tussle an hour later where the fish spit the hook. I had to strikes where the line screamed out and the fish had dropped it by the time I got there. I had one other misses hook set and called it a night. I should have had 3 pike but that's fishing. The ice is 20 inches thick all over. When I cleaned that pike it was a female full of eggs so they are fueling up for ice off and the spawn. If ice holds for a week and a half I'm going to try and go back up on sun the 13th if anybody wants to meet  up.   

Offline stickandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Nice job Wolf.  Sounds like a pretty eventful trip.  What area of the lake were you fishing?

Offline wolf777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Southern end of the lake. There was a couple of guys from Sheridan on Mon that ran all over on the south end and only marked one fish in the sonar and pulled one smallie out of the trees by the river. I didn't jig much but didn't pull a perch or a crappie when I did.  Look for bays next to deep water.  The big momma was in eighteen fow.

Offline wolf777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Remember that the new license year started on Tuesday here in mt. Though I never ran into any wardens on the off days.

Offline stickandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 08, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Anybody been to the tongue lately?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.