The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: slammers  (Read 5056 times)

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
Re: slammers
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:46 PM »
Since I will be using mine in the dark, I have considered adding a pocket that will house a primer.  If I place a nail in the slap board, align it with the primer pocket and get a fish...BANG!  Anyone ever tried this?
  BE THERE!

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Since I will be using mine in the dark, I have considered adding a pocket that will house a primer.  If I place a nail in the slap board, align it with the primer pocket and get a fish...BANG!  Anyone ever tried this?

Yes I read a Post on another Slammer Thread that a guy was using a primer on his Slammer and everyone around him jumped when it went off but I forget what State he was in.

Bob
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:53 AM »
First trip out with the slammers today.  Hoping the wind will let them work properly since it's supposed to be quite windy.  We're all pretty excited about using them.  Will let ya know..........

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Tried my slammer last night at Clark Canyon.  Fishing was slow and only had two on the jig rod.  I was bummed the slammer didn't go off but I also got to wondering.  I was using a rubberband to spring the board...rubberbands don't do well at 20 degrees.  It still had some spring to it, but didn't give the pull I needed.  I think I need to find a light spring that can really stretch...Anyone else have other ideas?
  BE THERE!

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Re: slammers
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:32 PM »

Your upright on your Slammer should fall by Gravity on it's own when the Rod is released....if it doesn't put a screw in the base under the upright sticking up a little so the upright leans back away from the hole a little.
You could also try using a shorter thicker rubber band that will give you more pull on the upright.

Bob

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2011, 11:21 PM »
Four of us had slammers on Beaver Creek today.  The fish were on strike obviously, so I didn't get to see how they were going to work.  Two dink perch on jigging rods is all we managed.  So, looking forward to next trip so I can actually see one work. 

HVFD........I didn't make my slammers with a hinged front upright so I'm probably not the guy to tell you.  BUT, I too would tilt the board back so that it falls by itself.  The more mechanisms something has, the more to go wrong.  I'm a keep it simple type guy.......

iceandwiskey

« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:50 PM »
does anybody have any close up pictures of one?

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:22 PM »

Search for the Post this Gentleman below has under the Heading "re:homemade slammer help.......He has great close up pictures of one.
Bob

upstate bass2
IceShanty Rookie

Re: homemade slammer help

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:13 PM »
Used my new slammer at Newlan last night and it worked just like it should.  Caught a ling on it.  Great for ling, can't wait to try it on pike..........

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:43 PM »
pics
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:51 AM »
Has anyone caught pike on one yet? Also, is this the same concept as the "Automatic Fisherman" (sold at any sporting goods store) except it doesnt cost a ton? I only ask bc I don't have wood working tools to make a slammer and was thinking that smelt on one of these things would be a good idea for pike. I wonder tho if it would just yank the bait out of their mouth before they get a good hold of it.

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:57 AM »
Has anyone caught pike on one yet? Also, is this the same concept as the "Automatic Fisherman" (sold at any sporting goods store) except it doesnt cost a ton? I only ask bc I don't have wood working tools to make a slammer and was thinking that smelt on one of these things would be a good idea for pike. I wonder tho if it would just yank the bait out of their mouth before they get a good hold of it.

The drag on your reel is set so a Big Pike can still pull line out and run with the Smelt or Live Sucker Minnow.

Bob

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:09 AM »

Here are my measurements for mine for a 28 in fishing rod.
Base is 25 inches long.....width of base board is 5 1/4 inches....thickness is 1/2 inch.
Upright is 10 inches high and I used a 2 1/2 wide by 1 1/2thick.
Cross Piece is  8 inches long and I used a 2 inch wide by 1/2 thick
The wire from the paper clip is 2 inches long then wrapped under the screw and the the end is bent up
and back towards the rod tip about a 1/4 of an inch.
 I have the screw in the middle of the Cross Piece [4 inches] but this can be adjusted for position for
the length of rod you need by the placement of the screw forward or back.

Measurements for A Longer Slammer or What I call it......Downrigger Tip Up.....the action is like using a  Downrigger Rod.
Most measurements are the same when using a longer rod except the Base of course.
When using a 5 ft 6 in rod here are my measurements.

Base 52 inches long and can be cut in half and hinged for storage reasons.
Upright 10 inches
Cross Piece 8 inches
Screw for the Paper Clip Wire is placed toward the front of the Cross Piece 2 inches back instead of the Middle.
 Important to remember that your fishing reels drag not be set too tight so a big fish can pull the rod out of the holder.
 A lot of people use a piece of plastic pipe cut at a 45 degree angle and attached to the base instead of the Coil Rod Holders I use.

Bob

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:18 AM »
The drag on your reel is set so a Big Pike can still pull line out and run with the Smelt or Live Sucker Minnow.

Bob
I realize you set the drag so a pike can run with it and not snap your line. my question is - when the initial whip of the pole occurs, will the instant it is set off give the large bait enough time to be completely engulfed by the pike or will it set off and pull the bait out of the pikes mouth prematurely?

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:24 AM »

Once the Pike grabs the Minnow in it's mouth it has a good hold on it and I have had Pike run for a good 50 feet without dropping the minnow.
I'd say my success rate is 85% or better.
If you were fishing in 5 feet of water it might pull out when the Bigger Rod Releases but won't with the Smaller Rod Set Up....Not enough upward whip.
Usually I am fishing in 10 feet or deeper for Pike.

Bob

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:18 PM »
My slammer released a half dozen times today on East Fork Res.  I assume it was pike as I was using a good size minnow about 3 feet off the bottom.  No fish!  Bait was striped half of those times.  Not sure why, maybe the treble on my lure was too small?  Gonna have to experiment with this a little.

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:56 AM »
My slammer released a half dozen times today on East Fork Res.  I assume it was pike as I was using a good size minnow about 3 feet off the bottom.  No fish!  Bait was striped half of those times.  Not sure why, maybe the treble on my lure was too small?  Gonna have to experiment with this a little.

How are you hooking your minnow on the hook???
Are you using a Strike Rig???.....Single hook through the minnows mouth and out a nostril and then a treble hook deep behind the minnows dorsal fin.

Bob

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:16 PM »
We were just talking about using a quick strike rig after yesterday.  I wasn't.  I was just running a regular lure (I think a forage minnow) with a treble hook.  Was putting one hook through the head and another thru the body around the backbone.  I'm gonna make a couple of quick strikes and see if that improves the performance.  Thanks Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.