The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: wolves at hyalite  (Read 7635 times)

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
wolves at hyalite
« on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:31 PM »
fishing buddy went up to hyalite last night and saw a big grey wolf right off the road near langor camp ground.   Awesome!!! ok that was sarcastic.  Looks like I will have to start taking my pistol w me when I am fishing on the lake.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
Re: wolves at hyalite
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Heard a guy in Idaho Just shot one that weighed 250Lbs this weekend.

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Make sure he fills out a report with FWP.  I think you can do it online.  I think that they know half how many wolves are out there.

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Always carry a side arm for whatever you can run into out in God's country....wolves, griz...never know anymore... :tipup:
Z
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

iceandwiskey

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Heard a guy in Idaho Just shot one that weighed 250Lbs this weekend.
Wow! your gonna need a big wok to cook all of that!  Yum ;D

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:31 PM »
I've got the solution guys. Go with the flow. Have this entire state declared a national monument. Then enforce the endangered species act to reintroduce two endangered species-the native Montana Vigilante and the native Montana wolf hunter.(which my grandad was) Wouldn't take long to get things straightened out! ::)

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:11 AM »
I've got the solution guys. Go with the flow. Have this entire state declared a national monument. Then enforce the endangered species act to reintroduce two endangered species-the native Montana Vigilante and the native Montana wolf hunter.(which my grandad was) Wouldn't take long to get things straightened out! ::)

I agree ;D

Offline icefisherman94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:29 PM »
i also agree

Offline onpoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:57 PM »
The only people that want them are the ones that don't have to deal with them.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:06 AM »
False

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:09 AM »
False
Why is that statement "false"?

Z

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:34 PM »
i know of many people who are already loosing cattle to them.  they are thick around here.  its only going to get worse.  i know of a guy who lost about 3 cows and calves to them this summer alone.  Its hard enough to make a living ranching without the wolves.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:10 PM »
S.S.S. ;D
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:17 PM »

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:53 PM »
You know up at Hyalite there's no s.s.s.  Its more like s.d.s.s. Shoot, drill a hole in the ice, sink it and then shut up.
I'm assuming he's saying the statement is false because you can't blaketely say that only people that don't have to deal with them want them. I think more people would be more accepting of them if they were managed well enough that they weren't the nusance that they are now.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:07 PM »
I've watched them on 3 occasions from my deck chasing elk up the hill >:(
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Not that I have witnessed wolves attacking elk but every trip out for the past two years I find wolf tracks in the same tracks as the elk.  Fish247 is spot on!  If they were managed!! :tipup:

Z

Offline troutmonkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:20 PM »
I don't understand your logic here. Wolves were a native species to Montana and most of the lover 48 historically. If you've got free range cattle I really don't sympathize at all with your plight. Why wouldn't a wolf pick off a fat lazy cow or sheep that can't get away, come on now! If you want to keep your heard fence them in.

Hunters need to deal with the situation and stop being lazy. Get out there. Stop shooting from your truck. Do a little tracking and maybe you'll have some success. Stop complaining that wolves are killing all of the elk and get out and earn your meat!

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:23 PM »
Wolves provide no positive impact on the economy.... Elk hunting does. 

Offline DaileyMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:27 PM »
It's hard to understand why People don't want to manage/hunt/kill wolves.  I'm not looking forward to my first pot of wolf stew, but I'll try it ;D

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Trout Monkey...you obviously haven't done much study on the situation.  The wolf that was "reintroduded" was not a reintroduction at all rather a new and different species than what was originally in the lower 48.  The canadian grey wolf that was brought down is much larger and more aggressive than the wolves that were here in the first place.  They have descimated the elk population in the gallatin forests. That's like planting lake trout in place of cutthroats.  They are both trout(well actually one is a char) but you get my point.

And on your point of truck hunting, I never truck hunt and the elk numbers are way down and they are much more elusive.  Get off you high horse, get some facts, and shut up!! 

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2010, 01:10 PM »
By the way I happen to be the buddy that saw the wolf up hyalite and they elk distributions and poplulations have changed alot up there!!

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2010, 03:28 PM »
We've killed several elk over the years up there but nothing in the last 5-6 seasons.  We used to have alot of success in some nice "honey holes" but the elk are no longer in these spots.  The hunting preasure hasn't changed from what I have seen but this is about when the wolves showed up in hyalite.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:04 PM »
It's hard to understand why People don't want to manage/hunt/kill wolves.  I'm not looking forward to my first pot of wolf stew, but I'll try it ;D
eeeeeuuuuuwwwwwwwww I think that with the first one that i get i will skin it try it on make sure it fits cut the head off clean it add it to my collection of other skulls and tan the hide but i will need more than one for gauntlets on my gloves and may be a hat lets see what else are they good for??????

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:47 PM »
been running around bear, griz, wolf, and cat country my whole life and never had a problem with any critter except one time only and that was being stalked by a mtn lion. every bear encounter i've had only 3 they've turned the other way.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline PerchOnIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:00 PM »
I don't understand your logic here. Wolves were a native species to Montana and most of the lover 48 historically. If you've got free range cattle I really don't sympathize at all with your plight. Why wouldn't a wolf pick off a fat lazy cow or sheep that can't get away, come on now! If you want to keep your heard fence them in.

Hunters need to deal with the situation and stop being lazy. Get out there. Stop shooting from your truck. Do a little tracking and maybe you'll have some success. Stop complaining that wolves are killing all of the elk and get out and earn your meat!

I'm sure a fence would keep wolves away from sheep like a lid keeps Rosie O'Donnell away from ice cream. No matter how you look at it, wolf #'s will continue to grow and elk/wildlife #'s are likely to remain down in many areas of the state that support large wolf populations. Until they are legal to hunt again there will there will be arguements on both sides of the fence, but I'm sure the ranchers will be doing their best to control the population by exercising their right to protect their livestock.

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:08 PM »
They have totally wrecked the elk population in the gravellys

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:11 PM »

Now your getting on my nervs.. I hunt my a@# off every year archery and rifle season and this situation with the wolfs has got to be managed better. i go in deeper than most will on foot and then ill go in on horse back and the activity of wolfs are out of controll! so its not fair to call us lazy etc. its that we do get out of the truck and thats why we KNOW there is a problem with wolfs. matter of fact i recently went ice fishing at a new lake and the tracks were everywhere and guess what???? they were chasing down deer and succeeded!!! This year i have whitnessed more than ever griz,mtn lion and wolf activity than i ever have. Itravel all over this state for work and i talk to all my cust and i hear all their stories.(REAL STORIES FROM REAL RANCHERS AND OUTDOOR ENTH.) SO ARE WE ALL LAZY THEN???? Hey im not against any of these animals i love to see them in the wild but when its obviouse we have a problem then lets not deny it and make excuses and quit the pointing game! >:(

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:03 AM »
couldnt agree more herdbull. i also hunt my butt off and hunt a lot..ya i can still find and kill a elk and a deer. but it is getting way tougher and is not making it easy to introduce new hunters when you have to "hunt your butt off for a chance at a animal.the wolves have really decimated the animals and im sick and tired of them and anyone who is supporting them.having the wolves "introduced" bis like throwing pike in all your favorite fishing holes and then saying you cant fish for or keep the pike.yep stupid.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I don't have a problem with the wolves, and I hunt elk, deer and other critters.  On the other hand if a rancher pops one chasing a calve, sweet, a guy should have the right to defend his livelihood.  I totally support wolf hunts as a management tool, but I don't care to get involved with it.  Wolves are far from endangered and proper management could go a long way.  I would guess some of you might not mind them as much if you could hunt them, and as for revenue MT could bring in some extra bucks allowing people all over the U.S. to come out here and shoot them.  When you look at the numbers its obvious the wolves are a problem, just compare the numbers of elk in the park 15 years ago, with today.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.