Author Topic: 5 lb Prpane Tank  (Read 14838 times)

Offline curtdintc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes
5 lb Prpane Tank
« on: Jan 20, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Anyone know how to fill a 5 LB propane tank from a 20 LB Tank with the new valves?

Sabastein newest addition to the family

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: 5 lb Prpane Tank
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2008, 08:42 AM »
go to any barbecue supplyer or walmart lowes   ect  get replacement fittings that fit the valve warm up the 20 lb tank   now go outdoors away from everyone connect your hoses  turn 20 lb tank upside down 5 lb right side up open valves   on the 5 lb tank locate the bleeder screw  crack it open and only fill till ya get a liquid vapor out the bleed screw    then close bleed screw shut off the tanks    also do this on a scale  and never fill over 80 %   PS  no smoking   and be prepaired for your wife girlfriend significant other (there got all possibilities in) to be pissed at how you smell as the mercaptin (smelly product put in propane to detect leaks because propane has no natural odor) will cover yourself and clothes   to avoid that problem I recommend that you take it to a propane dealer after all its just about a gallon your talking about anyway  and is much safer
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline cmspence

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:53 AM »
i never had real good luck with refilling my bottles (1lbs) never tried a 5 lbs seems like they only fill about 1/2 or so they dont last as long

others say they work good

i was thinking about getting a 10 lbs so i can run my heat for the whole weekend then refill during the week instead of bring x amount of 1 lbs bottles

how long does your 5 lbs tank last?

Offline curtdintc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:24 AM »
i never had real good luck with refilling my bottles (1lbs) never tried a 5 lbs seems like they only fill about 1/2 or so they dont last as long

others say they work good

i was thinking about getting a 10 lbs so i can run my heat for the whole weekend then refill during the week instead of bring x amount of 1 lbs bottles

how long does your 5 lbs tank last?

My 5LB last a least 2 Full days of fishing. The only reason I want to fill it myself
It cost $8.00 to fill and $10.00 in gasoline to get to the propane company

Sabastein newest addition to the family

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:24 AM »
I fill my 1lbs tanks and get a good 5 to 7 hours on them depending on the setting of the heater.
My outings only aveage 4 / 5 hours. Taking 2 tanks is max for me. I know I'll have heat. As for half
way fills, make sure your one pound tank is cold enough and your 20lbs is room temp. Now that can
be very difficult because you certainly DON"T want to bring your tank in the house. I have a heated
garage and keep it at 60 all winter long. Tank temp is the trick to filling all the way....

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2008, 11:18 AM »
I have a 9lb tank that I use with my portable buddy heater.  I can get approx. 20hrs out of the thing...

Definitely enough for a weekend trip!!

shawno

Offline thechief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Anyone know how to fill a 5 LB propane tank from a 20 LB Tank with the new valves?
As a retired professional firefighter, it is not worth the few pennies you are trying to save.  Propane can be a very dangerous gas, and not to be taken lightly.  However, having said that, if you are going to continue to try this, please let me know.  My brother has never seen someone being blown to bits

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2008, 04:46 PM »
I kinda think that that statement is pretty extream it can be done safely   just look around at the kids that fill them at gas stations / convenience stores ect  the only difference between how I outlined it is they have a pump attached (maybe some dont use the bleeder screw alot do ) use the right equipment you can do it safely  evidently you prob never even been around when ya flare a tank   lol   maybe you have  dont know   take your time do it safely your all set  Id rather people did it safely as they are going to do it anyway look how many people fill 1 lb clynders   I do still agree the safest way to do it is to take it somewhere else to have it filled and highly recommend it   Besides  parts is parts once ya see one blown up   next one is no biggie  If you want to fill the tanks  here is something to read   http://www.propanesafety.com/Resource%20Library/CETP%20Resources/Dispensing%20Propane%20Safely.pdf  specifically page 26
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:43 PM »
I think hes only refering to the 1 lbs, which by the way if you transport them in a vehicle after you fill them you are in violation of DOT Law, which is a Federal Law. Filling a bottle that is not meant to be refilled, just doesnt make sense....If you want to fill your 5 lb'er or 10lb'er more power to you, but if you want to risk your life and possibly others over a few pennies....hey.....hop e your life insurance is paid up.

I kinda think that that statement is pretty extream it can be done safely   just look around at the kids that fill them at gas stations / convenience stores ect  the only difference between how I outlined it is they have a pump attached (maybe some dont use the bleeder screw alot do ) use the right equipment you can do it safely  evidently you prob never even been around when ya flare a tank   lol   maybe you have  dont know   take your time do it safely your all set  Id rather people did it safely as they are going to do it anyway look how many people fill 1 lb clynders   I do still agree the safest way to do it is to take it somewhere else to have it filled and highly recommend it   Besides  parts is parts once ya see one blown up   next one is no biggie  If you want to fill the tanks  here is something to read   http://www.propanesafety.com/Resource%20Library/CETP%20Resources/Dispensing%20Propane%20Safely.pdf  specifically page 26

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2015, 06:10 PM »
I fill my 1lbs tanks and get a good 5 to 7 hours on them depending on the setting of the heater.
My outings only aveage 4 / 5 hours. Taking 2 tanks is max for me. I know I'll have heat. As for half
way fills, make sure your one pound tank is cold enough and your 20lbs is room temp. Now that can
be very difficult because you certainly DON"T want to bring your tank in the house. I have a heated
garage and keep it at 60 all winter long. Tank temp is the trick to filling all the way....

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2015, 11:37 PM »
I fill my 5 & 10lb tanks from 20s all the time and it is easy. the 20 is at room temp. and the smaller ones frozen (typically cold enough from sitting outside). I made up my own hose with the pol hand tighten knob attached at each end. I just connect the hose to the two tanks, turn the 20 upside down, and open the smaller tank valve, and then the 20. I then just go do something else and come back after a while. The new valves include an overflow cutoff in them already.....that is why there was the big change over years back because even the "certified" lp techs. couldn't be trusted to not over fill the tanks. Any how, once the hissing stops....your done, so I shut off the 20 valve, shut off the smaller valve, and then slowly unscrew the hose. I wear gloves doing this to prevent smell on my hands, but also to prevent any possible frostbite, should I unscrew the hose to quickly and get sprayed by any liquid propane. I have lost count how many times I have done this. I weight each tank after the refill and it has ALWAYS been exactly 5 or 10 lbs!!!!  I;ve never diddled with any vent valves or screws when filling.....they don't mess with them at the refill station so why should I?  Oh, there was one time that I had one tank that was LESS than 5 or 10lbs. and that was because the small tank wasn't very cold to start with.....

Regarding all the nay sayers.....I think they mean well because not everybody is as adept as everybody else, and if you are going to fill your own tanks, KNOW THAT YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, and if you have familial responsibilities...... you have an awlful lot as risk if you make a mistake!!!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:00 AM »
Getting my stuff ready for this ice season I noticed that my 2 10lb tanks were somewhat rusty, so I got the sand paper out and cleaned and painted them. Took 1 to the refill place   and it  only took .7lbs. The guy filling it had it on a scale, and the scale maxed out at whatever a 10 lb'er is supposed to weigh, He said it might need to be purged. It felt empty to me, now it's home hooked up to a salamander until it's empty again. I refill 1lb'ers but have issues with them leaking, stinking up where ever the tank is. I don't live far from a refill station, so that's where I'll get the bigger ones filled.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2015, 06:31 AM »
used the 10lb'er for a couple of days and it quit, won't light the salamander any more so I guess it's empty. Tractor Supply where I live is the cheapest place in town to get propane tanks filled. 2 something a pound, a 20lb'er only holds about 4+ lbs. that's only about $10 to fill a 20lb'er, can't beat it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.