Author Topic: HT Balance Quick Strike Rig  (Read 5089 times)

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
HT Balance Quick Strike Rig
« on: Jan 06, 2008, 09:00 PM »
I read about these in an Ice Fishing mag this year and can't find them. I went to the HT site and they are not on there - they have the old style rigs but not the new one shown in the article. I did a google search and came up empty as well.
Has anyone tried them? where did you find them?

Thanks for your help

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
Re: HT Balance Quick Strike Rig
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008, 09:19 PM »
I saw them in the In Fisherman Ice Guide 08 as well and couldn't find them either.

So I ordered $27 worth of leader, beads, hooks, crimp sleeves, crimping tool from an online source and have enough supplies for quick strike rigs, balance rigs, AND making my own steel leaders for jigging pike.  Saved me tons of money on the rigs.  I figure I have enough supplies for close to 50 rigs.  Comes out to around 45 cents a rig.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:36 AM »
I saw them in the In Fisherman Ice Guide 08 as well and couldn't find them either.

So I ordered $27 worth of leader, beads, hooks, crimp sleeves, crimping tool from an online source and have enough supplies for quick strike rigs, balance rigs, AND making my own steel leaders for jigging pike.  Saved me tons of money on the rigs.  I figure I have enough supplies for close to 50 rigs.  Comes out to around 45 cents a rig.

(Image removed from quote.)

think i could order some from yah  :laugh:  :tipup:

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:12 AM »
think i could order some from yah  :laugh:  :tipup:

I honestly thought about making some and visiting local bait/tackle shops to sell um, but they take too long to make for any major return on time invested.  I figured around buying the supplies in bulk I could get prices down to close to 20 cents per rig if I made around 500.  Just time and storage gets complicated.

PM me an email address and maybe we can work something out.  Cover cost, shipping, and beverage of choice and you've got a deal.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 05:28 PM »
I'd order some as well - I really like this new setup.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008, 05:41 PM »
Hmmmm.

Let's see I've got swivels, hooks, 7 strand wire, crimps, crimping pliers for making leaders and blades and beads for makin' crawler harnesses. I think I've got all I need to make some of those babies.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Hmmmm.

Let's see I've got swivels, hooks, 7 strand wire, crimps, crimping pliers for making leaders and blades and beads for makin' crawler harnesses. I think I've got all I need to make some of those babies.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I could get all of the needed equipment except one - the talent to put it all together. I am not very handy when it comes to building/fixing etc...

I am delegated to paying someone to make me what I like. Oh well - some are doers and some are buyers.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:52 AM »
Get a good pair of crimping pliers (not the cheapies). Buy the components and put 'em together if ya can use a pair of scissors ya can make your own wire leaders etc. It's just position the crimp sleeve, squeeze, and clip the tag end. Just make sure ya have all the coponents where ya want 'em before ya squeeze.  ::) :laugh:

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Get a good pair of crimping pliers (not the cheapies). Buy the components and put 'em together if ya can use a pair of scissors ya can make your own wire leaders etc. It's just position the crimp sleeve, squeeze, and clip the tag end. Just make sure ya have all the coponents where ya want 'em before ya squeeze.  ::) :laugh:

Yup, if you can tie a knot, you can run a pair of crimpers.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2008, 01:41 PM »
What's the advantage, the bait sits more horizontal?

Is it a dead bait set up?

I do make me own and never thought about putting mre wire out, just the opposite. If I don't use large minnows i run just one treble.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2008, 03:11 PM »
What's the advantage, the bait sits more horizontal?

Is it a dead bait set up?

I do make me own and never thought about putting mre wire out, just the opposite. If I don't use large minnows i run just one treble.

Dead bait hangs right, but double hooks also increases the chances of getting a hook set earlier instead of having to wait for the fish to REALLY take it.  Also, the wider the hooks are apart from each other, the greater chance you get a hook into a soft corner of the pike's jaw instead of the bony hard lip.

I'll use these more often with dead bait and standard quick strike rigs with lively bait.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2008, 03:19 PM »

Is there a pair of crimping pliers you would suggest? I was at Gander Mountain today and the only ones they had were the Berkley ones and I wasn't sure if they were any good. I bought pretty much everything else I could think of.

Thanks for the pointers - I hope I don't mess this up. It seems like it could be fun and a great summer activity while wasting the days away waiting for ice.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:52 PM »
Been a long time since I bought mine, any quality fishing wire crimping pliers will do just don't buy the cheap stamped metal ones.

The pair I have look like these:

here's a link:

http://www.americanfishingwire.com/products/crimpingtools.html

- - George Carlin

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2008, 07:41 PM »
I use these, you can order from
www.thefishinhole.com
I gotta chubby

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:06 PM »
I finally bought all of the stuff I thought I would need to make leaders for pike and walleyes ($335 worth of tools, wire, fluorocarbon, blades, hooks and beads) and sat down last night to try this out. It took a little time to get used to the manipulation of the wire, blade etc.. but when I finally finished my first one I can see that this is going to be addictive. I can't wait to try these out. I think it will be a little more gratifying catching a fish on something I made.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I finally bought all of the stuff I thought I would need to make leaders for pike and walleyes ($335 worth of tools, wire, fluorocarbon, blades, hooks and beads) and sat down last night to try this out. It took a little time to get used to the manipulation of the wire, blade etc.. but when I finally finished my first one I can see that this is going to be addictive. I can't wait to try these out. I think it will be a little more gratifying catching a fish on something I made.

Thanks again for everyones input.

WOW!  Planning on starting a production line?  :D

Congrats!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.