Author Topic: Clam Ice Fishing Chair  (Read 10568 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Clam Ice Fishing Chair
« on: Oct 31, 2006, 09:15 AM »
So one of the first things I noticed while going thru the in fisherman guide is the new Clam Chair, I works as a backpack to store gear and gives you a chair with a back instead of pulling up on a bucket.

I think they are charging about $75 bucks for the thing which although sounds like allot, it was less then I expected (since it is from clam)

What are your thougths on the chair?

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
Re: Clam Ice Fishing Chair
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Looks pretty neat Especially with the back rest but I think I could handle using a bucket for that price

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2006, 07:33 PM »
I got to sit on one a Gander yesterday.
Not to happy with the angle of the back rest. To straight for my liking.
I guess it could work if you scale down on what you are taking out, but I still think you'd be taking a bucket if you were going to carry tip-ups, etc.
As much as I like toys and gadgets, this is one I'm going to pass on.

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2006, 11:26 PM »
I thought the new Pak Shack, from Nature Vision, looks pretty interesting. Less than twenty pounds. You carry it over your shoulder. A lawn chair with a cover. Looks like a cool thing to have for early ice or for those places where you need to hike a ways to get to a lake. I've seen the price for this thing from $89-$99. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one.

http://www.naturevisioninc.com/shop_nvi/product.php?productid=118&cat=26
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2006, 06:14 AM »
I take folding canvas chair I bought from Wal-mart for about $15...nestle's my but nice, has two bait(cup) holders, and a handy carrying case.  Weighs less than five pounds.  I carry it across my back when walking in.   ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, had to be a wise-a**.  :D
I love a flag!!!!

Offline FidelCasserole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2006, 04:42 PM »
I thought the new Pak Shack, from Nature Vision, looks pretty interesting. Less than twenty pounds. You carry it over your shoulder. A lawn chair with a cover. Looks like a cool thing to have for early ice or for those places where you need to hike a ways to get to a lake. I've seen the price for this thing from $89-$99. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one.

http://www.naturevisioninc.com/shop_nvi/product.php?productid=118&cat=26

I would suggest seeing if you can find one to look at before you make your purchase.  I saw it at Bass Pro Shops yesterday and it was a lot smaller then I expected it to be.  I also thought that the poles seems pretty cheap and could be a potential problem.   I didn't look at them too closely but at 1st glance they appeared to be plastic.   

While they do seem like they might be a good thing for long hikes, on non-windy days, I think you might want to check one out 1st hand before laying down the $100.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2006, 05:40 PM »
both stores around me that carry clam gear are not flooring the chair, they want me to buy it sight unseen, I think I will hold off until I can give it a test drive

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:37 PM »
I thought the new Pak Shack, from Nature Vision, looks pretty interesting...

So what will keep that from blowing around?  If that had a half-floor you could just sit in a chair on the floor, and that would keep it in place.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:04 PM »
the same thing minus the floor.........the shelter is attached to the chair that you sit on, it also has a area to use an ice anchor of some sort

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2006, 08:10 AM »
Aqua Vu jumped in with both feet. I would have much rather they put their recourses toward developing a smaller more versatile camera. You get what you pay for. IMO

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Recently I took a trip to the Bass Pro-Shop and saw these clam chairs and was very interested in them......  Does anyone have any updates or thoughts on them?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:08 PM »
I got to sit in one last season as was not a huge fan, I found the back to be very straight and it was a little uncomfortable in a short sit let a lone for hours on end...they have yet to come down in price either

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:14 PM »
I have one ive used for two years its not a clam but its pretty good, the wind does play havok sometime but mine has anchor points, I also have a windoew and inside pockets,I weigh 300 lbs and i have plenty of room to jig.it flips open easy also.I think its a good value.
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:16 PM »
Mine is a pak shack the poles are mteal but the connectors are plasticthey will send parts really fast too.
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Offline JuvyK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feels Like a Nice One...
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2008, 10:10 AM »
Ive only heard bad things about this chair. Read the reviews on Cabelas website. I think I'll stick with the 5 gallon pale.

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2008, 11:10 AM »
I had one last year up until about the last two weeks of season.

Nice chair for the most part. Here are my complaints however...

The zippers are weak!  They need to be tough to be able to be pulled open when covered in snow or ice.  These zippers are very light.

The second issue was that the plastic rod channels the are supposed to protect your rods are very cheap.  Both of the angled plastic channels broke on my chair, and the chair was never dropped or had anything dropped on it.  I returned the chair and did not get a replacement.

I will say that it does have a lot of room to store stuff and is easily used.

I'm a huge clam fan but this chair just didn't cut the mustard.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2008, 03:51 PM »
I like the concept as well but the thing just doesnt work for the price, the seat angle is so harsh that it is uncomfortable. the only thing i like is the size and weight of the thing.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2008, 04:43 PM »
ever tried one of these?

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2008, 04:47 PM »
ever tried one of these?

(Image removed from quote.)

That looks interesting!!!  How do you like it?   It looks heavy, how do you carry it?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2008, 05:07 PM »
ever tried one of these?

(Image removed from quote.)

I've seen them up close and they look a little flimsey to me. I've looked at the clam chair in the store and it looks nice. Problem I see is the back is too straight and a chinesse made frame isn't going to last long before it breaks. A Frabill sitn'fish bucket would be the best for the $$$ IMO and you have a place to keep the minnows and a tackle box.

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2008, 07:14 PM »
A Frabill sitn'fish bucket would be the best for the $$$ IMO and you have a place to keep the minnows and a tackle box.

That's what I currently have, the problem is I don't have a place for my rods!!!  I suppose one of those bibs will do....

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2008, 05:57 AM »
I've seen them up close and they look a little flimsey to me. I've looked at the clam chair in the store and it looks nice. Problem I see is the back is too straight and a chinesse made frame isn't going to last long before it breaks. A Frabill sitn'fish bucket would be the best for the $$$ IMO and you have a place to keep the minnows and a tackle box.
I picked one up from cabellas  29 bucks   it's ok... sorta comfortable for it's size  actually just another attempt to get organized   bet that fails again too   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2008, 11:46 AM »
I just take my Otter Den out regardless of 3" or 30" of ice. It pulls hard in powder, but I need the exercise. ;) Have a truck so room isn't an issue.

Honestly I would look at the new little strikemaster sled before other chairs. Has some pockets for storage, sled and seat. A little pricey at $80 but lets face it $80 doesn't go as far as it once did. (Tank of gas for me) Frabill should bring that little sled back out that was similar to strikemasters new setup, Frabill  unit was just a little larger.

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2008, 03:44 PM »
Honestly I would look at the new little strikemaster sled before other chairs. Has some pockets for storage, sled and seat. A little pricey at $80 but lets face it $80 doesn't go as far as it once did. (Tank of gas for me) Frabill should bring that little sled back out that was similar to strikemasters new setup, Frabill  unit was just a little larger.

That looks great!!  Just what I need, however it doesn't look like I can get it here in Canada unless your willing to pay $30 shipping plus border duties...  Does anyone know of a place here in Ontario? 
Thanks,

Offline chill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Airs
I was in T.O. for work a couple weeks ago and saw the Strikemaster sled at BPS.

C.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.