Author Topic: atv???  (Read 5079 times)

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
atv???
« on: Feb 25, 2003, 01:54 PM »
What kind of an atv would you prefer.what kind is the most reliable.
Polaris            articcat         Honda              Suzuki              yamaha
Kawasaki
Looking to buy one new. can get great deals on www.troycitygarage.com
Will use it every season, all year round.want a 220cc or higher.and a 2x4 or 4x4.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Mazey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stay On Top!
Re: atv???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2003, 02:56 PM »
if you are planning on using it on the ice, i'd definitely go with the 4X4.  with the 4X4 i'd go with something 350cc or larger.

i have a yamaha timberwolf 250 4X4 and would like some more power.  pretty slugish on hills and in snow.

kpage

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2003, 02:57 PM »
don't really know whay kind to tell you to buy but i hear nothing but good things about the polaris...i have owned kawasaki's which i loved until my current machine...i love everything about my machine buth the fact is the things fouls plugs like there is no tomorrow..i have a 2002 650 prarie..v twin...thing can pull a hay wagon up a hill with 75 bails in it no problem...haven't found a machine that can out pull it...i hooked hitch to hitch with a 660 grizzlie and pulled it all over the place...but like i said gotta change the plugs constantly...and the make it hard to get to them...also takes sae 40 in the front tranny and mobile something or other that kawi makes and its hard to find buy the quart...polaris makes a big machine now...good luck with whatever you choose

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2003, 03:40 PM »
If you can afford it go with a 4x4. I have a honda,no compaints. There is alot of machines to chose, all have good points and bad i guess.
Shop around don't buy something your not happy with.Make sure its big enough to pull all your stuff.
   Shark in Honeoye
How's the ice

Offline hawkeyejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have ice will fish it,flagup,and catch a BIG one
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2003, 07:00 PM »
i have a 1994 polaris 300 2x4 i used it at lake simcoe and pulled the trailer that i hauled it up there with out 12 miles 1 way with no problems at all i out pulled a suzuki eichorn 400 4x4 that kept getting stuck all day so i like polaris but the choice is yours there is just too many to chose from do some reading of a few of the atv mags (dirtwheels)they do have a lot of helpful advice the most important thing is be safe and have fun
have ice will travel catch a big one

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2003, 04:14 AM »
Polaris has the automatic shift which is good -- Honda has that new electric shift (Pushbutton) which I hear is great -- all in all its beats walking
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2003, 04:58 AM »
I have the polaris 500 sportsman 4x4.I had tried out all the other machines out there and found that if your out banging around in the woods you will appreciate polaris's independent suspension.This machine will climb anything.The one drawback to this machine is the automatic tranny.I do a lot of hunting in the mountains and going down long steep inclines can be a nerve racking experience on any of the automatics.The price of the polaris is also better than the others and if your buying right now,polaris is throwing in a free winch and racks for your machine.But I beleave the other manufactures are also running deals on there machines.
Bubba  

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2003, 11:03 AM »
I have a  2000 Yamaha 400 big bear 4*4. Has been good to me so far. Do a lot of riding in the winter here in Ma. Started with a 250 timber wolf not enough motor. For snow and slush you need at least 350-400.Get a good winch also a good idea.  JMHO    FISHERCAT

Offline Dihardfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WISCONSIN GOATS!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2003, 03:23 PM »
I have heard the Yamaha's are great.  My friend has a couple Poloris's and they have seemed to break down easily.  I would go with the Yamaha 4X4.  Two wheel drive is really crappy on the ice and in the mud.  My friends 4X4 traction went out on him this year on his Poloris.  It can barely move around on the ice.  Get something like a 350 or bigger, otherwise the smaller one's will be to weak.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2003, 04:51 PM »
I don't have an ATV :( - but it's on my wish list. A good friend of mine works in a motorcycle/atv shop. They carry most of the major brands. While discussing my wanting one he suggested "if I do get one" get a Honda. Of course I asked why ? He said they make very good products but most importantly the parts are almost always on hand. Another point he made was specifically about how long they keep their parts available. You can still get parts for mc's or atv's 20 years later - try to get parts for Yamaha , Suzuki , etc. 10 years later. I thought this was a point worth mentioning. Good luck with whatever you choose !
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline hawkeyejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have ice will fish it,flagup,and catch a BIG one
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2003, 07:41 PM »
another thing i just did today with my polaris 300 2x4 was i pulled an 1985 chevy astro van with a flat front tire out of my drive way for a tow truck to pick it up my machine has unbeleivable pulling power with it's duel range tranny in low gear i can pull anything and not get stuck i even snowplow my whole neighborhood with it and i have not gotten stuck yet
have ice will travel catch a big one

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2003, 03:04 AM »
im prob gonna get a new honda recon 250 2x4 at www.troycitygarage.com  for only  $2800.00
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline korey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:07 PM »
HONDA
<br />Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.<br />Teach a man to fish and he will sit on a lake all day and drink beer!!!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2007, 12:42 PM »
I was in slush over my tires yesterday with my 06 Polaris Sportsman 500. I made it through pulling a jet sled XL loaded with gear. It has the stock Carsile tires with no chains. I still cant believe I made it! It is an awesome machine and that PVT trans keeps the engine right in that power band when you get in trouble. :)

Offline IceFiserman4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:09 PM »
I have a 2000 Foreman 450 and it goes through anything. We had some really bad slush on the ice lately that was more than a foot deep and it went through everything with a whole lotta stuff behind it. Then again mines lifted and have 28inch tires  :P

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2008, 05:17 AM »
I have the 08 yamaha Gizzly efi 700. IMHO there is no better.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline playhardtte

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:40 AM »
  HONDA all the way! been rideing hardcore for yrs, you can't beat there reliability and durability! :bow: :bow: :bow: RIDE HONDA!!

Offline Exile

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cooking a Litlle Venie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:18 PM »
I had every single brand from the Kaw to the SUzy, Polaris (250,400,500,600,700) to the Grizz after all is said and done I would never go away from the Grizz,  But don't go cheap! get a 4x4 you will regret it if you don't. No matter what size of cc go with a 4x4
Only in the U.P.  (You can take man out of the U.P. but can't take the U.P. out of the Man)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:11 PM »
HOLY DEAD THREADS BATMAN This thing was like 5 yrs old,lol.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Recycling! Save the planet man!

No kidding, I never even looked at the date....2003!

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:09 PM »
  Do you think it would be a deal to get a 2003 Honda Foreman  4x4 TRX450FE  with only 94 miles on it and a drop basket for 2000 dollars?

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Sounds like a bargain ,especially if you plan on keeping it for awhile. You can check values on NADA.com

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:09 AM »
2003 Honda  4x4 should be worth at least $3,500. 

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • what is it ? its fighting like a submarine
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2008, 01:12 PM »
i would go for this one.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2008, 01:31 PM »
i would go for this one.(Image removed from quote.)
   Cool, does it come with the babe?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Holy Christmas that thing is tall!

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:30 PM »
articcat is the best you are going to find :)
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:35 PM »
articcat is the best you are going to find :)

BWHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA, Thanks, I needed a good laugh :P

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • what is it ? its fighting like a submarine
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:37 PM »
lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.