Author Topic: Best basic flasher  (Read 4271 times)

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
Best basic flasher
« on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Hello,

I'm just really getting into ice fishing still, and am pretty much on my own for it, so I thought this would be a good place to ask for some advice!  I'm looking into investing in a flasher, but I'm not real sure about what all the specs mean and what the differences are.  From what I've researched so far I'm looking at the Marcum VX-1P, but that's just from different reviews that I've read, and maybe that's not what I need.  I don't fish any real deep or big lakes, because I have to access them by foot.  Usually either small trout lakes, or a few shallower walleye and perch lakes.  Probably nothing deeper than 20' for the most part.  I would like to be able to see what, if anything, is down there, just to know if I should switch up lures and tactics, or move completely.  Any suggestions?

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best basic flasher
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2014, 01:23 PM »
I have had a VX-1 for a while,  pretty happy with it so far, good target separation, long battery life.  I have used it a couple times for lake trout, deepest water I fished was 118 ft, but could still see a 2oz. jig. If you moved the jig quickly you would loose it for a second, but slow movements you could see it all the time. Walleye and perch fishing down to 30ft, which is about as deep as I ever fish, it works great. I have used other flasher for years, so interpretation has not been a problem for me.

Never had the need for more power, dual transducer, digital readout etc. For a walleye fisherman the most valuable feature for me is the zoom, the additional detail is invaluable IMO. I am sure they all have this feature,  more features are always nice, but like I said,  I have never had the need for my fishing area. If you fish for a species that suspends, I can see having a unit that will allow you to move your zoom range, I think that would be a great feature for suspended fish.

I am a fan of the latest technology and my boat sonars are higher end, I have a Hummingbird 898, as I see lots of value in the added features, but for ice fishing, the VX-1 is good.

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Thanks guys :) anyone else?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2014, 10:17 PM »
do you have a boat with a finder on it? just use that for the ice season if so

Catchin' Fish

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Vex fl-8, easy to learn, pretty durable in a Genz box, less than $300, but I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:03 PM »
in one word "fl8" vex is very much the standard and it is not out dated technology that some other forums feed you as bs so you by the wrong equipment...here is some pointer from a book i bought called ice fishing secrets by the way the vex is so good cause the screen does not freeze or slow down when cold... also higher end model will come with a screen heater like lowrance ment for ice fishing and some other models so watch for it... here is cone size and how to pic it wider the cone area the better in shallow water cause your closer to the transducer but you don't get accuracy of it being a narrow cone angle so if you got the selection of the two your better off in the deeper water with the narrow beam ...see images also is how to read the flasher screen too...

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:15 PM »
I found the elite 4x ice machine for right at 200 shipped the other day, but it appears to be sold out now where I was looking.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:17 PM »
humminbird ice 35 is a great entry unit.. check the specs.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:18 PM »
I found the elite 4x ice machine for right at 200 shipped the other day, but it appears to be sold out now where I was looking.

the lowrance is a good unit but tend to slow down when they get cold... i would wait for the black fri day sale they run them for like $100  bass pro is a biggy at this every year... mite be a 3x hdi this year who knows this year? same with cabelas etc ...

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:39 PM »
Just my .02, a basic unit that has both GPS mapping/ bathmat and a basic flasher will put you on the fish quicker if you do your homework.  Simply put, fish will go into their winter patterns and hold up at different locations based on depths, structure or other bathymetric features then in the summer.  This varies from species to species but with a little knowledge and electronics, one can efficiently find humps, drop offs, sunken islands and other areas that will produce fish.  Having a lake bottom map on your electronics will help you locate these area quickly.  For me, this means less drilling time and more fishing time.  Most units will allow you to save waypoints if the fishing is good.  This is useful for return trips.  Hope this helps.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2014, 05:17 AM »
there is always doing this see links but i would wait till black friday to make the purchase my self...
but would need a battery and a base to set the flasher on... my self for 19.99 base plus 24.99 for battery @cabelas.com....  i  would go this route but like said the same flasher on black friday will be under $100 just keep it in mind..   

see this link till you can buy the ice pack for 99.99 or just run it this way? you can run them with out the ice transducer using the skimmer that came with it...  for a season or two...they even have the eltie 4x for $169.99 which will be under that price for the black friday sales @cabelas and bass pro shops ... 
 link of how to run skimmer for ice fishing:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=294143.0

link of the 3x flasher unit:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Marine-Electronics/Sonars-SonarGPS-Combos%7C/pc/104794380/c/104707080/sc/104588280/Lowrancereg-Elite-3X-Sonar/1888876.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsonars-sonar-gps-combos%2Flowrance%2F_%2FN-1100517%2B1000003916%2FNe-1000003916%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104588280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104707080%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104707080%3Bcat104588280

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2014, 07:52 AM »
If the unit was to have mapping capabilities, is that something that it will map as I go, or does it need to have a pre-existing map on the unit?  Not a lot of the lakes I fish have any depth maps available.

I'll definitely wait until black Friday though, good call! Thanks for all the options, I'll do some more looking around.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:16 AM »
If the unit was to have mapping capabilities, is that something that it will map as I go, or does it need to have a pre-existing map on the unit?  Not a lot of the lakes I fish have any depth maps available.

I'll definitely wait until black Friday though, good call! Thanks for all the options, I'll do some more looking around.

If you want to see if your lake has a map on the unit the best way to see is to go to a store that has that unit on the floor.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Vx 1 marcum. Great flasher for$
Only thing is you will upgrade by end of season
Good luck

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2014, 01:52 PM »

The 3x is sonar only, not a combo. The elite 4/5 ice machines have mapping included. You can always use navionics on your phone, not as good as a finder based gps but it'll definitely get you by.

Catchin' Fish

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2014, 02:53 PM »
If you want to see if your lake has a map on the unit the best way to see is to go to a store that has that unit on the floor.

Unfortunately not an option where I live, I'm a minimum of four hours one way and a border crossing to a decent outdoor store, and that only brings me to Duluth lol.  I would be shocked if the lakes I fish were on it though.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Unfortunately not an option where I live, I'm a minimum of four hours one way and a border crossing to a decent outdoor store, and that only brings me to Duluth lol.  I would be shocked if the lakes I fish were on it though.

try gamin hand held they got Canadian lake maps of bc , Ontario, etc.. etc... check the Garmin web site they list the lake on it.  not sure what territory your from so cant bring up the lakes list they have of Canada cause i don't know were your from lol's but Garmin has good Canadian maps

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Thanks, I'll check their site! I'm from Thunder Bay, ON, and fish mostly small lakes that sometimes aren't even named. I'll check it out tho, for sure! I try to avoid high traffic areas, I prefer the peace and quiet :)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Thanks, I'll check their site! I'm from Thunder Bay, ON, and fish mostly small lakes that sometimes aren't even named. I'll check it out tho, for sure! I try to avoid high traffic areas, I prefer the peace and quiet :)

Check here to see if they're in the app http://webapp.navionics.com

If you have a boat and use an Elite 4 you can create your own maps using Lowrance's Insight Genesis

Catchin' Fish

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:13 PM »
If I had $200 to spend, I'd get a VX-1.  If I had $350 to spend, I'd get a Vex FL-18.  They are essentially the same units from a functionality point of view. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at what's on sale around Black Friday, and that will probably make my decision for me.  I appreciate all the info, I'm leaning toward the marcum or lowrance right now.  Can't wait for the season to get started!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2014, 10:02 PM »
here is the Canadian link for the hand held's from garmin.."thunder bay area" .look over the list and make sure it is not just the out line of the lakes or no depth contours.  if it don't have a exclamation point or is stared. it has depth contours just a heads up. also check out navionics and compare them is always best...  i think there is even one for the cell phone but were you going to find cell phone towers up there?? or reception?? the hand held's go by satellites so you almost always got a signal from them...

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/inland/canada_lists/Ontario.pdf

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:26 AM »
MarCum Showdown Troller 2.0 is a good starting unit.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:19 PM »
If you go on youtube you can try to and do a search on some of these flashers that you are interested in. Might help with making your decision. If you are interested in one of the lowrance or humminbird units that has gps you might want to try emailing them questions on if the gps feature works on all lakes even ones not listed on a dnr site.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:45 PM »
I would say fl8  have 3 of them mine I bought new years ago and have been adding one for the kids as I find them used and inexpensive.  The last one was only 80 bucks all it needs is blue Genz box.  Easy to learn how to read and really reliable also.  125-150 should get you into a used one if you look around a little. 

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:28 AM »
I ordered a Marcum VX-1 Pro, Dick's has them on sale for $300 with an additional 20%, best deal I've found.  I'm looking forward to trying it out, thanks for all the advice!

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Nice score on the VX-1, money well spent.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:52 PM »
The vx-1 is a good entry level flasher.  It has bottom zoom which other in that price range do not have.  I bought one last year for my kids to use.  works great.  I use a lowrance off my boat in a portable ice fishing pack.  It has a flasher mode and ice machine mode.  I need to get one more flasher so all 3 of us have our own.  I will either get another vx-1 or a lowrance ice machine.

Offline Mattiemo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2014, 07:51 PM »
MarCum Showdown Troller 2.0 is a good starting unit.

This is the route i went. Works good, its small and light. Also when you decide to upgrade to a new fancy flasher it still has its place for more convient hole hopping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.