Author Topic: Clam Legend XL Thermal  (Read 10091 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Clam Legend XL Thermal
« on: Oct 31, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Anybody have this hut? Thinking about buying one of this season. I have a pro trap tc but would really like the full thermal and extra room.
Thanks
Matt

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Re: Clam Legend XL Thermal
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2014, 03:50 PM »
I have the Big Mouth thermal (which is a close relative to the XL thermal).  I used it all last season and really liked it.  You can heat it with a very small heater and it is easy to pull.  No complaints for me! 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Awesome that's what I want to hear!

Offline fogerty18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:56 PM »
I too am considering this shack, as well as the new Clam Runner.  Have yet to see or sit in either of them.  Anyone else have any good/bad experiences with the Legend XL Thermal? 

Thanks

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Anybody have this hut? Thinking about buying one of this season. I have a pro trap tc but would really like the full thermal and extra room.
Thanks
Matt
hey matt go for it i have one there great

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Than a for the size and weight I think it would be a big step up. Has anyone seen any good buys on them?

hey matt go for it i have one there great

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Check Blain's Farm and Fleet - they don't list them online anymore but I swear they had them in stores last year. They'll be dragging shelters out to display here in the next two weeks, maybe someone will have one in stock.

Catchin' Fish

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2014, 08:25 PM »
I don't think our Blains here in the QC has ever had any Clam huts. Just Frabill and Eskimo.

Check Blain's Farm and Fleet - they don't list them online anymore but I swear they had them in stores last year. They'll be dragging shelters out to display here in the next two weeks, maybe someone will have one in stock.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2014, 10:58 PM »
I too am considering this shack, as well as the new Clam Runner.  Have yet to see or sit in either of them.  Anyone else have any good/bad experiences with the Legend XL Thermal? 

Thanks

here is some info on the Legend XL and the Runner.

the Legend XL was actually introduced last year as the Legend. the XL in the name this year represents the three changes that were made to the house this year.

1st change was the sled it self was redesign to increase the storage space in the sled by 23% over last years model while still using the same size foot print of the sled.

2nd change was the interior of the sled is now light gray so that it is easier to see small stuff that you might drop in the sled.

3rd change is the interior fabric is now black in color this year to allow for those that like to sight fish. Last year it was blue and gray interior and the light would shine through to where sight fishing was hard to do.

fishable area of the Legend XL is 16Sq FT (43"w X 56"l)

now for the runner.

this is totally new this year and is built off the yukon sled. the poles in this house are not extendable they are the flip and go style like the scouts have but of course they are larger then the scout poles. it was design because of consumer feed from out east. there was a interest in a larger one man house that was full thermal and that you didn't need to expand the poles out to set up so the Runner was brought to production to fill this demand. the only thing I see that is a slight negative about the Runner is that it weighs in at 77 pounds and could become hard to pull by hand if you load it with to much extra gear. now one of the big positives for it is the roof height, it is 74 inches tall so you can stand up in it with out rubbing your head on the roof unless you are over 6' 2" (then your head would touch the roof).

fishable area of the runner is 15 sq feet (35"w X 61"l)

over all they are both good houses. I personally like the runner but for how I fish the Legend is better for me. it is the house I use once I can drive the truck out of the ice of the lake. until the ice is that thick I hand pull a scout out. this year it will be one of the new scout xl thermals that I run for early ice.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2014, 11:26 PM »
What keeps me going back to the ledgend XL is its 45" w and has 17 sqft of fishing area and has a front and back door. It has a deluxe seat which moves side to side and front and back. I looked at the runner but the only advantage I see with it is u don't have to extend ur poles. When I'm on the ice I extend my pro tc once in the morning then when I leave.I don't like how the runner isn't as wide at 37" plus it weighs 14 lbs more. Which I hand pull so weight means a lot to me. Don't get me wrong I think they r both great huts. I'm just sharing y I like the ledgend.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2014, 01:04 AM »
What keeps me going back to the ledgend XL is its 45" w and has 17 sqft of fishing area and has a front and back door. It has a deluxe seat which moves side to side and front and back. I looked at the runner but the only advantage I see with it is u don't have to extend ur poles. When I'm on the ice I extend my pro tc once in the morning then when I leave.I don't like how the runner isn't as wide at 37" plus it weighs 14 lbs more. Which I hand pull so weight means a lot to me. Don't get me wrong I think they r both great huts. I'm just sharing y I like the ledgend.

I know what you mean about the extra weight issue. I have last years Legend and really like it. it's a little heavier then my scouts but it still can be pulled by hand if needed. the other plus of the Legend XL is the light bar that is included with the house. this light bar lights up the house as if it was high noon after dark. I like the light bar so much that I added one to each of my scouts too.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2014, 06:47 AM »
What do u use for a heater? I have a buddy heater but would like to go to something smaller more compack but want to also have enough BTUs to stay warm.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2014, 08:38 AM »
I use a little tiny Paulin sunflower heater.  I don't know if they stil make them but this particular one has a "sunflower" head on it that has a diameter just slightly larger than a beer can.  It also has sort of a rheostat temp control on it.  In other words, as you turn the dial, the heat increases or decreases (vs. having more of a"click" type setting which is either high or low).  I turn that thing down to almost shutting off on most days and I am plenty warm.  I would guess you could heat these houses pretty well with just a lantern if you wanted.  Low ceiling height combined with fully insulated and you will stay very warm in these shacks.

Red Zone, you mentioned a back door on your shack.  I don't have one on my Big Mouth thermal and could have one added if there is a benefit to it.  I guess I've always found that when I am in the shack, I can just turn around on the seat and reach everything in the sled but maybe you use the door for something else other than accessing gear?  Just thought I'd ask how you use yours.

Thanks!

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2014, 09:20 AM »
I actually go in and out of the shack that way. Its a lot nicer than trying not to step in q hole

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I could see that. Once you get everything set up in front of you, the sled is mostly empty and you could just leave everything in place up front and just go out the back if you need to stretch, take a leak, whatever.  Thanks! 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Have you checked out the new Frabill Sidestep flipovers that have the door or doors on the side? They look like a nice improvement.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2014, 10:36 AM »
I like the looks of the Shappell Bay Runner also! Members have said you can leave them set up when moving them! Looks to be perfect for one person!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2014, 01:03 PM »
I like the looks of the Shappell Bay Runner also! Members have said you can leave them set up when moving them! Looks to be perfect for one person!!

My only concern with those is that I would think that when you get to the spot you want to fish, you have to completely unload the sled (since that is where you are sitting when you fish).  Then when you want to move, you need to load all your gear back in the sled and then unload it again at the new spot.

Offline reservoirdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I Recently got the legend xl thermal a few months back and have yet put it together let  alone use it as there is a heat wave here  in NY. Well i had some spare time so  I started to put it together and  I was wondering if anyone has installed runners on this shelter if so where do you place them ?.  this tub is different than previous models , and Clam Ind.  themselves sold me the same runners that fit last year legend as well as other models, DO  I place them on the outside groves or the next ones in. This year model has 5 possible spots for runners and they only supplied me with 2 that I had to cut at 40 inches which I think is wrong in the first place as per their instructions.

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2014, 08:08 AM »
I bought this shanty this year and have used it 3 times for walleye fishing. Love it. The size is what I like about it most. I bought the clam runner kit# 8997 which came with five runners. Directions said to cut them. Good thing I didn't cut them because they would've been too short. They were hard to find. Ended up ordering it from fleetnfarm. Should of looked there first seems like they got everything in stock. Loading up shanty now and heading out for the day of fishing.

Offline reservoirdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Yea that's the ones I needed they sent me the kit with 2 runners . Well I ordered the new runners yesterday from Fleet after posting . How long did you need them to actually fit if you don't mind me asking .

Offline mhtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:01 PM »
I think this the legend xl actually took the place of the old pro model . If it did by far the best one man run and gun shack. I had the pro than a fish trap 2 then whet to the scout. Sold the later one recently and I am probably gonna go back to the legend xl.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.