Author Topic: New Clam Corp Bigfoot/Six Pack Series Shelters  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Clam Corp Bigfoot/Six Pack Series Shelters
« on: Aug 27, 2012, 10:33 PM »
I searched and didn't see this topic posted but check out Clam's new lineup.

I was researching the Clam Summit Thermal and found these new houses.

Looks like a Fatfish design.

http://catalog.redrockstore.com/product/clam-big-foot-xl4000t-pre-buy-11325.htm

I have no affiliation with the store or clam BTW.

Looks like these are pre-buy orderign options on their website.

I couldn't find these on Clams website though.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam Bigfoot Series
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2012, 10:49 PM »
The new Clam shacks look pretty nice. I can not wait to see them in person.

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2012, 07:03 AM »
I have a Scout TC that I really like and I'm in the market for a pop-up thermal.

These new Clam shelters look like they might have hit a home run.

I also like the new Clam logo, but I don't know why they haven't integrated that with their website.

I also found this Youtube of the Cam Six Pack, and all I can say is I want one:

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2012, 07:27 AM »
There are a bunch of new products coming out from Clam for this winter and they will be released in the up coming months.  Good eye on the new logo; just be a little bit more patient  :whistle:

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2012, 08:34 AM »
There are a bunch of new products coming out from Clam for this winter and they will be released in the up coming months.  Good eye on the new logo; just be a little bit more patient  :whistle:

From a business perspective, I guess I don't get why they would put out a press release (link below) and allow vendors to put all the product info on their sites along with pre-ordering options and pricing, yet, not even have those products listed on the Clam Corp website.

I mean, if people can pre-order them, why wouldn't they be out marketing them?

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/clam-bigfoot-a-lasting-imprint/

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2012, 09:57 AM »
From a business perspective, I guess I don't get why they would put out a press release (link below) and allow vendors to put all the product info on their sites along with pre-ordering options and pricing, yet, not even have those products listed on the Clam Corp website.

it like any thing else, cars the first or second year the kinda work out the bugs. Same here, they try to get full price for a product that may have issues. Did you notice how many poles /hubs the six pack has?? I'm sure they might have some problems with the pop out hub or the poles breaking. I own a scout pro tc and a clam 2000, don't get me wrong I stand behind Clam, but this is just my view on the way the business world is. -olc
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
Re: New Clam Corp Bigfoot/Six Pack Series Shelters
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Am I seeing things or does the weblink at start say the Bigfoot is 71 lbs?  Ouch!!  I guess its is thermal in some way(s) but thats alot of weight for that style of hut (IMO).

The shape of that 6-pack shelter is aort of interesting, but personally I don't like the low height (I hate to sttop over).  For those dealing with high winds though it might be a help.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Am I seeing things or does the weblink at start say the Bigfoot is 71 lbs?  Ouch!!  I guess its is thermal in some way(s) but thats alot of weight for that style of hut (IMO).

The shape of that 6-pack shelter is aort of interesting, but personally I don't like the low height (I hate to sttop over).  For those dealing with high winds though it might be a help.
None of the Bigfoot models weighs 70 pounds; they are approximately half that weight.

How tall are you?  The center height of the smallest 6 pack will easily accommodate a six foot tall individual.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2012, 06:46 AM »
Did anybody see that new Switchback shelter? Looks like a convertible pop up that can either be a 6x8 or
8x10 shelter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcH3K8UcfZ4&feature=channel&list=UL

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2012, 07:09 AM »

I noticed the weight too, but it could be a typo.

Here is the specs for the 4000T:

Bigfoot XL4000T:
.Thermal Trap™ Technology (retains heat & reduces condensation)
.Super-duty, flex tested poles (11mm)
.Oversized skirt for ample snow banking
.Oversized carry bag for easy re-packing
.4 Ice anchors and tie downs to secure in windy conditions
.Setup Size: 96” x 96”, Center Height: 82”, Weight: 72 Lbs
.Fishable Area: (64 sq. ft.)
.Fishes 4-6 Anglers comfortably

As for that switchback model, while it is a nice design, I'm not sure what value it adds to the lineup of products available. I guess, if you have say three people and don't need the 8x10 it would be easier to heat at 6x8, but then again, with most heaters these days it wouldn't be a problem anyway. So other than that I don't see the advantage, but it is cool.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2012, 08:40 AM »

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/clam-bigfoot-a-lasting-imprint/

I would guess that Outdoorhub jumped the gun a bit because NONE of the new Clam logos or product are supposed to be released to the public until Sept 4.

-Munchy
Rod Woten

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2012, 02:19 PM »
Well, now that would make sense, however, it looks like Cabelas is also pre-ordering these new Clam products too.

http://www.cabelas.com/shelters-sleds-clam-outdoors-six-pack-ice-shelters-1.shtml

If you are doing a major logo change like this and launching a bunch of really new products, you would definitely want to coordinate for marketing purposes, which means letting your partners know to keep things under wraps.

If those new, thicker hub pole diameters and hub mechanisms have solved the problem/weak point in hub style shelters then Clam will have hit a home run, but I guess field use and feedback from the customer base will ultimate reveal if that is the case.

Does anyone else find it odd that the SixPack shelters are named after beer?

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2012, 10:40 PM »
Did anybody see that new Switchback shelter? Looks like a convertible pop up that can either be a 6x8 or
8x10 shelter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcH3K8UcfZ4&feature=channel&list=UL

Too much velcro for me.  Iced up velcro is a pain. 

Also the size is misleading to me, all they did was kick the wall out to increase the footprint.  If that was the goal they should have left the top of that side connected to the roof and just angled out the side 2 feet and the repeated the same thing on the other side to make the 6x10 footprint area.  Not a fan of how that ceiling pole setup works.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2012, 08:06 AM »
The reason I questioned the height on the Six-pack shelter was based on the height of the one guy in the video when he stands next to it (see an earlier post).  Maybe its a camera angle thing or maybe the guy is 6' 10" tall, but he looks as tall (or taller) than the center of the top of the shanty.  I see they list the height as 82", but they also list weight at 70 lbs.  This kind of misinformation and what seems like poor communication between Clam and the manufacturer shouldn't be happening.  The "distance" between those putting their name on products and those who are making them is leading to problems everywhere.  Global economy - yes (it's reality and not necessarily bad), but when junk makes it to the marketplace with little direct oversight and testing by the parent company it is a slap in the face to the people shelling out their $$$.  This is one of the great things about a place like the IceShanty.  We can get actual feedback from people who know what they are talking about (in most cases) and have actually seen or used the products.  Unfortunately somebody ends up being the "canary in the mine" for the rest.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Only draw back is the Big Foot weighs 72 lbs,that's a lot of weight for a pop up.

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Redrock list the Bigfoot weight as 72 lbs Clam corp website lists the weight at 42 lbs.Clam says the height of the 6 pack 1550 height 75" and weighs 37lb,and the 1660 mag at 90 in" and weighs 46 lb.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2012, 06:21 PM »
Clam's numbers are correct, not Red Rock's.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2012, 09:16 PM »
The new XL 4000T weighs 42lbs. I just bought one from Reeds ;D. I will do a review once I get it and give everyone the low down on what I find.
 Matt

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:19 PM »
So....have any of you more "northern" guys fished one of these six packs yet?? They look cool. Was wondering if anyone had any hands on with them yet in the field?

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Anybody know if the Six Pack will have a thermal version next year?  I would buy one now if it was thermal, but I guess I will have to wait and see.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline cold feet82901

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:10 PM »
i have a 6 man command center clam and i just love the darn thing     iv had 4 people in it with all there gear and was comfortable,  (6 people would be tight)  i live in south west wyoming and the wind can be nuts 40 mph+ some times and the clam does just fine as long as it is anchored down. the only gripe i have so far is the bag that it came in is a peice of junk, it tore the 2nd day i took it out. it weighs 45 pounds.

Offline rocks281

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2012, 03:27 PM »
Looked at both the Six Pack 1550 Mag and the Big Foot XL2000 at Gander Mountain $25 off the other day. Bought the XL2000 for $204 once they got them back in. I don't know how much different it is on the 1660, but the door on the 1550 is way too small. Too Short and a bit to narrow. Otherwise, I like the design. But I'm only 6' and couldn't get in with in jeans and shirt. My $.02 is try it before you buy it. Look forward to getting the new XL2000 on the ice real soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.