Author Topic: West Lakes Chain (Noble) - Ever ice-fished it?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
West Lakes Chain (Noble) - Ever ice-fished it?
« on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Hey guys and gals,

There's a thread from a few days ago inquiring about the West Lakes chain in Noble County.  I did a few searches and found almost no information about them.  My family has had a cottage on Steinbarger for almost 30 years, and as extensively as I fish it in the summer, I've only ice-fished it once to no avail.

The other thread was asking if anyone had been out this year.  I'm wondering how many here have EVER fished these lakes in the winter.

Let me know if you've been on the ice on West Lakes (Jones, Steinbarger, Tamarack, Waldron) ever, and if so, how you fared.

Thanks all!

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: West Lakes Chain (Noble) - Ever ice-fished it?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:30 AM »
fished Waldron last year. Only once. Did not know the lake and there was open water not far away. Fished in 10'-18' of water. Marked a lot of fish but I think they were too small to get the bait in their mouth. Never pulled out anything. Years ago I fished a channel and caught some very nice gills. Can't even remember where that channel is today. I know tamarak and jones are known for huge crappie.

Offline kesdadddy7597

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:37 AM »
Jones has channels that can be good if you can gain access.  Tamarack is fished heavily in the " narrows" where it meets Steinbarger.  There is some current, but guys do fish it early on tamarack.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:05 PM »
20 plus years ago, my cousin had a place on Steinbarger.  We fished it through the ice for about 3 years.  It just plain was horrid.  Now that being said, we didn't have electronics.  I haven't been there since he moved out. 

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Jones has channels that can be good if you can gain access.  Tamarack is fished heavily in the " narrows" where it meets Steinbarger.  There is some current, but guys do fish it early on tamarack.

My uncle reported the same things about 4 years ago (the channel between Steinbarger and Tamarack) when he lived at the cottage for the winter.  I have yet to see it, however.  The last 3 years I've been at the cottage in the winter and haven't seen it.  Not to say it doesn't happen, that's just what I've seen.

I hate to give away good fishing spots, but Jones has some thick cabbage that holds giant largemouth.  And the channel between Tamarack and Steinbarger is where I start every morning in the summer.  If you get out there at the right time you'll be hard pressed not to catch 10 largemouth in the lilypads in a half hour.

Thanks for the info guys, this is helpful!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.