The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trout stocking in eastern montana  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
Re: Trout stocking in eastern montana
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:56 AM »
The reason I was asking about access is the rule is stated as below if public funds are used to stock or improve a pond.  Having to chase a property owner down to get access could be a bummer if they are not immediately available.

The project sponsor is responsible for providing the property or access to the property where the project is located. Projects may be located on private property, but public fishing access must be guaranteed through easements or binding written agreements.

Community Pond Program funding may be used for costs of design, construction, repair, or enhancement of ponds for which public angling is a primary purpose. Improvements that enhance handicapped access or safety may also be funded.
    Funds may be used only for those portions of the project that are necessary to create or enhance    angling opportunity.
    The project must be located near a community and should involve a pond-sized waterbody.
    Funds may not be used for acquisition of property.
    Project sponsors are responsible for routine maintenance of the completed project.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:23 PM »
It's still their land and they have a right to know who is running around and possibly leaving gates open or starting fires.  The pond access guide gives phone numbers, regulations etc much as Block Management guides do.  Not all ranches required you check in, some do.  It's a good program.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:29 PM »
It's still their land and they have a right to know who is running around and possibly leaving gates open or starting fires.  The pond access guide gives phone numbers, regulations etc much as Block Management guides do.  Not all ranches required you check in, some do.  It's a good program.

I did not dispute "good program".  I did not state otherwise.  It was a curious question.  It was a statement I read that public fishing access must be guaranteed. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:43 PM »
This is from 2017. Rattlesnake, Grants, and Prairie Goat might have some potential: https://myfwp.mt.gov/getRepositoryFile?objectID=84265

Is Camel’s Hump by Dickieville where you go, my-marty?
yes I have been going there and odland. I talked to a coworker who used to fish kuesters and he claims it was drained. That would explain why I can’t find it on the pond fishing book.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2019, 11:15 PM »
My apologies for the random question here, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it.  Does the windmill program work?  When I lived in Circle, I took the Terry cutoff frequently and drove by Homestead Reservoir.  I never bothered fishing it with Fort Peck, the Yellowstone, and their tributaries nearby, but was always curious if fish swam in there.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:26 PM »
I did not dispute "good program".  I did not state otherwise.  It was a curious question.  It was a statement I read that public fishing access must be guaranteed.

Why so tense?  I was simply saying that there were some restrictions that allow a rancher to be notified when and who was on their land.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:59 PM »
LOL.  I was smiling when I wrote it, but I do have the 'pushing a good one out' expression when I smile.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline sbschindler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:02 AM »
I didn't read all the posts but to answer the original question, "why do they plant Trout" they are cheap and they grow fast" was the original idea and now I just think its a habit, and a bad habit at that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.