Author Topic: College report Please help if you can  (Read 8212 times)

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
College report Please help if you can
« on: Mar 08, 2005, 01:01 PM »
I am doing a report on  "Fishery management in southern manitoba"

The topics i need to touch on are
1) Evaluate the historical and present productivity of the 3 southern lakes in southern manitoba
2) Economic significance of the sport and commercial fisheries in S. manitoba
3) Impact of  Lodges/ and out of province lodge owners
What are some aboriginal issues/ rights.
4 Licenses
5) What management is done, and what should be done?
6) Stream and lake management
7) Conducting surveys to obtain public opinion.

I know you guys probably have something to say about these issues. It is greatly appreciated for any comments to help me with this report. I picked this topic because it concerns me and the future of the fisheries in manitoba. Also I need to get three interviews and thought it would be easiest to talk to people i have talked to on the net. Thanks alot.
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline fishncamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: College report Please help if you can
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2005, 01:40 PM »
I would suggest an interview with Stu McKay.He is very approachable and has some strong feelings towards  the issues you mentioned.

Offline 2_sexy_4_my_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2005, 02:28 PM »
Hey there Reelmaster, If your looking for information related to aboriginal issues, I'm yer man. I'm status treaty, so any info you need or questions you have that I can help with, just drop me a line I would be more than h ;Dappy to help.

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:53 PM »
Reelmaster...Just a tip...not being rude. Check your spelling on your paper before turning it in....judging by your post your lacking in that area !!!  ;)

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:56 PM »
Reelmaster...Just a tip...not being rude. Check your spelling on your paper before turning it in....judging by your post your lacking in that area !!!  ;)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Sorry bud he's right ;D

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:32 PM »
Ummmmm... Maybe before this gets going. Reelmaster...tell us a bit about yourself. (not to offend of course) If your a youngster than the "sp" is forgiveable...tons of help here. If you are in U of M...Good luck buddy !!!  :D :D

whut diference duz spelling mayk n e wayz dis is teh internet s0n thurr r few w0rdz u can even spell correktly n e wyz

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:46 PM »
Reel master you should try to talking to a few commercial fishermen on lake manitoba. It would never hurt to try Don lamont as well.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:27 PM »
1.  Get in contact with MB Conservation, Freshwater fish marketing Corp, etc.  I don't think you want to ask anglers directly, because it can be very difficult to quantify the responses.

I also agree with the other comments, be as professional as you can....I'd edit your original post for spelling  ;) but it sounds like an interesting project.

Let there be ice.

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:42 PM »
Reelmaster.....ignore the comments about spelling....looks like perfect English to me....not one misspelled word....Grump

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:46 PM »
Reelmaster.....ignore the comments about spelling....looks like perfect English to me....not one misspelled word....Grump

Hmmmm.........Somethin g smells fishy  ;)2

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:50 PM »
 :angel

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:55 PM »
  ::)    ;D

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:58 PM »
HHHhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ummmmmmmmmmm....Trophy Hunter has snagged on to something ??? May be his biggest catch of the season !!!!  :) :) :)

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:05 PM »
HHHhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm....Trophy Hunter has snagged on to something ??? May be his biggest catch of the season !!!! :) :) :)

:D

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Reelmaster shall get the last laugh. Just you wait and :blink: :blink: seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2005, 09:16 PM »
RM's post seems to have spell checked itself BW ::) ::) ;) :D  :whistle:

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:46 AM »
Ya ya Thanks grump.
I am a twenty four year old In ACC in Brandon taking agribusiness.
Thanks for all of the suggestions on who to talk to.
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

albatross

« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:25 AM »
I'm finishing off writing an article on the decline of the walleye population in Lake Winnipegosis and found Freshwater Fish Marketing, local fishers, and government documents obtained from the library as my primary sources.  Each will offer you diametrically opposed viewpoints, which is extremely helpful at arriving at a fair conclusion.

I also agree with BigWalleye; Don Lamont is a great resource.  He's quite tapped in to the fisheries scene in this province and could direct you to the right people as well.

Good luck!

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Albatross...That must have been quite a job. It seems that every different person/document has a different opinion on what is happening to the fisheries. I bet you found opinions from "Everything is Great" to "No fish left in the lakes"  :)  Hope everything goes well in your reasearch Reelmaster  :)

albatross

« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2005, 11:15 AM »
AC....you're right.  The long story short is that they used to haul a million pounds of pickerel out of the lake each year, and now it's down to just a few thousand.  I've heard fishers blame the bureaucrats, the bureaucrats blame the fishers, and the fairford dam is also targeted.  I've come to a pretty realistic conclusion about it all and I'm working on a proposed solution for the fishers in the area, but I'm finding that overall there's no real interest on anybody's part to commit to renewing the resource. 

Very interesting research, but a bit frustrating trying to understand each party's agenda.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2005, 11:28 AM »
Great posts Albatross welcome to Iceshanty I see you are relativly new here.I look forward to your posts and hearing more! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

albatross

« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2005, 11:31 AM »
Thanks Trophy Hunter!  I'm enjoying this forum very much!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2005, 05:39 PM »
AC....you're right.  The long story short is that they used to haul a million pounds of pickerel out of the lake each year, and now it's down to just a few thousand.  I've heard fishers blame the bureaucrats, the bureaucrats blame the fishers, and the fairford dam is also targeted.  I've come to a prno real interest on anybody's part to commit to renewing the resource. 
etty realistic conclusion about it all and I'm working on a proposed solution for the fishers in the area, but I'm finding that overall there's no real interest on anybody's part to commit to renewing the resource. 

Very interesting research, but a bit frustrating trying to understand each party's agenda.
Welcome Albatross  :)
You hit the nail on the head with this quote "no real interest on anybody's part to commit to renewing the resource."
This is an age old problem of ownership and availability of financial resources to pursue solutions to serious problems that have been identified and documented.
Whether the solution is simple or complex........the first step of accountability is usually the biggest hurdle to overcome. Bureaucracy is always the biggest hurdle. :tipup:
Blue Igloo

albatross

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:00 PM »
Thanks BL...we're both acknowledging some sad truths here, but the optimist in me believes it all starts with that acknowledgement.  From here we need to plan long-term, and then commit.  I think that's the bigger hurdle; committing.  In the case of Lake Winnipegosis, there are some fundamental committments that I think need to be made, and then adhered to:  the fishers need to ride out the consequences of larger meshes and smaller quotas and in the meantime, fish for the mullet that Freshwater is asking for.  The government needs to commit to restocking properly and effectively.  Stocking the lake and then moving the fingerlings to other lakes doesn't seem like a real commitment to Lake Wpgosis.  A truthful report about the effects the Fairford Dam has had is also necessary.  Statistically, the pickerel population in Lake Wpgosis has plummeted since the dam was built...even after the ladders were put in.  I'm not saying the dam is the problem, but the reports I've read certainly maintain that it isn't, without supportive argument.
Anyway, thanks again BL...I appreciate the input!

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Hey reelmaster and albatross, when you get your papers completed, do you think you could post it somewhere so we could read it?  It sounds like you know your stuff, and I'd love to hear more of your insights. :)
Let there be ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.