The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Mako Augers  (Read 1778 times)

Freezin

Mako Augers
« on: Dec 02, 2003, 09:38 AM »
This site really looks cool !  I have a question for you guys.  Has anyone ever used the Mako gas augers ?  I have been thinking about buying the 8" turbo - it is in my price range at 259.99

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re:Mako Augers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:04 AM »
Ive seen those Eskimos at Nemacolin. The engines are Emaks, Italian made which makes me nervous. As a full blooded Italian, I know how much Italian stuff likes to break! But seriously, Id look into a Strikemaster or something with a Tecumseh motor in it, the parts are everywhere, not sure if the Emak stuff is. I picked up a Strikemaster Mag2000 8.25"this year, at Gander Mountain for $249. Its a single blade, but I think for Deep Creek its more than enough. You can bust through 46 inches of ice without an extension. Eskimo states that there augers are high RPM's, but high RPM's is not what cuts, torque does.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:13 AM »
The Eskimo Mako's are made with the 2 HP Tecumseh engines! The Eskimo Shark is made with the 2.5 HP Emak chainsaw engine as I know since I just got one. The Mako is a good auger and is just as reliable as the Strikemaster. It's gearbox is built better(imo) than the Strikemaster's. It's engine rpm is 6000 compared to the strikemaster mag 2000 of 4250. The mako also comes with 2 blades on both style of augers which won't bounce around as much as the single blade chippers that the mag 2000 has. Also, you won't have to worry about the handle breaking on an Eskimo. Just my opinion.
Ken                                          

Freezin

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2003, 02:43 PM »
Yeh, the one I'm looking at is the 8" turbo with a Tech. engine on it!  It says to be the fastest auger in its class.  Looks good to me but ?  Yeh but I really do need one for out at Deep Creek.  I always come home with a sore arm and shoulder from that place!  Ice gets pretty thick out there sometimes !  I would really like a StrikeMaster  but for me thats alot of money for as much as it will be used.  The Mako is a reasonable price at 259.99 compared to the StikeMaster's with blades !  Thanks Guys !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.