The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 2 hp or 3???  (Read 3086 times)

wonderboy

2 hp or 3???
« on: Nov 28, 2002, 05:27 PM »
i was just wondering if a 3 hp is necessary in a strikemaster twin blade.  i fish once a week in central minnesota, and drill about eight holes max per outing.  any response would be great.   Happy Fishing :)

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

Re: 2 hp or 3???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2002, 05:12 PM »
If all you drill is 8 holes i would go  with a 2hp, cheaper and lighter.
                                       Brother#3

Wables

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2002, 05:34 PM »
I have a 10", 2 hp, 2 blade strikemaster, and have been using it for about a year.  It has been fine thus far.  You can bog the engine down if you push too hard, but it cuts well enough that you may even be lifting up on the auger.   I like the light weight of the 2 hp model, and it cuts more than fast enough for me.

Wables

Offline Ludwikowski21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz ........
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2002, 09:23 AM »
I received a 2HP StrikeMaster Mag 2000 for Christmas last year and I love it.  I too live in central MN and I have no problems cutting through the ice up here even with the 10" blade.  :)

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2002, 09:28 AM »
I personally have the 2hp 8" Strikemaster Mag 2000 and I love it. The lower RPM units do not throw as much water and slush at you.

If I regularly cut a lot of holes through 2' plus ice I might think about more power.

Exudedude

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2002, 11:55 AM »
I too bought a 2 hp, but in the jiffy.. Many times I am pullin gstuff on the ice, the less weight was the kicker for me.. Yep.. its probably going to take you 2 seconds longer to ge threw 12" of ice... I am a patient man.. i can wait the extra 2 secs.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2002, 03:47 AM »
I have an old 3 hp chipper and it weighs a ton. I say lighter is better. My next auger is going to be one of those ultra light Normarks. When you need to walk a mile or better on the ice, shaving 15lbs of your gear cam make a big difference.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2002, 05:46 AM »
Esox is right.If you have an atv or snowmobile it doesn't matter if the auger is heavy.If you have to lug it, like Esox and myself, then light is is the way to go.
                                                    LoneWolf
Those who are brave are free ..

pa ice man

Re:2 hp or 3???
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2003, 07:59 PM »
i have a 3  to hevey like to get a lite one

Mr.G

Re:2 hp or 3???
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:50 PM »
I have a 3 HP Jiffy that I love.  Was actually shopping for a 2 HP for all the reasons mentioned above - especially the lightweight part - I got a heckuva deal on the 3 HP tho...love it, go with either one, they both work great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.