Author Topic: VENISON LOGS  (Read 22869 times)

Offline Richi

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Venison Logs
« Reply #30 on: Sep 03, 2018, 08:39 AM »

Looks very tasty :P :P

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2018, 10:12 PM »
Killer recipe, just got mine out of the smoker and it is a keeper. Definitely gonna drag the grinder back out and make a triple batch of this and freeze it to get me through hard water season. Thanks for sharing this   :thumbsup:

Offline eastchannel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 18, 2018, 04:24 PM »
I've been meaning to make this recipe for awhile, finally got around to it. I added 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper, used garlic powder instead of salt & 1/2 a cup of real maple syrup (tap my own trees). A little heat & a little sweet, made in the smoker. Heaven!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #33 on: Oct 19, 2018, 08:43 AM »
What temps are you smoking this summer sausage at?  (did I miss that?)....I think I have just enough venison left in the freezer to give this a whirl....and two pork butts in there as well.....cant wait.

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2018, 06:35 PM »
I have a master built electric smokers so max temp is 275. That is what I smoked it at with apple pellets.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2018, 07:16 AM »
I put mine in 2.5 x 20" long casings and in the smoker for 4.5 hours a 165 degrees. I added high temp cheddar cheese to mine I just made 3 a couple days ago. They turn out great. I don't use a lot of smoke just one pan about at the half way point. I case the meat and let them in the refrigerator for a couple days. The spice blends in better, I take them out of the refrigerator for a couple hours so they room temperature then into the smoker.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #36 on: Nov 10, 2018, 06:17 AM »
Its not fish, but I'm guessing I'm not the only person with ground Venison in the freezer who may be looking for new recipes.

I got this sausage recipe from a co worker and thought I would post it here for anyone that would like to try it.

Ingredients:
2 Lbs. Ground Venison
1 Lbs. Ground Pork (Do not substitute pork sausage)
2 TBS. Liquid Smoke
1/3 Cup of Cold Water
3 TBS.  Morton’s Tender Quick Home Meat Cure
1 TBS.  Garlic Salt
1 TBS.  Onion Powder
1 TBS.  Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
2 TBS.  Mustard Seeds
1 TBS.  Crushed Red Pepper

(Image removed from quote.)
1) Place the ground venison and ground pork in a large mixing bowl.
2) Mix the water and liquid smoke together and pour over the meat.
3) Sprinkle dry ingredients over meat.
4) Mix with your hands until all ingredients are very well incorporated.

5) Cover and chill in your refrigerator for 24 hours.
6) Uncover and mix very well again.

7) Heat oven to 325 degrees.
8) Equally divide meat mixture into 3 balls.
9) Evenly roll each ball into a “Venison log” approximately 12 inches long by 2 inches in diameter.
10) Place the logs on a broiler pan and bake for 1 hour (160 degrees internal temperature)

11) Pat each log with paper towels to help remove any excess grease.
12) Place on wire cooling rack.
13) Dab with paper towels while cooling if needed to remove any excess grease.

Once cooled, wrap well and keep chilled. Can be frozen.

Slice and serve with cheese and crackers, fresh fruit, condiments or my favorite, just by itself.

Note:  I have used ground sirloin with great results when no venison was available.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Hey Joe... and all. Anyone ever add shredded cheese to this recipe? Thinking maybe a cup or so would work.  :-\
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 10, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Since this recipe hits 325F and is technically "cooked" a high melt temperature cheese is required or it would melt out all over the place. One of the guys we make sausage with adds cheese and it is killer. He still gets the hi-temp cheese even though we cold smoke.

All about high melt temp cheese
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Nov 10, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Since this recipe hits 325F and is technically "cooked" a high melt temperature cheese is required or it would melt out all over the place. One of the guys we make sausage with adds cheese and it is killer. He still gets the hi-temp cheese even though we cold smoke.

All about high melt temp cheese

I used to have a similar recipe to this (looked this morning...couldn't find it...and don't remember who gave it to me) that "baked" at something like 200* for 4-6 hours...probably would work at that temp. Maybe I'll try it. :-\

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 10, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Scroll to top of posting and it’s baked, that’s how I make it

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 10, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Cooking, baking... For me, after 40 plus years baking bread, it's cooked. Baking is for bread. I know, it's just me.

From the directions at the top:

9) Evenly roll each ball into a “Venison log” approximately 12 inches long by 2 inches in diameter.
10) Place the logs on a broiler pan and bake for 1 hour (160 degrees internal temperature)

Oh, he did say "bake". Silly me  ;)2

Nevertheless, bake, smoke, cook you still need the high temp cheese.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Nov 10, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Cooking, baking... For me, after 40 plus years baking bread, it's cooked. Baking is for bread. I know, it's just me.

From the directions at the top:

Oh, he did say "bake". Silly me  ;)2

Nevertheless, bake, smoke, cook you still need the high temp cheese.

So what does "half-baked" mean? My short term memory isn't as good as it used to be. :whistle:

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 10, 2018, 08:21 AM »
So what does "half-baked" mean? My short term memory isn't as good as it used to be. :whistle:
.  "A Requirement to become a politician  in this country" ...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Nov 10, 2018, 08:24 AM »
.  "A Requirement to become a politician  in this country" ...

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #44 on: Nov 10, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Half-baked = esox_xtm. On a good day...  :whistle:

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 12, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Was hoping to give this a shot for camp this weekend, but having issues locating the Morton’s cure in a pinch. Does anyone have a suggested substitute?

Thanks in advance for any help

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #46 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Was hoping to give this a shot for camp this weekend, but having issues locating the Morton’s cure in a pinch. Does anyone have a suggested substitute?
realsalt  ;D

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 13, 2018, 06:59 AM »

Thanks, just wasn't sure if the low amounts nitrates and nitrites made a difference, being a newbie to the process

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Looks tasty.  My mouth is watering.

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:20 PM »
While we are discussing real salt. Real salt is an all natural mineral salt. Only found in Central Utah. It has over 50 trace minerals. For you that like to BBQ or smoke meats they have season salt, onion salt, and Garlic salt, that are made with organic seasonings. They are second to none. 1-800-FOR-SALT  They ship all over the world. Japan is their number one customer. Go Figure. Tight Lines HH

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #50 on: Dec 24, 2018, 04:43 PM »
I wanted to try this sausage and like all my new recipe charcuterie projects I made up a 1/2 batch.  I used ground sirloin, (RATS, no venison this year...).

It's good.  A little salty for me but I don't eat much salt.  As far as I'm concerned the recipe is fine as is.  The only thing I might try in the future is a 1/2 tsp each of ground cloves and allspice and some soy flour binder.

Xmas tomorrow so this will be on the board along w/ assorted cheeses, a variety of crackers and some German Mustard.

Thanks for posting this.

Life is GOOD!!!
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Looks Good! Do you have to use the pork? My brother and I make jerky with the jerky gun and use no pork.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:37 AM »
The logs are more like a sausage than jerky. Less fat in jerky is good.with sausage/logs you need a little fat (from pork or whatever) to keep things from becoming too dry and carry flavor throughout the product. The log recipe @ 66/33 is a little leaner than our sausage @ 60/40. Our finished sausage comes out 92% lean with that ratio, something you'll never find in commercially made products. The logs are leaner still.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:58 AM »

Don't know how I missed this. Regular, plain or "real" salt is not a substitute for Tender Quick. TQ is a curing salt rather than an actual "tenderizer" and contains both nitrates and nitrates along with some anti-cake. The addition of nitrates/nitrites is required to combat botulism. Pink curing salt/Prague powder is a combination of plain table salt (sodium chloride) and sodium nitrite and would be the most direct substitution along with other products sold as "curing salt". Regular salt can be used to "cure" foods but is not a "curing salt"

Other operations in sausage making also contribute to the safety of the finished product: controlled dehydration and smoke along with the added salts. Nitrates, nitrites and chlorides are all salts of various metals. Sodium chloride is plain salt as you know it, potassium nitrate is a gunpowder component, potassium chloride is a "no sodium" table salt alternative, calcium chloride is an ice melter and gold nitrate is a long effective arthritis treatment.

Mind your processing Ps & Qs especially if making a cold smoked (uncooked) product. Cleanliness, proper formulation and a good smoking all contribute to a safe, quality finished product. Cooked sausage is more forgiving.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: VENISON LOGS
« Reply #54 on: Dec 07, 2019, 03:30 PM »
I’ve had this recipe for a while but got around to making it a couple weeks ago with some moose meat I had in the freezer. Pretty good, I’ll make it again.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:21 PM »
I finally got around to trying this recipe & its a "Keeper" ! I did cut the Tender quick down to 2 TBSP & stuffed the mix into a casing & cooked it up to 160 degrees. The salt level is perfect for my taste.  I'm not going to worry about it not being cured or anything else like that, its not going to make it that long around here  ;D. , as usual, any of the recipes of Joe's ,that I have tried,are winners. Thanks for sharing & keep them coming !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #56 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I was given a fresh road kill last week. guy that hit it didn't want it and the lady that lived there called me.  cant beat still steaming road kill. lol  only lost a front quarter of the nice 7pt 160# buck.  after giving the ladys son some to make jerky I have about 10 pounds of grindies left so I mixed up about 5 pounds this morning.  going to toss in the smoker tomorrow and test these out.  if worthy ill share them around at our local legion. thanks for sharing OP

I also brined the three big muscles from a hind to smoke along with them.  charcoal n mesquite at 225.  turns them into smoked prime rib!  cant get enough.

brine=1/2gal. water 1/2cup salt  1/2 cup sugar tablespoon each rosemary onion powder garlic powder and pepper.  submerge in brine for 2 days.                                                   
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:22 PM »
turned out great!  I added some heat with some garlics chilli sauce stuff.  smoked them 2 hours at 225 then boosted temp to bring internal temp to 160*.

lets see if I can drop a pic.

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:23 PM »
maybe teriyaki for next 5#

OANN the real story

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Nov 16, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Hey Joe... and all. Anyone ever add shredded cheese to this recipe? Thinking maybe a cup or so would work.  :-\

Iceassin,

Made a batch a couple of weeks ago and added cheese, it turned out great!
Click the link esox_xtm posted about using high temp cheese for a good start.
I got my high temp cheese off eBay, but you can also get it at Cabela's, Bass pro shops, and other places.
I went with a 1/4" dice Wisconsin cheddar, but there are many options

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.