Author Topic: Problems w/fish trap "guide" shelter...  (Read 14259 times)

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Problems w/fish trap "guide" shelter...
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Maybe they should pull em!!  I would!!  Time to go back to the drawing board fella's!

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Update:  I spoke w/Clam and they basically are telling me that my complaints are, in fact design flaws.  As I said earlier the spreader poles from the yukon solved the tipping issue.  The seat, apparently, was supposed to have a wooden type of insert between the angle iron brackets...  Ok, my issues are solved as far as I can see.  We'll see what the do for me to compensate my grief though!  :)  Thanks all.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:56 AM »
nice to see they helped you out some. Most of these companies do realise that customer care goes a long way towards future sales.
    I would like to think they would have some form of field testing program. If they did, that bench seat never would have made it to market
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:08 AM »
i always like to remind  those who create and sell us these many products that we are able to rate and share our opinions on a place like ice shanty.com. word travels about issues and buying decisions are made by accessing those words and opinions. seller beware!!!!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:17 AM »
What I would really like to know is:  Has anyone else purchased this model (fish trap guide w/the bench seats..new model) and what are your thoughts??   >:(

I bought one a few weeks ago. I have no complaints. Doesn't tip and I find the bench really convenient and not uncomfortable at all. Taking it out again tomorrow with the bro in law. I'll let you know how that goes but I can't really see it being all that bad :) . The bench seat is here and crying about it probably won't make it go away  :tipup:

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Well upperchponder I glad you have solved your problems with them,Thanks for posting this I was going to buy one,but instead I got a Shappell 1.5 Rover.I am sure it hurt some sales Thanks again for the post
                                                                                                         Art
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline BenBeattie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:49 PM »
I have a new style Guide with the bench seas.  No complaints here.  Doesn't tip, sets up well, is sturdy.  As for the bench, I haven't been uncomfortable yet and I always have a partner with me.  Plus, if you have a youngster along they can easily have a seat in the middle.  We can load all our gear, including a gas auger, and easily get the cover on.  I have fished in the old style traps with the 2 seats and I really don't see what all the fuss is about wrt the bench seat.   

My only complaint is the clip/strap system for holding the bench seat onto the bench frame. 

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:17 AM »
Fact:  w/o the spreader poles from the yukon model it is VERY tippy!!  I don't and can't understand those of you who have one and do not agree.  Fact 2:  The people at Clam set one up "upstairs" of the factory (I assume), and told me that I was correct...it IS VERY tippy!  They admitted that there were/are problems with this model. 

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:37 AM »
I'd like to agree with you but my guide is fine. I don't really find it tippy at all.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:44 AM »
I'd like to agree with you but my guide is fine. I don't really find it tippy at all.

Perhaps it has to do with the amount of gear one carries out with them on the ice and whether you leave it in your sled or not?  That could be why one is saying its tippy and others are saying it isn't?   Just a thought?  If I keep just my jig bag in my sled...I'd find it wasn't tippy either....... ;D  I don't have too many jigs do I? ;)
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:54 AM »

Well, you're a lucky guy then!  :)  Like I said they told me that my issues were well founded.  I can tip mine over (without the spreader poles) w/1 finger-literally!  I spoke w/the guys @ the store I bought it from and they agreed.  They set one up and laughed @ how ridiculously easy it is to tip over.

As for the amount of gear comment, if I had the sled filled w/water all the way to the top, that may solve the tipping issue.  Kind of alot of extra weight to yank around though....

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:00 AM »
Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone else has purchased the fish trap guide series from the Clam Corp?  I am speaking of the "new" model for this year...the one w/the bench seat.  I have had some serious issues with it and I was wondering if anyone else can relate?  W/out getting into detail the issues I have are with the stability (tips over VERY easily, and with the bench seats comfort factor (or lack thereof).  Anyone have any input?

Thanks,

I have no problem with the bench seat when the sled is sitting right on the ice. If you have 6 inches or so of snow under the sled the unit can be tippy. The snow compresses under the bench area and the unit no longer sits level. Solution - use your foot to scrape the snow down to ice level so it is sitting on the ice. Deep snow - carry a small shovel. It's no big deal to me.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:10 PM »
I have a 1 man clam  & I was @ gander M.  today & got a small bucket  seat  & I will try  that tomarrow  on my damm HARD seat  & with my suit or bibs on  I have a lot of padding there  but my ass still hurts when I am in my shanty  from sunup to  allmost  dark  so we shall see  how it will work
 >:(
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:15 AM »
I IMO don't think it has to do with the bench seat.... I had a clam guide with the two seats (not the swivil seats) and it would tip over on me as well. too much weight to the front of it (not that I weigh a ton) and that shanty was about 7 years old. So I guess it has been a problem with the Guide for awhile.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:31 AM »
Again, if I clear the snow I have no problem tipping. I go 225 and my son is 220 and with both on the bench it is still stable. If we don't clear the snow, well that's a different story.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline 315perch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Hard Water Freak"
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I have a FISH TRAP II Guide, 2 Man, and I find the swivel seets far superior to the bench and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm suprised that Clam Corp gave you a bit of gruff at first. I was missing a whole section of support rods and connectors and they FedEx'd the parts to me no questioned asked. They have always been a good company to me.... but to be honest a lot of companies are cutting corners because of fuel prices, unfortunately us as consumers get the stiffy when it comes to quality. My solution? Put the new one on craigslist for 50.00 under full price, and pick up an older guide from craigslist with the swivel seats. I've seen no less than 10 on there in the last few weeks. I fish solo a lot, however even with the added weight I'm much happier at the end of the day because of comfort. This is a beast if you have to pull through snow though. Snowmobile for me is the only way to go. Good luck. Jim/315perch

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:55 AM »
Purchased the new Guide w bench seat this year and we love it. Had it out 11 times no problems. Went out yesterday for 12 hours with wind and had no tipping problems, never had tipping problems. I usually keep jigbox, lunhbox, rope, bait and other odds and ends in the sled. Everything else goes in front of me or outside.  I clear the snow where we fish anyway to get to the same level as the ice. The bench seat is nice for setting stuff while rigging poles, making lunch or whatever. At 6'4" and 275# I'm very comfortable. We bring along a Recon for added gear and then we use the Recon as a satelite to spot tipups along way from our base. I would recomend this product to anyone.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline BUSTNDUX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2009, 10:04 AM »
...and, the people at Clam seemed as if they didnt even care about the issues I have.  Case in point, I emailed them this morning about the issues and have yet to recieve a response!!  Ok, I'm really getting mad about this.  In these times I need to ask myself:  Has Dave Genz had these problems??  :)

This is a little off topic since I have a Clam 2000 not a Guide but I'm having some product quality issues also. I bought my Clam new in January of 07 and the stitching came out of one of the zippers so I had to rig it closed and can no longer use that door....also the floor is breaking apart on the side that has the indentions to hold your 5 gallon buckets when your pulling it. I take really good care of my gear...so it's really dissapointing to have a two year old shanty that is basically falling apart. I emailed Clam customer service on the advice of another member of this site on the 28th and have yet to hear from them. I know several guys that use Fish Trap Yukons and they love them...but I just can't bring myself to buy another shanty from them...because the one I have now is a peice of junk! I sure as heck don't want to be buying a new shanty every two years!! :'( :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.