Author Topic: Problems w/fish trap "guide" shelter...  (Read 14258 times)

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
Problems w/fish trap "guide" shelter...
« on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone else has purchased the fish trap guide series from the Clam Corp?  I am speaking of the "new" model for this year...the one w/the bench seat.  I have had some serious issues with it and I was wondering if anyone else can relate?  W/out getting into detail the issues I have are with the stability (tips over VERY easily, and with the bench seats comfort factor (or lack thereof).  Anyone have any input?

Thanks,

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Problems w/fish trap "guide" shelter...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:54 PM »
Move the seat brackets forward or backwards to solve the tipping issue .

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:56 PM »
You'd think... That won't work as the seat bracket is affixed to the hoop mountings at the "porch" side of the sled itself.  Clam told me that I could raise the seat and solve the issue... Wrong!! 

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Also, they don't provide any spacer bars for the hoops (that would provide stability).  I had to finnagle the spacer bars from a yukon model from the dealer that I bought it from.  I am really dissapointed w/the shelter as a whole.  I'm suprised as I have had success in the past w/Clam...  *sigh*

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:39 PM »
...and, the people at Clam seemed as if they didnt even care about the issues I have.  Case in point, I emailed them this morning about the issues and have yet to recieve a response!!  Ok, I'm really getting mad about this.  In these times I need to ask myself:  Has Dave Genz had these problems??  :)

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:40 PM »
With Clams Flop, and Frabills new line-up.  The Clam guys are in serious trouble.  I have an '07 or '08 guide (im not 100percent sure) but its is a great shelter.  I  got an '09 scout and that is an awesome shanty too.

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:44 PM »
The model that I have (with the bench seat) is about as bad as I can imagine!!!  I wouldn't recommend this shelter to my worst enemy! 

Offline yukon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • leaving the ice sometimes as hard as going to work
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:58 PM »
I have a guide it's only on it's second year, I like the seats and the fact that I can take one out and move the other to the center and mount it there for lots of room when fishing solo. Don't understand the move to make a model w/a bench seat. U could always set a milk crate in the center if u r takin a youngster. :o 

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:02 PM »
Clam went cheap, its definetly cheaper to jam an uncomfortable bench then two nice swivle seats. Im lucky i got my guide a couple years ago!!

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:23 PM »
Yeah, if I knew then what I knew now I wouldnt have bought that piece of crap!!  Since I've "retro-fitted" it (fancy word for making it useable), I cannot return it.  It's really sad that I have to take it out of the box, set it up, and NOT be able to use it!!  Please, take my advice, DO NOT buy the model w/the bench seat!!!!!   I'm here to tell you, it WILL TIP OVER with the slightest wind (when you aren't in it) and the seat will make your rear end numb!!!  Again, DO NOT buy it... just my 2 cents... 

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Looked at a fish trap guide today and was not impressed with it. The zippers didn't seem to close very well seemed like they would break.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:18 PM »
My wife and I were in the market for a two person flip over, and that bench seat was a deal breaker.  We hated to spend the extra $200, but we went with the Yukon, and are glad we did.  Better seating and a bit higher so we can stand up straight if needed.  I also have a Scout that I wouldn't trade for anything. 

Jeff

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:21 PM »
My wife and I were in the market for a two person flip over, and that bench seat was a deal breaker.  We hated to spend the extra $200, but we went with the Yukon, and are glad we did.  Better seating and a bit higher so we can stand up straight if needed.  I also have a Scout that I wouldn't trade for anything. 

Jeff

My friends questioned me buying the scout, said I rarely fish alone, I've used it 7 times this season already!! Went out with buddies in my Trap Guide around 4 times... Now that I have the scout im much more comfortable on the ice and I go out more often by myself

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:27 PM »
My friends questioned me buying the scout, said I rarely fish alone, I've used it 7 times this season already!! Went out with buddies in my Trap Guide around 4 times... Now that I have the scout im much more comfortable on the ice and I go out more often by myself

We had a Frabill Outback, and I bought the Scout for both fishing alone and hauling our gear when we fished together.  Sold that damn Frabill suitcase after sitting in the wind all day on Friday getting beat up, and fighting it when trying to move.  Sold it Fri. night, bought the Yukon, and picked it up assembled w/runners on Saturday.  Spent all day Sat. and most of Sunday in the Yukon and loved every minute of it!!  We were able to quickly move at will and enjoyed the days a lot more.  My wife has the grandkids every other weekend, and I just use the Scout then.  Best of both worlds.

Jeff

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:29 PM »
  I hear you guys on the bench seat thats for the birds no way would I have it. Id call clam and see if the have any last years modles in the wherehouse and snatch it up. Or if they have any single seats for the sled?

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:45 PM »
I have a viking best shanty I've ever owned and never tips over. clam sux now when they got a spokesman (Genz) Their products stareted to suck everyone thinks he is the greatest in reality he is just a decent guide.  He endorses junk and is all about the money ...

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:59 PM »
I bet is Team Otter or Frabill paid enough, Genz would endorse 'em in a heart beat. 

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:01 PM »
My wife got me a Scout for Christmas. I love it!!! I was out saturday and the wind was howling. If not or this shelter I wouldn't have lasted 2 hours on the ice. But I was able to put in a solid 9 hours. I don't know why it took so long to get a shelter. Now I have a Vex. a Fish Trap Scout, A Heater, and all winter to fish. Life is good!!!

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:02 PM »
My wife got me a Scout for Christmas. I love it!!! I was out saturday and the wind was howling. If not or this shelter I wouldn't have lasted 2 hours on the ice. But I was able to put in a solid 9 hours. I don't know why it took so long to get a shelter. Now I have a Vex. a Fish Trap Scout, A Heater, and all winter to fish. Life is good!!!

Life is great man!! The vex completed my arsenal last year. 

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2009, 11:26 PM »
Upperchpounder, I feel bad for ya.  They won't let you return it?  Even though it doesn't function properly?  That isn't your fault?  Had it been Cabelas you could take it all down put it back in the box and return it.  That was the beauty of Cabelas not only are they great about customer satisfaction, but also this winter...you could sit in any one of the 10 or so shanties they had set up.  Nothing like seeing it firsthand prior to buying.  I did notice that this years Guide had a bench seat and I went inside and sat in it.   :blink: I did not like it either.  very uncomfortable as compared to mine.  I got the Guide with the two seats and love it.  I have the old style Scout for days alone and the Guide for when my daughter or a buddy accompanies me for a day on the ice.  I hope you find what your looking for.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Upperchpounder, I feel bad for ya.  They won't let you return it?  Even though it doesn't function properly?  That isn't your fault?  Had it been Cabelas you could take it all down put it back in the box and return it.  That was the beauty of Cabelas not only are they great about customer satisfaction, but also this winter...you could sit in any one of the 10 or so shanties they had set up.  Nothing like seeing it firsthand prior to buying.  I did notice that this years Guide had a bench seat and I went inside and sat in it.   :blink: I did not like it either.  very uncomfortable as compared to mine.  I got the Guide with the two seats and love it.  I have the old style Scout for days alone and the Guide for when my daughter or a buddy accompanies me for a day on the ice.  I hope you find what your looking for.

Yeah I feel bad for me too!  :)  Nope, after I made alterations, they won't let me return it... I HAD to make those alterations just to get it to work.  I have yet to address the issue of the bench seats comfort (or lack thereof)...  My buddy that I fish w/alot bought an otter this year and man, its a Cadillac compared to the pinto I have!!!  Thanks Clam!!! Oh, an they STILL have NOT replied to my email!!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:25 AM »
I have a viking best shanty I've ever owned and never tips over. clam sux now when they got a spokesman (Genz) Their products stareted to suck everyone thinks he is the greatest in reality he is just a decent guide.  He endorses junk and is all about the money ...

Opinion's are opinion's and you are entitled to them but I would choose you're words a little more wisely !
They are a site sponsor and it would be a shame to loose a sponsor for Scott .
I would suggest that if you have an issue with a product to contact them directly and not on a public forum .

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:46 AM »
Opinion's are opinion's and you are entitled to them but I would choose you're words a little more wisely !
They are a site sponsor and it would be a shame to loose a sponsor for Scott .
I would suggest that if you have an issue with a product to contact them directly and not on a public forum .

Well, I do agree w/you there.  Fact is though, I DID call them...  I DID email them...  On the phone they told me something like "it is what it is"... as for the email, I have yet to even get a response.  So, if this is how they choose to "rectify" my problems, I feel as though I need to warn fellow fishermen about getting into the same situation that I am in!  I am choosing my words correctly.  I could really go off here but choose to be respectful.  :)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:51 AM »
Well, I do agree w/you there.  Fact is though, I DID call them...  I DID email them...  On the phone they told me something like "it is what it is"... as for the email, I have yet to even get a response.  So, if this is how they choose to "rectify" my problems, I feel as though I need to warn fellow fishermen about getting into the same situation that I am in!  I am choosing my words correctly.  I could really go off here but choose to be respectful.  :)
My comment was in no way directed towards you , What I was suggesting was directly related to what was in the quote I responded to .
As fro you , I would contact the person I told you about he will hook you up with someone who can take care of you or do it himself .
He's a very busy man and may take a few day's to get back to you but he will .

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:53 AM »
I would really bet that clam re-designs this bench seat for next year.

The guide went from a great shack to a piece of junk in my opinion. I love Clam products but this was not a good call.

I have a 4 year old guide and it is AWESOME!  I will never sell this shack!

Just my .02.

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:07 AM »
My comment was in no way directed towards you , What I was suggesting was directly related to what was in the quote I responded to .
As fro you , I would contact the person I told you about he will hook you up with someone who can take care of you or do it himself .
He's a very busy man and may take a few day's to get back to you but he will .

I appologize TIG, I appreciate you trying to help here.  As I told you before I spoke w/an engineer (who knows maybe the one who designed the "guide") and he basically blew me off and tried to defend the design.  I understand trying to defend your own mistakes but he just didn't want to hear me out.  Again, sorry for the confusing TIG.  :)

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:09 AM »

I bet is Team Otter or Frabill paid enough, Genz would endorse 'em in a heart beat.  

Err... Dave Genz designed/invented and marketed the "Fish Trap" back in the early 80s and combined companies with "The Clam" in 1990.  He isn't just some "spokesman" or and endorsee.  

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:43 AM »
What I would really like to know is:  Has anyone else purchased this model (fish trap guide w/the bench seats..new model) and what are your thoughts??   >:(

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2009, 03:36 PM »
What I would really like to know is:  Has anyone else purchased this model (fish trap guide w/the bench seats..new model) and what are your thoughts??   >:(

Really?  No one?  :(

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2009, 03:54 PM »
Really?  No one?  :(

I don't know man, I din't even see the new guide at bass pro shop near my house, Im guessing they arent selling to hot. The new Scouts are flying off the shelf though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.