Author Topic: Portable Shelters....................  (Read 11181 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Portable Shelters....................
« on: Oct 20, 2008, 03:44 PM »
I'm looking to get a portable shelter, flip over design for mobility.
What would be the best in a/ 1 man b/ 2 man????
I need one that can handle extreme cold (I live north of 60), sets up in seconds (I had one of the pop up Eastmans) was a total pain in the extreme cold. Set up fine in the house but in the cold was junk, one of the seams tore first time out. (I returned it the next day)
Towable would be good for the back of the sled.

Fish Trap, Frabill, others??????
I will most likely have to mail order it :( either that or get totally ripped off by the local fishing stores.  >:(

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Portable Shelters....................
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2008, 03:56 PM »
I have a Shappel Rover 1.5, for the money it's a nice little unit, Lots of room and easy to set up and tow.  ;D

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2008, 04:00 PM »
I'm looking to get a portable shelter, flip over design for mobility.
What would be the best in a/ 1 man b/ 2 man????
I need one that can handle extreme cold (I live north of 60), sets up in seconds (I had one of the pop up Eastmans) was a total pain in the extreme cold. Set up fine in the house but in the cold was junk, one of the seams tore first time out. (I returned it the next day)
Towable would be good for the back of the sled.

Fish Trap, Frabill, others??????
I will most likely have to mail order it :( either that or get totally ripped off by the local fishing stores.  >:(

Just purchased one of these - from these folks:  http://www.canvascraftinc.com/norpac.html
Seems they are "builders" of the Norpac fabric and they are dealers for Frabill.
Just did the assembly last Friday afternoon (at work) - had to have it shipped truck freight to a loading dock.
It is a quality shelter.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Keep the info coming guys, I still don't know what I'm going to get.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:48 PM »
Keep the info coming guys, I still don't know what I'm going to get.
I have few Clams shelters, I pick this Fish Trap X this summer. I have heard Good things about them, can wait to try it out. Hope these photos will help you decide.

Offline KOELE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2008, 07:36 PM »
I am a pretty big fan of Frabill ice shelters.  Frabill has just come out wiht a new one man ice fishing shelter called the Commando.  It is suppose to best and the one man shacks ans it is suppose to have the most room compared to other one mans.  It is suppose to very quick setup .  It is designed to be super mobile and comfortable. the downside is the price.  I think the msrp is about $280.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Drifter:  I would think about the following....
1.  Do you live on a lake or do you need to haul your gear to a lake to fish?
2.  Do you usually fish alone or with someone else?
3.  How do you get your gear on the lake?
4.  How much gear do you take out...a lot or not much?
5.  How long do you stay on the ice at a time?

1.  If you need to haul your gear, weight and size are a major consideration, especially if you usually fish alone.  Loading and unloading can be a b@ll-buster if you have a pickup and a heavy shelter. 
2.  See above
3.  Nice big, heavy shelters are great if you are using a machine to get on the ice.  If you are pulling by hand, it gets old fast. 
4.  Lots of gear = lots of weight.  Put that in a heavy shelter and you have your work cut out for you.  However, If you use a machine, a bigger shelter is nice as they carry all your stuff.  Also, some of the heavier shelters are heavy because they have a high quality sled.  Great behind a machine, bad if you are dragging your gear by hand.   
5.  If you fish all day or all night, you might want to consider a heavier and warmer shelter.  If you only go out for a few hours at a time, it might be overkill.

Every shelter out there has its pros and its' cons.  Answer the questions above and that will help you narrow down what you are looking for. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Todd_J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2008, 02:22 PM »
If your looking for a bomb-proof outfit, check out the portables over at OtterOutdoors.com

They are a bit more, but worth every penny. 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Drifter:  I would think about the following....
1.  Do you live on a lake or do you need to haul your gear to a lake to fish?
2.  Do you usually fish alone or with someone else?
3.  How do you get your gear on the lake?
4.  How much gear do you take out...a lot or not much?
5.  How long do you stay on the ice at a time?

1.  If you need to haul your gear, weight and size are a major consideration, especially if you usually fish alone.  Loading and unloading can be a b@ll-buster if you have a pickup and a heavy shelter. 
2.  See above
3.  Nice big, heavy shelters are great if you are using a machine to get on the ice.  If you are pulling by hand, it gets old fast. 
4.  Lots of gear = lots of weight.  Put that in a heavy shelter and you have your work cut out for you.  However, If you use a machine, a bigger shelter is nice as they carry all your stuff.  Also, some of the heavier shelters are heavy because they have a high quality sled.  Great behind a machine, bad if you are dragging your gear by hand.   
5.  If you fish all day or all night, you might want to consider a heavier and warmer shelter.  If you only go out for a few hours at a time, it might be overkill.

Every shelter out there has its pros and its' cons.  Answer the questions above and that will help you narrow down what you are looking for. 

Yeah, I guess a little more info would help.  :pinch:

1/ Yes I live on a lake, but fish other lakes as well.
2/ It's usually just me and the dog, occasionally one other friend.
3/ I have a 2008 Yamaha RS Venture GT Snowmachine to get to any of the dozen or so local lakes and a sled trailer for the sled and hut when hitting the further away lakes.
I usually don't have need of a shelter early in the season (first ice) I just use a home made ski pulk to carry my gear onto the ice.
4/ I don't over do it with the gear unless I am goingon an extended camping trip. Usually it's a small bait cooler, rod bag to hold several rods and a tackle box or two, heater and 4.5 gal propane tank, auger/1 gallon gas can,
shovel, survival gear (signaling device, emerg. blankets, twine/parachute cord, fire and noise making devices)
5/ I usually fish 4 to 8 hours depending on the weather (no shelter yet) In the dead of winter we have 4 hours of daylight and temps can get as cold as -70F  :woot:
But I usually stay home if it's colder than -30-35. I know I'm a wuss!!!!  :laugh:

Thanks for all the good info so far guys, keep it coming!!!  :D

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2008, 02:52 PM »
I have few Clams shelters, I pick this Fish Trap X this summer. I have heard Good things about them, can wait to try it out. Hope these photos will help you decide.

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

What are the cabin style shelter like for setting up?

Offline hoythunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2008, 03:04 PM »
with temps like that i think i would be finding a new place to live thats not so cold but that i could still icefish

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2008, 03:30 PM »
With temps like that and as long as you're not pulling much by hand, I would go with FishForPike's recommendation. 
The NorPac is an Thinsulate insulated fabric (rated R2) that holds heat much better than the single-layer type of cover and CanvasCraft does excellent quality work.  I live fairly close the them and know their work because they make the covers for an IceFishing vehicle that my fishing buddy builds.

I've fished in both of these units (both covers made by CanvasCraft) both covers absorb warmth on a calm sunny day.  The NorPac is noticibly warmer on a cloudy day or windy day, but especially warmer after sunset with the buddy heater going.

Regular Cover Exterior                                                  Regular Cover Interior

NorPac Exterior

NorPac Interior
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2008, 04:11 PM »
WOW!!!! CHESSE&RICE, Desperado...  :bow: I want one of those! Anyway back to the thread.... I went to the clam for one reason they stand behind there product. Beside the x2 material they really havent changed. I have a scout and a yukon. My suggestion would be the guide. The scout is small, the yukon is heavy in deep snow. I think I need to stop taking so much stuff out with me!
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2008, 05:58 PM »

What are the cabin style shelter like for setting up?
I don't find any of my Clam shelters hard to put up. I have a Clam Sleeper as well as an older 4 person Clam. I can put up my Sleeper that opens up to 8' x 8' and weight 190lbs empty with me and another person. What I do find is if you don't have a sled under them they can plow snow which can make them hard to pull. So I made a sled to pull mine, you can pull it by hand or by machine. Works Great, I posted some pictures of my sled and shelters. Hope this info helps

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2008, 10:58 PM »
Drifter:  Good info.  Based on what you said, I would definitely agree with FishforPike and Desperado.  In your situation (with a snow machine, trailer and 12 lakes close by that you can sled to) you don't have to be as concerned with weight.  Your primary considerations should be warmth and room for your gear for 8 hours of fishing in potential sub zero temps.  You also want a good sled on the house that won't fall apart after you pull it for 100 or 200 miles.  That Norpac unit is made right here in suburban Mpls and is insulated with Thinsulate.  I've heard nothing but good things about the company that makes these units (canvas craft).  Very, very good setup.  Light color on the inside, so you can light it easily (bad if you are doing any darkhouse spearing).  Some of the warmest stuff you are going to find.  Good house for 1 or two guys and a dog.  That Clam X2 is a great unit too (also made here in Mpls) but in those kinds of temperatures, I'd lean towards the Norpac.  Which ever way you go, it is a pretty good year to look at buying from the US since our dollar is beat up. 

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2008, 11:25 PM »
FISHHEAD:  For about the price of a Polaris Ranger, you can have a Wilcraft.  Many great icefishing features; best one is, it floats.  check it out at thewilcraft.com

DRIFTER: You can see the NorPac covers at canvascraftinc.com
 Canvas Craft makes the cover and framework (tubing) to fit on an Otter sled; you can purchase it all from Canvas Craft (including the sled).  Or they will sell you just the cover and framework, if you already have an Otter sled or want to purchase one closer to home.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2008, 01:05 PM »
Desperado: Those Wilcraft look like slick units.  How do you get that back up on the ice if you break through?  Always been curious about that. 

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2008, 02:16 PM »
HoleHopper, Are you going to the IceFishing Show at the St Paul civic center?  If so, stop by the Wilcraft booth.  We can then show you what I will try to describe.  If you get there, ask if I'm around; would be fun to meet you.

The wheels retract to set the unit on the ice for fishing.  So if you break through, you retract the rear wheels (get them as far up as they will go).  This gets them high enough that they can grab the top of the ice.  Then put the Wilcraft in reverse and give it the throttle.  It helps if you have the tires studded. 

here's some video that shows one backing out of the water onto the ice.  of the 1:30 video, the part you want is from 34 to 44 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZdHygak3U
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2008, 02:40 PM »
Drifter:  Good info.  Based on what you said, I would definitely agree with FishforPike and Desperado.  In your situation (with a snow machine, trailer and 12 lakes close by that you can sled to) you don't have to be as concerned with weight.  Your primary considerations should be warmth and room for your gear for 8 hours of fishing in potential sub zero temps.  You also want a good sled on the house that won't fall apart after you pull it for 100 or 200 miles.  That Norpac unit is made right here in suburban Mpls and is insulated with Thinsulate.  I've heard nothing but good things about the company that makes these units (canvas craft).  Very, very good setup.  Light color on the inside, so you can light it easily (bad if you are doing any darkhouse spearing).  Some of the warmest stuff you are going to find.  Good house for 1 or two guys and a dog.  That Clam X2 is a great unit too (also made here in Mpls) but in those kinds of temperatures, I'd lean towards the Norpac.  Which ever way you go, it is a pretty good year to look at buying from the US since our dollar is beat up. 

Yeah, well our Canuck Buck just tanked!! It's now at it's lowest point in three years.  :'(

I have found the perfect Ice Shelter, now if I could only afford to buy it.  :unsure:
Anybody know what these things go for?  ???   ???   ???   ???

http://www.snow-bear.com/index.php

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Last years prices for Snobears was in the $32,000 to $35,000 range.
I'll check this years prices at the St Paul ice fishing show (Dec 5-7) and let ya know.

Check out thewilcraft.com  (they go for about one third of the price of a Snobear)
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Last years prices for Snobears was in the $32,000 to $35,000 range.
I'll check this years prices at the St Paul ice fishing show (Dec 5-7) and let ya know.

Check out thewilcraft.com  (they go for about one third of the price of a Snobear)

Thanks, that's the range I thought they were in. I need to win the lottery. :'(

I don't know how well the wilcraft will work here. We end up with several feet of snow by the end of February. I can see it getting stuck alot.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2008, 03:43 PM »
An X2 Thermal would probably be one of the best portables for your situation. Otter makes a very solid house but they don't have an insulated covering. With the cold temps your talking about an insulated trap would be best. Seal it up tight, add a good heater and your set to fish.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2008, 03:48 PM »
Seal it up tight, add a good heater and your set to fish.

If you are going to use a heater, don't seal it up too tight.  Good ventilation is critical for survival if you are using a propane heater or lantern.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2008, 04:00 PM »
You'd likely be pleasantly surprised.  I know I have been.  I won't say it'll go everywhere a snowmobile will go as well as a snowmobile will.  But the lightweight and hull design make it way better than an ATV in deep snow.   The whole unit weighs just under 500 lbs and the bottom of the hull is quite similar to the front half of a snowmobile, thus the Wilcraft does a suprisingly good job of staying on top of the snow.  Also if you do get stuck, it's pretty easy to lift due to it's light weight.

We get some pretty deep snow in norther Minnesota too;  I saw one day when ATV's and snowmobiles were stuck in knee deep slush and we went right by with the Wilcraft because we were able to "float along" on top and not get hung up.
If you add a set of tracks, it's pretty hard to get one stuck.  

here's one with tracks

here's one without tracks going over a plow bank ( the locking differential did the trick !!! )

Anyhow, if you're looking for something to pull behind your snowmobile then I think an Otter sled with a CanvasCraft NorPac flipover is the way to go.  
But if you are ever at the point of considering spending $10,000 to $12,000 for an Icef-ishing/Duck-hunting ATV type vehicle, give Wilcraft a serious consideration and by all means ask questions.  There is an on line inquiry form, a phone number, and address at http://www.thewilcraft.com/contact.php

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Drifter, decision re: Portable Shelters ?
« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Drifter
Just curious with the input you got, what way you decided (or are leaning toward).
Sounds like the NorPac flipover was kinda leading the recommendations.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline FloatinWoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2008, 04:31 PM »
I havent had an issue with my 2 man eastman ice cube. And it's been damn cold too..Wonder why the quality was bad on yours...

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Drifter, decision re: Portable Shelters ?
« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Drifter
Just curious with the input you got, what way you decided (or are leaning toward).
Sounds like the NorPac flipover was kinda leading the recommendations.

Still not sure, but I'm going to check a bunch out when I go outside to visit my folks for Christmas.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2008, 09:11 AM »
I haven't heard of anyone saying something about the Eskimos. I have the QuickFlipIII and love it. This ia a 3 man but they do make a Quick FlipII also at least I think they are still calling them this. I picked mine up a bout 3-4 years ago. You may want to check them out also. This is a very large investment for the Ice fisherman. Do your research. Don't rush into it if there s no need for the rush. You will have this for many years to come and you really want to be happy with your purchase. If you are actually able to see the different types that are out there is the best way.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:21 AM »
I haven't heard of anyone saying something about the Eskimos. I have the QuickFlipIII and love it. This ia a 3 man but they do make a Quick FlipII also at least I think they are still calling them this. I picked mine up a bout 3-4 years ago. You may want to check them out also. This is a very large investment for the Ice fisherman. Do your research. Don't rush into it if there s no need for the rush. You will have this for many years to come and you really want to be happy with your purchase. If you are actually able to see the different types that are out there is the best way.

The plan is to check them out in Toronto in December at Bass Pro and a couple of other large retailers in the area. I thought the Eastman was going to be good for me but I fought with it for 15 minutes in the cold trying to get the dang thing to pop out, the fabric was very stiff in the -35C temps I was setting it up in. It was way easier in the kitchen. :-[
I think I will be more mobile with a flipover unit that I can leave attached to my sled, fish a spot, flip it for travel and head to the next point or weedbed, fish and repeat.  :D
Better than having to collapse the shelter completely to move and then reset it.

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 28, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Go with the Shappell Rover good value for the money and made in Michigan , the lord knows they need the work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.