Author Topic: Perch spoons  (Read 15634 times)

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Perch spoons
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2014, 03:54 PM »
You may not fish a Ken's spoon in 40ft of water, but I have used the larger Mcgathy spoons in just under 50ft.  The lake that I fish, the perch can run deep sometimes.  They are an excellent spoons, lots of flash and good weight.  I have also used the smaller versions (various companies), and homemade version with very good success.  No bait required when jigging them.  I always have one tied on one of my rods.
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Castmaster
Pk spoon
Pk flutterfish
Slender spoon
Hali jig
Any tungsten jig in a 5mm
Any color really I have not found anything to work all the time. Just grab some colors and get some in ther with a gold and silver.
Cloudy or stained Water.. gold or cooper. Bright sunny clear water ..silver
I usually tip with wax worm, late ice you can use bigger spoons and or minnows or minnow heads. They will gorge themselves prior to spawn and get very agressive.

A big times two. Also have a deadstick under a float, just a J hook with a minnow on it. Jig one rod but watch the other catch fish.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2014, 11:16 AM »
in no particular order of pref.

tingler
hali
slender
pk predator
hawger jigawhopper original
len thompson
buckshot
when the perch get fussy abandon the spoons and go to genz worms wolfram jigs and other micro jigs tied two or three to each line with a maggot or pinched off chunk of crawler.
Those kens spoons look interesting but I don't think we can get em in Saskatchewan.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2014, 12:01 PM »
One more to add to the list... Clam bomb spoon/jig. It sinks faster than anything I own and shows up beautifully on the flasher. I'm pretty sure the flutterfish catches more, but the bomb is great in deep water. If you pound the bottom too aggressively the treble will occasionally get stuck in the paint on the upper part.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I've only caught perch once & I was using PK spoons.

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Hali only! I just change colors

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline Badgersbunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:35 PM »
http://youtu.be/uR8zgxv6Elwnot sure if I posted the link properly but here's an explanation of how to fish the beaded spoon

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:05 PM »
http://youtu.be/uR8zgxv6Elwnot sure if I posted the link properly but here's an explanation of how to fish the beaded spoon

The beaded spoon deal only seems to work in certain areas. I've tried it on hot perch bites at the Iowa Great Lakes. Wouldn't bite it.......

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Wow the rest of the ice fishing world is about 20 years behind us hear on lsc, the Ken spoons are made locally hear on lake st Clair I think the guy lives up in harbor beach, could be wrong but that's I think. The Ken spoons work great bead alone I like to bust it off and put an anis ball on it, or just tip the bead with one spike or a perch eye when I'm a school of big fish. The mcgathy hooks are made by a guy on simcoe there pretty much made for that lake they fish deeper water that's Crystal clean. They get down to the bottom very fast put out a lot of flash to attract fish and do a great job activating fish that are negative. Also try looking up Guster spoons they work the best the swim way outside of your hole and will pull in fish from very far away they basically are only made for catching fish in the 9"-14" range as they are a pretty large spoon. Also catch quite a few walleye on them while perch fishing.

You are wrong muskyrush, it's probably MORE than 20 years. Badgersbunk left a nice link heres another on the beaded spoon phenomenon: http://www.in-fisherman.com/gear-accessories/lures-gear-accessories/cold-war-connections-russian-spoons/ Note that outside Saginaw, St. Clair and Simcoe get honorable mention. Nice story behind the creation and some good tips on how to proceed. I suspect that they will do well even in environments that don't host trout or salmonids, but I could be wrong. A large part is in HOW you fish it, it's a little unconventional.

That said I do well with the old 1/8 oz. Jig-a-Whoppers (got a mold and make a pile) but my go to for perch is a small jigging Rap....
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Jiveturkey3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:37 PM »
The beaded spoon deal only seems to work in certain areas. I've tried it on hot perch bites at the Iowa Great Lakes. Wouldn't bite it.......

I am curious as to what an "Iowa Great Lake" is.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:38 PM »

An area in the NW corner of the state that includes Okoboji, Spirit Lakes and others. Also not coincidentally home of Berkley Fishing products.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Here in the East all I use is a Swedish pimple tipped with the eyeball from the first unlucky fish to be reeled in.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:00 PM »

Serious?  It's been shown on the In-Fisherman show a number of times. Doug Stange from in-fisherman grew up in the Iowa Great Lakes Chain. Also it is the home to berkley/pure fishing. There are a lot bigger better lakes in other states, but the chain of lakes is the biggest natural lakes in Iowa and it totals over 15,000 acres.

Oh if your by the Great Lakes or some of the bigger lakes these are nothing special, but it is prya the biggest lake area within a few hours.

Offline Jiveturkey3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Serious?  It's been shown on the In-Fisherman show a number of times. Doug Stange from in-fisherman grew up in the Iowa Great Lakes Chain. Also it is the home to berkley/pure fishing. There are a lot bigger better lakes in other states, but the chain of lakes is the biggest natural lakes in Iowa and it totals over 15,000 acres.

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh if your by the Great Lakes or some of the bigger lakes these are nothing special, but it is prya the biggest lake area within a few hours.

Cool! Learn something new everyday. I work in the seed industry and know lots of Iowa guys, also went to school near the quad cities. Just hadn't heard that term.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Have heard these work exceptionally well
http://www.joaniejiggs.com/Rembrant-Jigs.html

Catchin' Fish

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:46 PM »
You are wrong muskyrush, it's probably MORE than 20 years. Badgersbunk left a nice link heres another on the beaded spoon phenomenon: http://www.in-fisherman.com/gear-accessories/lures-gear-accessories/cold-war-connections-russian-spoons/ Note that outside Saginaw, St. Clair and Simcoe get honorable mention. Nice story behind the creation and some good tips on how to proceed. I suspect that they will do well even in environments that don't host trout or salmonids, but I could be wrong. A large part is in HOW you fish it, it's a little unconventional.

That said I do well with the old 1/8 oz. Jig-a-Whoppers (got a mold and make a pile) but my go to for perch is a small jigging Rap....
these where all the rage on simcoe perch last year, stores could not keep slab grabbers on the shelf.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:57 PM »

Thanks, tha vid was just the ticket to kill some time while doing server patching this evening  :thumbsup:

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:17 PM »

If you really want to get technical in-fisherman was calling them Russian spoons. The general term for the bait is  "Russian Hook"

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 03, 2014, 10:50 PM »
Does anyone use these in upstate NY?  I have seen these lures before but never heard of them fished locally, at least not in the lakes I fish that do not have trout or salmon species which the beads seem to replicate. I may have to give them a try when the bite is slow.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline Badgersbunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Here's a cpl I made last year.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Those are some nice looking spoons.
<===Lefty===

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:37 AM »
The Last Call and Dagger Spoons from Sportsmen's Direct are killer I fish them with a soft bead or a Little Atom nuggie

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:56 PM »
VMC tinglier spoons haven't failed me yet also used custom jigs and spins slender spoons in the small and medium sizes work good red is a hot color for me.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Here's a cpl I made last year.

Good looking stuff BB. Are those willow blades straight or did you kink them a bit? Were they fish catchers for you?

I was thinking of something similar.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:04 PM »
I just ordered 2  1 1/2" slab grabber sink spoons with a chrome side and brass side.  Can't wait to try them on my Lake Ontario bay spot.  Are these two toned ones the best of both world's or what?  Anyone use these much?

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:23 PM »
sorry drain pipe not sink spoon ha

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:27 PM »
I just ordered  four slab grabbers. Can't wait to try them. Couldn't find the Ken's Spoons that used to be available at sportsman's direct.
jbird68

Offline Badgersbunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Good looking stuff BB. Are those willow blades straight or did you kink them a bit? Were they fish catchers for you?

I was thinking of something similar.
the blades are bent and yes they're perch catchers. Even if theyre not hungry you can get the school feeding. Just gotta tease the small ones. Once they start hitting em and spitting out the bead cuz it's too big for their mouth the big ones move in.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:44 AM »
For these spoons, what rod and reel do you use? They look fairly heavy so I would think you would not be using a spring bobber with them.
jbird68

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Dec 05, 2014, 05:58 PM »
These spoons aren't that heavy. I usually use my ML rod. I've seen guys use slip bobbers with them and do pretty good. Not sure about spring bobbers. You could try it though. Fish spit these spoons out pretty quick so you need to be quick with the hook set.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.