Author Topic: Perch spoons  (Read 15637 times)

Offline troy_built68

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch spoons
« on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:09 AM »
I Live in Southern Michigan and i want to start getting more into perch fishing , I see on you tube everyone seems to be using spoons . Does anyone know which spoons seem to outproduce other spoon and what size & Color . Thanks

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Perch spoons
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Ken spoons are really the only spoons you need for perch, get a variety of them you'll be good.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:40 AM »
I use a lot of tingler spoons and slender spoons.

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:01 AM »
I also use kastmasters and Swedish pimples.  Plus one on the VMC tingler and slender spoons too.

Offline BoonDockin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:23 AM »
1/4 oz pK flutter fish works pretry good to

Offline madman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Slender spoons, tinglers and buskshots.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:51 AM »
I Live in Southern Michigan and i want to start getting more into perch fishing , I see on you tube everyone seems to be using spoons . Does anyone know which spoons seem to outproduce other spoon and what size & Color . Thanks

These work great. They are basicly the popular acme kastmaster spoons in the smaller size for perch.

Plus you get a good selection with quality VMC hooks at a rock bottom price at wally world. They've worked great for perch.

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:39 AM »
I have always been successful with teardrops and a wax worm, or minnow on the end of it.  Any color works, just grab a few different ones.  Last season I decided to pick up some spoons as well.  Went with a few small PK's, but ended up chasing pike all season and did not use them.  I have perch fished all over SW MI and you can't go wrong with a teardrop, but I know a lot of people have success with the PK's.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I have had realy good luck with northland buckshot, and Lindy frostee, usualy the firetiger glo jigs are my go to.

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:08 AM »
The best luck I have with perch using spoons are the smallest PK flutter fish with a hali dropper chain attached, works really well
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Castmaster
Pk spoon
Pk flutterfish
Slender spoon
Hali jig
Any tungsten jig in a 5mm
Any color really I have not found anything to work all the time. Just grab some colors and get some in ther with a gold and silver.
Cloudy or stained Water.. gold or cooper. Bright sunny clear water ..silver
I usually tip with wax worm, late ice you can use bigger spoons and or minnows or minnow heads. They will gorge themselves prior to spawn and get very agressive.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:26 AM »
I use a lot of tingler spoons and slender spoons.

x2

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:58 PM »
we have a lake here that is stunted with small perch.  I found a 3/8 pk flutter fish will keep the smaller ones off the hook.
Don

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Recently attended a meeting of ice fishermen here in NY and one of regulars has gone into the business of manufacturing spoons.  He demonstrated their action in a bucket of water, and..... I have never witnessed such a "fish catching" flutter and action on any lure before.  They are available in several sizes and about 14 colors....each one hand made!!
You can contact BOSS SPOONS at:  845-644-4474  (John Boss)  Leave a message and he'll call you back !! 
Got  nice supply myself..... can't wait for ice to try them out!!

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:59 PM »
I have had realy good luck with northland buckshot, and Lindy frostee, usualy the firetiger glo jigs are my go to.
I've done well with the Lindy Frostees myself. Perch, smelt, and occasional laker which straitens the hooks
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:09 PM »
The Ken's Spoons look pretty interesting.  They say no need to tip them with bait -- how do you fish them?

And where can you find them?

These look interesting too (http://www.mcgathyshooks.com/index.html):

Anybody try these?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Never heard of them.
<===Lefty===

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:39 PM »
I like.  Buck shot rattle spoons and slender spoons

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:41 PM »
The Ken's Spoons look pretty interesting.  They say no need to tip them with bait -- how do you fish them?
(Image removed from quote.)
And where can you find them?

These look interesting too (http://www.mcgathyshooks.com/index.html):
(Image removed from quote.)
Anybody try these?

Wow the rest of the ice fishing world is about 20 years behind us hear on lsc, the Ken spoons are made locally hear on lake st Clair I think the guy lives up in harbor beach, could be wrong but that's I think. The Ken spoons work great bead alone I like to bust it off and put an anis ball on it, or just tip the bead with one spike or a perch eye when I'm a school of big fish. The mcgathy hooks are made by a guy on simcoe there pretty much made for that lake they fish deeper water that's Crystal clean. They get down to the bottom very fast put out a lot of flash to attract fish and do a great job activating fish that are negative. Also try looking up Guster spoons they work the best the swim way outside of your hole and will pull in fish from very far away they basically are only made for catching fish in the 9"-14" range as they are a pretty large spoon. Also catch quite a few walleye on them while perch fishing.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:43 PM »

Before you go buy all the spoons these guys listed remember where they fish is totally different from where you fish. Beaded spoons are the only way to go hear in Michigan.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Thanks for the info, Muskyrush -- I've never fished beaded spoons out here.  So I get the flash and flutter to attract fish, but do strikes come on the flutter/drop or while holding the spoon stationary?  I guess they really target that bead.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Before you go buy all the spoons these guys listed remember where they fish is totally different from where you fish. Beaded spoons are the only way to go here in Michigan.
Very different and very true, Muskyrush.   
Evolution of the Great Lakes, which is more than "vast" , the general flow toward Erie and beyond, the large salmon, the size of their eggs makes a perfect food/snack for perch and others. 

One of my favorite places to observe the flow is the park just down from the Blue Water Bridge.  The black squirrels are an added bonus.       :o

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Thanks for the info, Muskyrush -- I've never fished beaded spoons out here.  So I get the flash and flutter to attract fish, but do strikes come on the flutter/drop or while holding the spoon stationary?  I guess they really target that bead.

Strikes usually come on the drop. When I fish them with the bead I need to set the hook very quickly before the fish can spit it out. They are very productive when on a school of aggressive fish. Easy on easy off spoon back down the hole.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:36 PM »

Depends on the fish some fish will engulf the entire spoon, so hit it while it's fluttering down more will hit after glitters down and is starting to swing back toward the center of the hole. Beaded spoons areas much of an art as they are a productive jumbo producer. Trust me they are an art, I can catch three times as many fish as the guy with the same spoon right next to me, these type of spoons will trigger the bigger fish in schools I can promise you that and you'll keep on a school because you can unhook fish so much faster.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Good info, guys -- any idea where to order the Ken's spoons from?

Lots of choices on the Guster spoons (http://gusterspoons.com)-- bullet, thin, kite, round, etc.  Any recommendations for a set of 4-5 for a beginner?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:25 PM »
try sportsmans direct. I know they carry them in their store.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:34 PM »
I've done well with Phoebe spoons when you need flash and super action. I usually swap out the treble for single hooks though. Anything perch or gold will usually work; I tend to use the 1/16th or 1/8th sizes.

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Before you go buy all the spoons these guys listed remember where they fish is totally different from where you fish. Beaded spoons are the only way to go hear in Michigan.
[/quote

Bead spoons work in NY as well. Mark's spoons are what I use cuz that was the first one I
found when I googled. Bought them from Franks which I believe is in Mich..

I dont see many using them on NY waters but I am a believer. 

Also a huge fan of CJS Slender Spoons in 1/16 and 1/8 for jumbos. The bigger size weeds
out most of the dinks. Tipped with a minnow head or Berkley Honey Worm
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:06 PM »
The most important thing to me when choosing a spoon or jig is how well will I be able to see it on my Vex, 40 ft down. Hali's really show up well, kastmaster and swedish pimple types do not. You have to jig them to get them to flutter and reflect the signal. Either that or you have to crank up your gain and distort the target separation. Genz worms and thick headed stuff really show up well. All will catch fish. Those Ken's spoons look like they will show up well on sonar, because of the bead. Just some deep water stuff to think about.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Trust me you won't be fishing a Ken spoon in 40 feet of water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.