Author Topic: Fight new proposed excise taxes hunting and fishing  (Read 725 times)

Offline mojofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fight new proposed excise taxes hunting and fishing
« on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:40 AM »
Several cash strapped states and local governments are trying to tap into our pockets again via excise taxes. Money collected from us does not necessarily have to be used toward preservation of natural resources. 

Please educate yourself on two excise taxes imposed on every hunter and fisherman in the USA imposed during the first half of the 20th century. Fight and newly imposed excuses to raise your taxes you already pay more than 10% tax on every piece of gear you buy and you don't even know it. PS its also a rare form of double taxation because they are fixed into the purchase price of stuff you buy before you hit the register so you pay sales tax on excise tax.

Dingell-Johnson and the Pittman-Robertson excise taxes hit us all very hard and most of you are probably not aware that they exist. Please educate yourselves and google them. I'd post them here but cannot do it from my mobile device. Use this information to battle any excuse to tax us more.
It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Fight new proposed excise taxes hunting and fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:02 AM »
I have known about the Dingell-Johnson and the Pittman-Robertson for a long time and don't have a problem with them as long as the money goes to our sport. I also know that few of us have money to spare and will keep a watch out on any of the possible new taxes. What really gets my blood pressure up is when I am taxed to build some Stadiums or other incentive to keep a sports team in the state, why don't those that use it have to pay for it, LIKE WE PAY FOR OUR SPORT!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:06 AM »
Sponsored by Senator Key Pittman of Nevada and Congressman A. Willis Robertson of Virginia and signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on Sept. 2, 1937, the Pittman-Robertson Act created a 10% excise tax on sporting arms and ammunition. A few years later the tax became 11%.

Please be aware that this tax was to be repealed but sportsmen insisted on keeping this tax. It was only during the Clinton Administration, evidence surfaced that the sportsman`s conservation trust funds were being mismanaged.

Representative Young held hearings to question the authorities in charge in an effort to correct the system. Thereafter, he introduced the Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Programs Improvement Act of 2000 which precisely re-defines what USFWS can spend the excise taxes on and in what manner the monies can be spent. The NRA backed bill passed the House 423-2 and became law on Nov. 1, 2000.

Today, Pittman-Robertson is back on track, supplying wildlife with vast amounts of habitat, resources and practical ecological study, while supplying hunters with game to hunt and eat, thus ensuring necessary funds never run dry. The National Shooting Sports Foundation estimates that through these special taxes and license fees, America`s sportsmen contribute $3.5 million each day to wildlife conservation.

Not that I agree with taxes...they are only fines for doing well, but I am and have been well aware of this tax for years and gladly pay it.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:08 AM »
ah yes that money also goes to buy lands  and boat ramps trails ect that people that dont pay into use and condem us for wanting to hunt and fish.....
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:21 AM »
So very true. But because other user groups benefit doesn't make it a bad thing. Not that I like it.
At least we continue to have some sort of say in how those lands are managed. Let those other user groups contribute to that fund and I have no doubt we will loose even more because they can and do outnumber us.
How many members are there in the Audubon Society, The Defenders of Wildlife, The World Wildlife Fund, PETA,...? The list goes on and they definitely outnumbers us. At the very least they have more lobbyist and money.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:31 AM »
I have known about the Dingell-Johnson and the Pittman-Robertson for a long time and don't have a problem with them as long as the money goes to our sport. I also know that few of us have money to spare and will keep a watch out on any of the possible new taxes. What really gets my blood pressure up is when I am taxed to build some Stadiums or other incentive to keep a sports team in the state, why don't those that use it have to pay for it, LIKE WE PAY FOR OUR SPORT!

I believe a variety of people and businesses benefit from a sports stadium that don't directly use them. If your area doesn't build one they'll just find one that will and people will just go there to get jobs and spend their money. Now I don't believe in paying extra taxes on anything either but sometimes we don't get to see the big picture until it's too late. Sorry I live in an area where this is a hot topic right now and where we lost a team to a southern state which at the time seems they could of cared less for the sport.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.