Author Topic: ATV ice auger mount for a Polaris  (Read 11442 times)

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV ice auger mount for a Polaris
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:34 AM »
I am looking for a mounting system that will work with my 2011 Polaris 550 X2 (utility bed).  My auger is a newer Jiffy White Lightning.

I don't want to spend more than $100 ideally, but I want that thing secure for traveling through the woods and across not so smooth ice.

Also, the less modifying / hole drilling I have to do on my wheeler the better.

Thanks!!

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ATV ice auger mount for a Polaris
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Do you have the composite racks on your quad?

rickl1968

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Do you have the Lock n Ride system?
If you do you can pick up lock n ride from polaris or Kolpin makes KXP mounts that fit on them too. You can find kolpin mounts on fleaBay for 70 bucks with free shipping.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:58 AM »
I am looking for a mounting system that will work with my 2011 Polaris 550 X2 (utility bed).  My auger is a newer Jiffy White Lightning.

I don't want to spend more than $100 ideally, but I want that thing secure for traveling through the woods and across not so smooth ice.

Also, the less modifying / hole drilling I have to do on my wheeler the better.

Thanks!!

digger auger rack!

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:06 AM »
I love my Mad Dog Auger Rack.  And during hunting season I can even case my gun and fasten it to it.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Here is my wheeler:

Where would those "lock-n-ride" mounts go?  I guess I am not real familiar with them. 

I have been looking at those Kolpin grips that Fleet Farm sells, that seems like a cost effective option.

rickl1968

« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Ahh I see you have the front cargo box already, it uses the lock and ride system. If you have ever taken it off, you will notice the compression fittings that are used to secure it to your machine. These are the lock and ride mounts.
I have not seen the inside of your box on this model, are there holes to use lock n ride accessories?

If not you can use the type that mount to your rear box sides.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:11 PM »
There are no holes in the top of the box that's mounted on the front.  Kind surprising now that you mention it....you would think being a Polaris product they would have those mounts everywhere so you would buy their accesories.

The only holes that I know of accessible as it sits are the 4 holes on the rear rack....1 in each corner.

rickl1968

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:19 PM »
There are no holes in the top of the box that's mounted on the front.  Kind surprising now that you mention it....you would think being a Polaris product they would have those mounts everywhere so you would buy their accesories.

The only holes that I know of accessible as it sits are the 4 holes on the rear rack....1 in each corner.

Have you taken the front cargo box off before?  If not open the lid, in the rear of the box there are two little levers, flip them up, these are the lock n ride mounts. Now you can take your cargo box off and access your battery and coolant. To put it back on you need to put the front end in first and then the two lock n ride mounts will fit back in the rear of the front box.
Now that you have seen the mounts are the holes in the rear dump box the same size?

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Have you taken the front cargo box off before?  If not open the lid, in the rear of the box there are two little levers, flip them up, these are the lock n ride mounts. Now you can take your cargo box off and access your battery and coolant. To put it back on you need to put the front end in first and then the two lock n ride mounts will fit back in the rear of the front box.
Now that you have seen the mounts are the holes in the rear dump box the same size?

I actually took the box off last night because my battery all of sudden was dead and at 7 volts.  I just drove the darn thing 2 weeks ago and it hasn't been that cold out.  So I will be sure to check out those holes tonight before i put that box back on.

It just seems odd that Polaris didn't put more of those holes on the rig....you would have thought they would have went crazy and made it look like block of swiss cheese :)

rickl1968

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:22 PM »
They do if you dont have the accessories, or the dump box.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Do you still have the front rack that came with your machine?  They (or you) had to remove it to install that front box.  If you do, you could get some of the lock n' ride mounts and adapt some sort of auger mount to that front rack.  The front box you have is a lock n' ride accessory.
Maybe you could get one of the Otter Auger Sleeves and adapt it to your machine?
I have two sets of the Kolpin Gear Grips - would not trust them to hold my auger.  They are good for shovels and rakes and hoes and the like IMO.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:39 PM »
Here is my wheeler:
(Image removed from quote.)

Where would those "lock-n-ride" mounts go?  I guess I am not real familiar with them. 

I have been looking at those Kolpin grips that Fleet Farm sells, that seems like a cost effective option.

the only thing i use thoes mounts foris the gun rack which also holds my shovel during the ice season. get the rack that mounts on the box cover and a bunch of different size bungies, i mount a tone of stuff on the front, full size beer cooler of bait with auger on top , 6x12 hub, etc.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:39 PM »
They are good for shovels and rakes and hoes and the like IMO.

That explains my lack of fish last season...I wasn't bringing out my rake and hoe...  ;D   :woot:
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:57 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen a rack that gets mounted to the top of that box on the front.....do you have a link?

rickl1968

« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:20 PM »
I tried to mount the original rack on my cargo box, you would need to drill holes in the cargo box for the four side mounts and fabricate some spacers for the two front mounts, I didn't want to loose the watertightness of the box or make spacers that look crappy either.

rickl1968

« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:22 PM »
I have two sets of the Kolpin Gear Grips - would not trust them to hold my auger.  They are good for shovels and rakes and hoes and the like IMO.
What are you using to mount your auger? Did you buy a better mount?....share, share, please!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:27 PM »
What are you using to mount your auger? Did you buy a better mount?....share, share, please!
My 550 Xp came with the standard front rack (bought a front box from Polaris for the (non- ice fishing months).  Took the front rack and added a piece of 3/4" plywood with a box made from 5/4X8 (on edge on the plywood).  The whole thing is fastened to the front rack and comes off and on as a lock n' ride accessory.  The top edge on the ends of the box are notched for the auger so that the powerhead rests on the plywood deck for support.  Very solid and secure.  I put quite a few accessories in the box; like the hole skimmer, propane bottles, etc.

Offline Master79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Just saw a guy selling a rack on craigs list for $25 out of Webster city   It was on the DES moines craigies page this morning

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.