Author Topic: Going to loose my best icefishing buddy forever heres a couple of pictures of Ja  (Read 12424 times)

Offline Ny Ice Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Going to loose my best icefishing buddy forever
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I'm sorry you have to go through with this. i have a couple time and i know that nobody looks forward to that day. a new puppy will definitely help but wont heal you fully. Best wishes to finding a new beer drinkin, ice fishin buddy.
   JBN.  :-[  :icefish:
Wanakena Ranger School Alumni '13

"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." --Patrick F MacManus

"Work: a dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing"-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Surefishalot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:28 PM »
It's a tough thing to deal with I feel for you all had to put down 2 already, and I'm don't know how I'll be able to handle doing it again . The dog I have now(German Shepard) is the smartest and best dog we ever had.kinda hope I go first. :( :'( :'(
saltwater-freshwater what ever floats your boat!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:33 PM »
Lost my male rottweiler in Sept 2009.(avatar) Lost the use of his rear legs and I had to put him down. Vet came out to the house. Toughest thing I ever had to do. I still expect to see him when I come home and crack the door. Not to be. I feel for ya. They are the best friends you`ll ever have after all is said and done.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:38 PM »
My german shepard is 13 and i know the day is coming for me soon so i can feel your pain man. Im taking her out with me and my buddy this weekend ( he has a german shepard also) and i promise you this at noon the 4 of us are going to have toast to you and yours. some people dont understand how much our dogs mean to us, they are better friends then most humans could ever be.

ps i consider my self to be pretty tuff but that was the hardest thread iv ever read i can tell you that much. :'(

Offline roughice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ahh quiet at last
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Wish there  was something to say or do to make this an easier moment for you.  Take heart in the fact that you were loved and respected by Jasper and that Jasper will be waiting for you when the day comes that you are back together.  Just remember to bring a six-pack and a good stick.  If you'll excuse me, I gotta dry my eyes and blow my nose. So sorry...
Catch and Release...outta the water and into grease ;)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Next to my chair, as I type this, is a collage of pictures with a pencil sketch (by my son) of our departed family pet, Miss Beasley. A good hunting beagle and loved family member. She's gone many years now, I can't replace her. We had to put her to rest with debilitating cancer. As difficult and emotional act as I've had to perform. The vet was kind and understanding. We said our goodbyes while she was alive.

I don't envy you your task, I envy you your memories.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Sorry for your loss I too put our dog down almost 2 yrs ago.  This thread made me cry.  We all feel your pain/   :'( :'( :'(  Patches is next to me on the mantle.   :'(
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Dogs are the best.

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Amen!
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:37 PM »
JJK I would stay Hold Jaspers paw and SAY good bye.  I've been there a few times not easy madpuppy  got me filled up Fishgut got it finished. What is it about dogs that rip your heart out My best advise get a puppy wouldn't replace Jasper but will fill a void. I know the pain ART

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:40 PM »
here is that rainbow bridge poem that was mentioned in the thread before.   it holds hope for me in the fact that when its my time, i will be reunited with all the dogs that ive loved in the past.    especially the one that i lost just recently, a lil beagle puppy, she was my lil lap dog.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:16 PM »
I'm sorry you're going through this.  I had to put my German Shepherd down when she was 13.  She was the best family dog I've ever had -   Intelligent, loyal, protective, but GREAT with kids.  Every child in the neighborhood knew and loved her.  She used to get on the school bus every morning as if checking to make sure it was safe before letting the kids leave.  The day I put her down I cried so hard I couldn't tell the vet why we were there - my Daughter had to do that.  I stayed til the end because I felt I had to be there with her in her last moments - I owed her that much.  I feel for you, but you'll get through it.  The best advice I can offer is don't rush get another dog thinking he/she will be the same.  Dogs like that come around once in a lifetime.   
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Just got my first dog 9 months ago and he is my best friend anywhere i go he is right behind me could not imagine looking back and him not being there sorry it is the end for your dog but with the end its the beggining somewhere else now he will be fishing and camping forever!! :'(
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Have had one dog put down when i was younger that was the hardest she always accompanied me to the creek down by my house. I did have my best friend stolen one time too that was hard too she was a great hunting dog and loved to sit in the canoe and fish with me, someone from out of state offer to buy her form me, I declined went to school come back and she was gone. I feel for ya

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:13 PM »
Just a story and some dog wisdom to help you along your journey:

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old IrishWolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they  were hoping for a miracle. 

I examined Belker and found he was dying.  I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure.  They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him.  Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.  Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully  away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.  We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."  Startled, we all turned to him.  What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?"  The six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply.
Love  generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.  Stop when you have had enough.
Be loyal.  Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

Do me a favor and give Jasper a good rub behind the ears for me and tell him that he has friends in Wisconsin thinking about him.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Well put Icedog
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Man posts like this literally hurt the heart
When I was 19 Years old my old man got sent to 9/11 to assist at ground zero.  I quickly became the man of the house.  We had a purebread german shepard names "Travis".  He was about 120 lbs and had one ear that never stood up straight but was the nicest, best guard dog around with the best tempermant. Make a long story short, I had to put him down while my pops was in NYC.  By far the hardest thing ever.  Balled the whole way to the vet and home.  I couldnt bring myself to stay with him in the room.  I wanted to remember him in his best form and not layign on a table.  He was having 4-5 seizures daily and out family at the time couldnt afford the meds for him.  Still think about that day often......still hurts....
When I hit the hard water this weekend, I will have a swig of Wild Turkey American Honey for you both.  It sucks bro, no reason to sugar coat it........and Im sorry. :tipup:

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:29 PM »
Shedding a tear thinking about the day we had to put our lab down, but also smiling thinking about her and the happiness she brought our family.  I didn't think I could stay with her on that day, but I  did, and  am glad I did.  My wife and I comforted her as her suffering ended and she slipped peacefully away to a better place.  If you choose to stay with him, try to take care of all of your paperwork with the vet ahead of time, this way you minimize your time dealing with people during this difficult time.  So sorry for your loss!!

Offline oneman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:08 AM »
JJK, I am very sorry to hear of your impending loss. Pets become as much of the family as anybody else it seems. They always seem to be there for you. As long as you keep Jasper in your heart he will always be your best ice fishing buddy, and I'm sure you will. I wish you nothing but the best.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:32 AM »
here is that rainbow bridge poem that was mentioned in the thread before.   it holds hope for me in the fact that when its my time, i will be reunited with all the dogs that ive loved in the past.    especially the one that i lost just recently, a lil beagle puppy, she was my lil lap dog.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown
Thank you for the poem..... it was very touching. Cheers   JODY
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:35 AM »
Just a story and some dog wisdom to help you along your journey:

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old IrishWolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they  were hoping for a miracle. 

I examined Belker and found he was dying.  I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure.  They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him.  Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.  Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully  away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.  We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."  Startled, we all turned to him.  What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?"  The six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply.
Love  generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.  Stop when you have had enough.
Be loyal.  Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

Do me a favor and give Jasper a good rub behind the ears for me and tell him that he has friends in Wisconsin thinking about him.
Thank you all and I will give him many scratches behind the ears for you

Offline Got2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In training by lives2fish...
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:55 AM »
JJK, I have just sat here for the past 15 minutes reading through all the posts that have been added , shedding some tears and thinking back through all the pets I have had in my life. It is never easy to help a friend leave this world, yet a true friend would do all they can to make that easier and be there for them. I for one would be with my pet right to the end as I know they would be with me if I am to go first.

I love the way you said you were taking him out on the ice with you and going to treat him like a king for another day, bless you, you are a great person for thinking of him and I am sure that is just where he wants to be, not at home waiting, but out with you living and sharing in your love for one another, the time will come for the tears let now be for the time to make more happy memories. When it is all said and done, and the next out with out him, set your next round of flags for him, let me know and I will to the same for you and say a prayer for you and your friend.

Got2fish

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:03 AM »
JJK, I have just sat here for the past 15 minutes reading through all the posts that have been added , shedding some tears and thinking back through all the pets I have had in my life. It is never easy to help a friend leave this world, yet a true friend would do all they can to make that easier and be there for them. I for one would be with my pet right to the end as I know they would be with me if I am to go first.

I love the way you said you were taking him out on the ice with you and going to treat him like a king for another day, bless you, you are a great person for thinking of him and I am sure that is just where he wants to be, not at home waiting, but out with you living and sharing in your love for one another, the time will come for the tears let now be for the time to make more happy memories. When it is all said and done, and the next out with out him, set your next round of flags for him, let me know and I will to the same for you and say a prayer for you and your friend.

Got2fish

Thank you and I will do this and let everyone know when he leaves......

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:28 AM »
I had to do that to my old pal boots this last spring. She was 18 years old and it was time. I talked to the vet about it and he said: make a list of things Boots use to love to do and then make a list of things that she still can do. That hit home with me because the latest list wasn't even close to the same has her old list. It was still hard to do but the list made it make more sense and made it a bit easier.

Good old boots is on the right. Picture from Dec. of 1998.

Offline jstumbaugh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:29 AM »
I am very sorry for you. I too, have a Black Lab named Jasper that is almost 7. Not much more I can say..... Im sorry.

Offline yakk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:14 AM »
this post is killing me . my brittney is 14 and i'm DREADING that day , i'll keep her with me as long as she's not in any pain . but how do i know if she's hurting . she's had minor injuries in the field that i know were painfull, and never showed it . i want to be there with her when the time comes . i wasn't with my last dog , a springer , and it's bothered me ever since .         dogs  :(

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:46 AM »
this post is killing me . my brittney is 14 and i'm DREADING that day , i'll keep her with me as long as she's not in any pain . but how do i know if she's hurting . she's had minor injuries in the field that i know were painfull, and never showed it . i want to be there with her when the time comes . i wasn't with my last dog , a springer , and it's bothered me ever since .         dogs  :(
AS with Jasper every day things he use to do was very limited,look for signs like slowing down in activities, goes pee alot,blood shot eyes, loosing hair thats all I can tell you but these were the signs Jasper was having. Hoping the best for you

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Been there, done that, JJK.  Part of having had the time to share is having to do the right thing. It's tough to do.   
Know this: there are many more companions waiting to be chosen. Let your self have another one.  They help us live longer, listen to our every word and don't talk back.  My condolences.

The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:27 PM »
listen to our every word and don't talk back.   

At least most don't, mines always lipping off at me and rolls his eyes when he doesn't want to do something I ask him to do.
    ;D

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Was in your shoes a year ago , my lab had kidney failure due to a Lyme complication.  You will never forget him. To top that , you will mostly only remember the good times. Got a new Pup and i constantly call her by the old dogs name.  Hang in there, you will know when it is time, ya just know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.