Author Topic: Anyone use WD-40 on their Walleye Lures?  (Read 15472 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Anyone use WD-40 on their Walleye Lures?
« on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:40 PM »
I just heard about his trick. Has anyone tried it and does it work? Thanks a lot.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anyone use WD-40 on their Walleye Lures?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:41 PM »
Years ago it did work when their formula was fish oil based, todays WD is not the same.

Offline Boonerator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:41 PM »
heard it works for cats  8) :tipup:
BBD

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:43 PM »
Yea, it used to, but it's not the same today.  I remember my grandpa spraying his lures.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Today's WD40 is petroleum based, not fish oil based like years past.  I wouldn't even try it.

-Jeff

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Not this again...every year since 2003 ::)

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:56 PM »
It's alive again
Who's making popcorn ;D
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:04 PM »
To heck with the popcorn...I'm going straight to the bourbon :P
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ihavethetools

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:06 PM »
Tried it a few years back with not much luck. Probably won't try again since they change the formula.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:07 PM »
we used  wd-40  like  starting fluid  in the old  days and it worked , it  doesn't anymore....wonder why  they changed it

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
Wd
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:16 PM »
They should start a section on here and call it the wd40/which flasher should i get section then they can argue there.

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Not this again...every year since 2003 ::)

RG
Don't you just love all of these OUTDOORSMAN using chemicals in our waters? You guys are a joke for even asking!!! You should stay home and fish in your toilets!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:28 PM »
yep boat motor  or power auger never  driped =))...just saying   years ago  we used it  for  starting fluid  and a lot of  guys trolling lake ontario used it  on j plugs and spoons , i also know  perperation h   works on walleyes ...believe it or not!

Offline Boonerator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:32 PM »
yep boat motor  or power auger never  driped =))...just saying   years ago  we used it  for  starting fluid  and a lot of  guys trolling lake ontario used it  on j plugs and spoons , i also know  perperation h   works on walleyes ...believe it or not!

only the ones SNAGGER catches  ;D ::)  :tipup:
BBD

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:35 PM »
i thought that it was totally illegal,besides u dont want to put that stuff into lakes,cmon use your noodle!!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Welcome to ice fishing rush fraternity process.

Next you will be giving a scrap hunt...you will need to collect the following items by following the riddle's and solving the clues.... ;D

Next item on your list is SPAM lunch meats.  Catch two kittys with it and they will meow you to your next clue.

Next item on your list is cool whip.  A pie in the face is the least of your worries, when you're under a hot whip.

Next item on your list is an ice spoon.  Build ten ice volcanoes and sacrifice the above previous items.

Now you have been inducted as IS newest rookies, your status is: Gear Getters.  After two weeks of that, you will be given new status as Sled Slushers.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Wd
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:36 PM »
They should start a section on here and call it the wd40/which flasher should i get section then they can argue there.

More like the ...WD/40, which shanty...which auger....which rod...which boots....fish left on the ice.....which flasher.....fish selling.....garbage on the ice....how close is too close.....stupid snow mobiles...10" holes.....which jig (I actually like that one).....kill all bass......license fee hike....7 day minnow rule.....bait receipt.... I hate NY....I hate the DEC....Will wind chills make the water freeze faster ( the old guys will remember that train)....catch or release.....your fish picture is fake thread.

I'm sure I forgot several...but my memory ain't what it used to be ::)

RG

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:42 PM »
So after 12 beers I shouldn't pee on the ice?????

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:44 PM »
More like the ...WD/40, which shanty...which auger....which rod...which boots....fish left on the ice.....which flasher.....fish selling.....garbage on the ice....how close is too close.....stupid snow mobiles...10" holes.....which jig (I actually like that one).....kill all bass......license fee hike....7 day minnow rule.....bait receipt.... I hate NY....I hate the DEC....Will wind chills make the water freeze faster ( the old guys will remember that train)....catch or release.....your fish picture is fake thread.

RG

ROFLMAO :roflmao:
You forgot: Tell me your secret spots
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:46 PM »

RG

you forgot camera vs flasher!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:48 PM »

we use to use preperation H on our walleye plugs when trolling all of the time.  I am not sure what the exact ratios were but I would be willing to be it was almost 3-1 on the plugs with prep h.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Don't you just love all of these OUTDOORSMAN using chemicals in our waters? You guys are a joke for even asking!!! You should stay home and fish in your toilets!!!
You have to tell us how WD-40 gets in your toilet
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:52 PM »

Don't forget to add the which auger section!! OH... and the refilling the little green bomb section!!!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:54 PM »
Don't forget to add the which auger section!! OH... and the refilling the little green bomb section!!!

Aaaaahhh, the "Refilling the Little Green Bombs".  One of my favorites.  I love posting in that one. 

-Jeff

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Here i thought one of the Walleye's i caught last year had VHS, thanks for clearing that up, i guess all those big red bulging lumps were just hemorrhoids!   ;)

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:56 PM »
You have to tell us how WD-40 gets in your toilet

roger that....

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:15 PM »
we used  wd-40  like  starting fluid  in the old  days and it worked , it  doesn't anymore....wonder why  they changed it

Because people were using it for fishing and not for greasing tools

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:24 PM »
we use to use preperation H on our walleye plugs when trolling all of the time.  I am not sure what the exact ratios were but I would be willing to be it was almost 3-1 on the plugs with prep h.

thats  about the ratio we  got  trolling in oswego harbour! i have no idea  what it is  but it works,never tried it ice fishing but think i will....

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:34 PM »
An older guy i used to work with was telling me one time he thought he grabbed the tube of tooth paste but accidentally grabbed the tube of perperation h instead LOL. He said it is the worst tasting thing imaginable.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:41 PM »
i also know  perperation h   works on walleyes ...believe it or not!

Never seen a walleye with that particular condition; but if you've actually experienced a walleye get the "relief" which this product offers, then I guess I believe ya. :wacko:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.