Author Topic: Wife cutting into fishing time!  (Read 13323 times)

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
Re: Wife cutting into fishing time!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2009, 09:50 PM »
we settled it...she brought it up to me the other nite that we should have a mutual separation, because our lifestyles are very different......sooooo i guess its not an issue anymore.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Don't let her cut into your fishing time!  Do what I do!  Put your foot down and say "I'm going fishing and don't wanna hear any lip about it!"  I've ruled the roost in my house for 26 years and that's the way it's going to stay!
(Hey guys...please don't tell her I said this....it's just between us, OK?)
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:28 AM »
I have been married 10 years and have 3 kids with the youngest being 3 months old today. Finding time to fish is not easy, especially with the young one.  I do take the older children when the ice is thick enough.    I have found fishing nights when the kids are in bed have worked for us if I want to go it alone.  I also just plan short trips ( couple hours here and there) for this year. 

My wife is well aware of my love of fishing and tries her best to let me go, but I also know her sanity will be gone if I do not help.  Seems to working for us and as the children get older, lots of fishing buddies and as the children get older and somewhat easier I get to go more. This has happen with the other children also.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:29 AM »
I suppose that's why I'm 38 and still single ... I like fishing way too much.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:42 AM »
I suppose that's why I'm 38 and still single ... I like fishing way too much.

I've been married almost 43 years, and have 3 grown sons.  If I would have had a man like this take me under his wing, I would have been richer, happier, healthyer man.  A man of true wisdom!

Offline Richard Cr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2009, 12:31 PM »
jkw...

I noticed the town you are from. Do you suppose it had anything to do with her not becoming VP of the USA???? ;)
Really though, I feel for you with the seperation from the daughter. That would be hard to deal with.
Good luck
Hoovering like a fly....waiting for a windshield on the freeway

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 25, 2009, 04:17 PM »
Well fellas.. If i knew that having a wife n kids would take so much time away from my fishing....I woulda just stayed out fishing in the first place! >:D
I had the same problem for about the first 6 years. Now that it's been 10 years she can't wait for me to go. If you are already over 10 years and still having problems,,,You Need Help!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 25, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I told my wife way before we got married that I love to go fishing and hunting that, that is my thing and I don't want to change. She said I understand and I thought I was good to go "not"!  We have been married for some time now so she has lightened up a bit. Just last year however, I was going fishing for the third time for the season and she said: "That is not fair you have your fishing and hunting and I don't have any hobbies" I asked her: "Do you want to go fishing with me?"  She never complained again after that.....

Offline Basskicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:36 AM »
I must be blessed.I know I can be tough to live with,because I fish year around as many days a week as I can.I've been married for 27 years and it hasn't slowed down a bit!! Thank you lord!!!!!!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:42 AM »
I had the same problem for about the first 6 years. Now that it's been 10 years she can't wait for me to go. If you are already over 10 years and still having problems,,,You Need Help!!!

Maybe there is a reason for you getting kicked out for fishing ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
« Reply #40 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:00 AM »
It is pretty easy for me.  I have 2 young daughters.  The older one 5 year old likes to fish during ice season but the younger one is not so sure about the cold.  I dont do a lot of open water fishing but I love hunting and ice fishing.  My wife likes to call herself the "winter Widow" because when winter comes around I am doing what I love and she has to take the girls shopping.   ummmmm wait a second.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 27, 2009, 03:49 PM »
jkw...

I noticed the town you are from. Do you suppose it had anything to do with her not becoming VP of the USA???? ;)

whatcha mean?
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline gillhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 27, 2009, 05:26 PM »
It's called responsibility.
You are responsible in part for the kids too. So you both must share in the rearing of the children. Can you see the wifes view? She has to be there taking care of the kids and putting up with all of the crying and constantly getting things for the kids while you are out on the ice in quiet solitude enjoying every moment.

Your on Bud...there is a balance.  B4 u know it you are empty nesters ( we are).  And hopefully she has picked up the bug, including your kids.  Happy fishing!

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 27, 2009, 06:00 PM »
jkw...

whatcha mean?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? You're from Wisilla, AK

Offline dan in pa

• IceShanty Rookie
My Girl likes it.
« Reply #44 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:35 PM »
My GF goes with me.  She caught the biggest bass last year,  17" bass on a pimple.    She freaked and the lure popped out nose up out of the hole,  and I jammed my arm into the hole, pinned it up against the ice underneath,  and flung it out of the hole and almost hit her with it!  It was my most memorable ice fishing experience. 

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Girl likes it.
« Reply #45 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:19 PM »
My GF goes with me.  She caught the biggest bass last year,  17" bass on a pimple.    She freaked and the lure popped out nose up out of the hole,  and I jammed my arm into the hole, pinned it up against the ice underneath,  and flung it out of the hole and almost hit her with it!  It was my most memorable ice fishing experience. 

I think its a rule that If you gan get your wife or gf to go with you she WILL catch the fish you have been dreaming about all Year.....and not even care :'(
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Funny story: Me and a couple of guys were set up and this guy comes out with his girlfriend/wife (won't get into the fact that we all thought it was his son cuz it looked like another young guy).  They go into the shelter and you start to hear the moaning and groaning escalating to yells.  Funny as hell cuz we all know how the sound carries on ice so this couples fun echoed across the 1000 acre pond we were all fishing on.  Didn't see them get one flag but I'm sure they had a good day no matter what.

Offline Overly Hackled

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:06 PM »
I use to HATE my X wife's divorce attorney. Now I send him a Christmas card with a photo of me ice fishing and I  light a freaking candle for him at church !! ;D
Your Pal >>>>>>>> Overly Hackled

"Sic Vis Pacum,Para Bellum"

If You Want Peace,Prepare For War"......

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:13 PM »
My wife considers herself a widow during hunting season and ice fishing, my 16 year old daughter likes to ice fish, my 15 year old son loves to hunt, and my 10 year old daughter likes to fish open water for gills. If my wife my wife wants to talk, all she has to do is call my cell. 
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 31, 2009, 01:50 AM »
I use to HATE my X wife's divorce attorney. Now I send him a Christmas card with a photo of me ice fishing and I  light a freaking candle for him at church !! ;D
;D ;D ;D :clap: ;D ;D ;D :clap: ;D ;D ;D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2010, 03:07 AM »
Bwa ha ha. The wife started working days so now I fish @ night >:D

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:03 AM »
well i hate to say it but there has only been a few times
that my fiance has gave me a hard time about going fishing.
she knows its my passion and something i love to do.
and yes i am a lucky man.

(my fiance)  Your time will come!!!! ;been married 35 years mine says" why aren't you fishing today"!!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline neubal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:33 AM »
(my fiance)  Your time will come!!!! ;been married 35 years mine says" why aren't you fishing today"!!
My x of 20 yrs. used to go with me all the time! But now,since we r separated,my new girl say's(spring,summer,and fall)I would swear u have a girlfriend out there!So I started to bring fish home to clean ::) ::) ::) ::)Stopped the ???Then came the ICE!Well with winter,she's not the cold weather type,came alot of time together :o :oNOW I HEAR ARE'NT U GOING ICE FISHING ???Now all is good!When in doubt whip out the  :tipup:and ask em if they want to go!Got to go ICE ON.

Offline jdenmanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:58 AM »
I have been married 13 now and some days I just want to throw in the towel and stay fishin.She reads me the riot for wanting to go  and not spend any time with her but she wants me to go to her mothers to do it.I am not sure what to do, I just wanna ice fish, she knew it was my love before we got married and after 10 years she started b***hin bout it.It is getting worse with time. I feel like I can't win.Some days I want to steer her toward thin ice.
Will it get better?

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Man. I'm probably the worst person to give advice. At one time I could relate to your exact situation now. I'm divorced now. Now I can say lol. I don't hit the open water like I do the ice. My time was all hers during MOST of year. I don't hunt. Don't drink and never had much of a gambling habit. But she seriously came between me and my FIRST passion. I told her it existed long before her and will exist long after. I left her when that Brad Paisley tune was at the top of the country charts. I walked out the door singing "Oh, I'm gonna miss her...lookie there...I gotta biiiiiiite. I'm not saying I should be proud. Divorce sucks no matter what the situation but I can say I wish I had done it sooner.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:03 AM »
When your young they can't get it,that you want to fish,but after 25 plus years their begging you to go.Hang in their it will get better.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:18 AM »
For the record. Heed captain54's word of advice. I just couldn't hack it. Lol
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:34 AM »
I tell my wife when she starts to complaining that she is absoulutely right and i have in fact been spending a bit of time fishing. Then i ask her if i should find a new hobby like drinking and whoring. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:12 AM »
 winter is my vacation they hitched up knowing what you were doing before so it should not be a big deal !!!!! once in a great while my gal might ask me to do a little something remember it is a 2 way street and I have no problem with that , and she does go from time to time , you could be out chasing skrits and drunk all the time !!!   

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:24 AM »
You have to start training them right of the bat.  In early october start dragging in leaves and some dirt, so when hunting season comes she will be glad to see you go and not come back for a while. Same for fishing, Leave bait in the refigerater and some fish scales in the sink. One time i had some leaches in a soda bottle in the refer and that really worked.  I am lucky, i have a cabin in the poconos and have a place to escape to.  with out that I would not have made it.  (this works for my buddys as well)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.