Author Topic: Laser blades  (Read 848 times)

Offline Stickjiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
Laser blades
« on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:08 AM »
Has anyone had any luck sharpening 8" Laser blades?
Any tips, tricks?
It is kind of spendy  buying new ones when needed.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Laser blades
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Hard to do ..there are some posts/threads from members with some pointers/success  . Did you do a SEARCH ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:58 AM »
I use a 8in sisle buffing wheel with black compound . Make sure you use the aisle wheel. It will take the burr off and make like new

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:40 PM »
If you are good with sharpening tools, its as easy as following the bevel and curve of the blade. You cant use a basic knife sharpener, and you cant just run it across a stone. Fish307 does blade sharpening for like $15. I send mine to them and they always come backs sharper than new.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:15 AM »
Get used to it, you’ll be buying lots of them.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2020, 07:44 AM »
Has anyone had any luck sharpening 8" Laser blades?
Any tips, tricks?
It is kind of spendy  buying new ones when needed.

How often do you go through blades? How dirty is the ice you’re drilling through? My 8 year old 8” Lazer still has the original blades on it and it still cuts great. If you’re going through blades that quickly, I’d buy a replacement set or two and send the old set in to get resharpened then keep switching out sets and having them sharpened when they dull. Some shops do a trade-ins. You give them your dull blades and they sell you resharpened blades at a cheaper price than new. When my uncle had his shop he would do that and his resharpened blades were only like $20 for Lazers.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2020, 09:33 AM »
Any blade you can remove can be sharpened pretty easily. Just remember never to touch the side that goes towards the ice. Lay the other side on your sharpener, lift slightly, and work it back and forth. I don't even remove the burr. I have used a WorkSharp, and paper wheels I got off EBAY, and both work fine.

I also wonder how this got to be such a big problem. I don't even do it every year, and drill hundreds of holes, maybe close to 1000. You don't drop it on the ice like the guy in the SUV commercial do you? Wha tI do will not fix a broken or dented edge- just return the edge to razor sharpness.

:tipup:

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Get used to it, you’ll be buying lots of them.
Unless you have dirty ice, If you take care to not hit the blades you should get several season out of a set before noticing any issues. I bought my “spare” blades when they went on sale at end of season. I have a local shop that sharpens auger blades (all but nills) and I usually have him do a set if I need, and use the other set in the mean time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.