Author Topic: Don't forget, shop at them bait shops  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Don't forget, shop at them bait shops
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:31 PM »
I'm the worst when it comes to ordering online and pinching pennies. Stopped in butches and bass lake bait shops over the last few days and spent some money. Guy at bass lake is really trying to have a good shop and I hope he makes it. We can save a few bucks but we could also wake up one day and have no shops on the way to our fishing holes and that would suck.

Offline markum

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Don't forget, shop at them bait shops
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:04 PM »
It's already happened! And we are the reason why this has occurred. To much on line ordering to much to the giant corporate "bigboxified" retailers. I remember 15 - 20 years ago great shops flourishing all over. This is no longer the case :(

Offline Richwon4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:47 PM »
We have one place in our County to get minnows.  Kellys is a great well stocked shop. 

Offline dfman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:47 PM »
How is the ice on bass?

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:12 PM »
How is the ice on bass?

Bait shop owner said his kids were out and found everywhere to be 5-7 inches. I drove around the lake and only seen 1 guy out which was weird.

vanillaice

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:32 AM »
I agree, while i enjoy saving a buck as much as the next man with a family, its also IMPORTANT to remember that bait shop owners have families too.  Unless Tackle Warehouse has a sale or my wife has points on our BPS credit card, i go to the local guys for my needs.  i just got a Hummingbird Helix 5 yesterday from a local shop and with what i would have spent "online" for shipping, i came out just as good. 

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:39 AM »
I agree i try and support local as much as possible.  Its just hard to beat the convenience of ordering online and having it show up at your front door.  When i drop into the local shops for bait i always try and at least buy a few lures.

Offline xtrymefire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:39 AM »
We have one place in our County to get minnows.  Kellys is a great well stocked shop.

Me and my fishing buddy's stop here fairly often throughout the year and usually once or twice a week durring ice season. Bonnie knows us by name and always has great stories to share. It's a great place with a good selection of stuff. She will also try to get you something in if you're looking for something in particular.
A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins.

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:55 AM »
I live in Logansport and Chuck's is my baitshop.  He also lives down the road from me about 20 houses down.  He ALWAYS has beemoths and all the other baits, but minnows are hard to come by this time of year.  He's also selling to other baitshops.  Just how good a business he has.  I made the mistake of trying another baitshop yesterday and they didn't have beemoths.  I guess they need to get in touch with Chuck.  Also, Chuck's prices are better than some of the other baitshops.  Just saying. 

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Slez's in lake of the 4 stations always has great bait. He has alot of fancy iceflys too. Support your local shops, im sure they appreciate it. They also have the scoop on conditions in the area.   :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.