Author Topic: 8 inch auger  (Read 959 times)

Offline armentroutlucas

• IceShanty Rookie
8 inch auger
« on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:05 PM »
So my wife got me a new 8 inch ht polar auger for Christmas. Took it out today to try it at the Izaak Walton in Peru and it takes forever to get started. I’ve only used 6 inch until now and had no trouble. Why does it take so long to get started. Normal? Need to sharpen brand new blades? What’s the deal guys? I no there’s a ton of you with more experience than me, any ideas?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: 8 inch auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:07 PM »
Maybe Chinese blades? Sometimes there are shims that come with blades, when put under blades it changes the angle to get a different bite, some need them some don’t. Can make them out of a pop can also. Don’t know much about that brand of auger though

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Just for prospective, I have an 8 inch laser with swedish blades and it is a royal PITA to drill a hole with that auger by hand. The reason you are having so much trouble, is youre chewing through at least half more ice than a 6in. My mathematical calculations may be off a bit but the higher in diameter the harder to start/drill a hole. Also, are they straight or curved blades? Shavers require more energy than lazer type augers.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Check the blades...as stated earlier, Chinese are junk!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Richwon4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:34 PM »
I shimmed the blades on my old 7" mora and it cuts like a champ.  You are in a hard position my friend. 

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:21 PM »
Just for prospective, I have an 8 inch laser with swedish blades and it is a royal PITA to drill a hole with that auger by hand. The reason you are having so much trouble, is youre chewing through at least half more ice than a 6in. My mathematical calculations may be off a bit but the higher in diameter the harder to start/drill a hole. Also, are they straight or curved blades? Shavers require more energy than lazer type augers.
Actually, it’s more than 75% more area.  3.14 x 6 x 6 = 113.  3.14 x 8 x 8= 201.  201/113 = 1.77 (All calculations rounded).  So running an 8 inch is like running a 6 and a 5 simultaneously.  That’s a lot more work.

Offline thundercat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:08 PM »
3.14 times the radius squared not the diameter squared

3.14 x 3 x 3

3.14 x 4 x 4

to make it easy eliminate 3.14 to obtain ratio   9 versus 16 = about 44% more surface area when drilling an 8 inch versus a 6 inch

Bruce

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:21 PM »
*#/&;&)&)$;(3, I’m an idiot.  You’re exactly right, forgot to divide by 2 before squaring.  I would kill my children if they made such a silly mistake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.