Author Topic: Spring bobbers  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Spring bobbers
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:46 AM »
You don't want your spring straight out, it is easier to see a bite, but want it tipped down a little, and with your cadence you will be able to tell if somethings "fishy"!!

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2014, 06:28 AM »
I have the frabills too. Nice for lighter baits even some tungsten baits. Spoons are too heavy though.  I have used them just pulled the spring almost all the way back.

Brickers custom rods had a seminar on this at the PTO get together.  Great info. He had a couple of his custom rods and the spring was angled up. I think he said make sure you load your spring 50% with your jig. So if you have a light jig use a small split shot. Correct me if I am saying it wrong.

You are correct springs need to be under load from your jig or by adding weight. If not when the fish fly up off the bottom on the attack and inhales the jig your spring will remain straight until the fish turns and goes back down. By the time that happens it's usually too late and the fish has spit the jig out. If the spring was under load though the upward bite would have been detected as the spring would of straightened out. 45 to 50 degree range is ideal for a correctly loaded spring.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:18 AM »
Let's say you're using a lightweight fly. You need to add weight to get your offering down there and load the spring bobber. So you crimp on some tiny lead about 24" above the fly. When you drop down the weight goes down first, being heaviest, and the fly settles slowly beneath it. You're ready to fish.

On an uptake bite, the fish has 24" of  upward movement before he lifts the weight, which in turn lifts the spring bobber, signaling the bite. That seems like plenty of time for the fish to reject your offering, before you even knew he was there. Then, if he holds onto your bait, you have a big  "V" under the ice, with the lower part of the V being the added weight, and one upper leg representing the line to your rod, and the other upright ending at your jig in the fish's mouth....When you do see the bite and set the hook, you have to raise 24" of line and weight before you can drive the jig home into the fish's mouth.

You could move the weight closer to the jig, but then a fish might feel the added resistance of the lead and reject your bait....

I love a small bait, but I despise adding additional weight to my rig.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Just saying,I was sight fishing in 7 fow with weeds to 5 fow ,watching the Vex,the spring and the jig below the ice (it's tough to do,you need 3 eyes lol) but you can not believe the amount of big gills and slab crappie that inhale and blow out your jig WITH NO SPRING MOVEMENT AT ALL.

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:36 AM »
Just saying,I was sight fishing in 7 fow with weeds to 5 fow ,watching the Vex,the spring and the jig below the ice (it's tough to do,you need 3 eyes lol) but you can not believe the amount of big gills and slab crappie that inhale and blow out your jig WITH NO SPRING MOVEMENT AT ALL.

Had this Saturday.   The few I did catch I just set the hook when the jig turned red on the flasher.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:37 AM »

This is true no matter what spring you are using..and deeper you are fishing the more it happens even to the line watchers due to the 'drag' of the water on the line.  The lighter the line the better, but sight fishing will give you an idea of how sneaky they can be down there!!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Wax,your right on about sight fishing.If a panfish guy has a chance to do it,it's a great learning lesson. I've been doing for several years in the right lakes(clarity) and fishing shallow. My go to lake is gin clear and I have seen my jig to 13 fow,the fish have taught me well,all the toys (machines) are great but on tough days that sight fishing can drive you nuts,very frustrating,when the big crappies inhale water but not your jig,almost like their tasting it but not eating.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:47 AM »
A buddy fishes a fly, no weight and does very well, takes a little longer to get down but he says its worth it.  They also like the slow drop!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Seen big crappie suck the bait in and exhale so fast you cant set the hook!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Seen big crappie suck the bait in and exhale so fast you cant set the hook!

When sight fishing, set the hook the moment you see the gills flare or you will be way to late most of the time on crappie.  It seems like it is too early, but it works.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Have to give it a try next time sight fishing!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:16 AM »
When sight fishing, set the hook the moment you see the gills flare or you will be way to late most of the time on crappie.  It seems like it is too early, but it works.
[/quote]Agree, Bass are the same too. Its is funny watching them just trying to gobble up a jig and they are no where close to it. I used to fish channels that were 4ft deep and I used to love sight fishing from the hole but man was it hard on the back. You do learn a lot from doing this.
Gator Nation

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Sight fishing is hard on the back and neck. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's bad for my health all the way around....I get so into it that I forget to breathe. Factor in all of the stress incurred from watching a big gill slowly approach your bait as you do everything in your power to keep him enticed, only to have him sip and spit in a fraction of a second, and the stress is just too much. ;D

Offline smokey1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Was sight fishing once on Palestine Lake in about four feet of water, I could watch the fish swim up to my bait and back off, finally realized that they could see me, so every time I would see one approach my bait I would lean way back and watch my spring and sure enough I would get a bite. It was so much fun.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Just love to sight fish. If the water is a bit deep to see the jig, I zoom in the aqua view with the same results. In water under 8 feet I always used the vexilar which I thought was my #1 fishing tool. Anymore, I find myself using the camera more. I will be fishing in deeper water this weekend, and the vexilar will be my new best buddy. LOL

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2014, 03:35 PM »
HI Gang!
  I use a fiberglass pink  4" spring bobber.  Get them from sportsman direct.  They work good as long as you superglue them to the metal shaft of your last eyelet.  Or my st croix. spring bobber I switch the springs out when going to a heavier lure.  They make three different weights.  The rest I dont use cause there are to many drawbacks and there not adjustable enough.
  Just my 2 cents worth.
 Da-Roc

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #46 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:37 PM »
I love to site fish! - problem is , its hard to take notes when you're catching fish, you need to train yourself, use your vex while you r site fishing and pay close attention to both, otherwise you'll get spoiled and lose your effectiveness , the spring bobber has its place but mostly just for the night bite for me. Two things r needed for me that r very important, 1. A sensitive rod that you must be able to feel the weight of the jig, you will either feel the bite(tug) and set the hook or you all of a sudden lose the weight of the jig and that also means to immediately set the hook! 2. Watch your line! if I'm fishing a fly and I can't site fish it I still won't put a splitshot on it
because a crappie will suck it in or pick it up(not pull it down) and to me that split shot handicaps me, so even though it will take longer for the fly to sink I'll go with a bare fly and pay close attention to my vex AND MY LINE! and when crappie suck it in your line will have an amazing affect also if you pay attention,- some guys will always use a spring bobber , I mostly use mine only after dark with a headlamp for crappie, but I know some really great spring bobber men and they do work, just what you get used to

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.