Author Topic: Jig rod suggestions  (Read 37344 times)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jig rod suggestions
« Reply #90 on: Dec 01, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Yup, very likely going to be the same thing.  I picked up a Cysco today and noticed that it has the optimax reel but the ice blues have the intrigue reel at the store also.  The rods look nice at least.  Definitely more sensitive than others in the combo racks.  I've been tapping racks and shaking poles like a crazy person everytime I go in the store. 

Heh, you sound like me in the fishing aisle. I think the Wal Mart dude in sporting goods thinks Im slightly insane....

The Optimax might actually have some use in it, it seems a little more functional than the Intrigue. I put mine on my Frabill Amplifier and I'll use it as a spare combo. The Intrigue will go in my "fishing junk bin for misfit toys". LOL

Hope you do well with your new stuff, especially the Cysco. I bet that rod is going to be great for pannies/perch, and I cant wait to experiment with mine.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:11 PM »
All righty, I got some new stuff to try this winter and Im almost ready to hit the ice.

New Rods..
25" Fenwick Elite Tech UL with Pfleuger 6720
26" HT Cysco UL with Pflueger 6720
24" HT Ice Blue L with Accucast 104
25" Berkley Hot Ice M with Berkley reel (nice limber glass blank, reel is questionable)
18" HT Shanty Stix L with Shimano AXUL reel (shorty for inside jigging and reel likes it warmer)
22" Frabill Enticer UL with Frabill reel (glass rod and shorter for inside, reel is questionable)

Added to my already existing......
27" HT Polarlite L/M with Accucast 104
27" South Bend Alpine L with Accucast 104
26" Frabill Amplifier L with Mitchell Spidermite reel
28" HT Arctic Bay QX L with Accucast 104
27" Rhino Indestructable M with Genz Powerstick reel

I also built a jigging sled to use out on the ice, and to store up to 16 rod combos inside.

I got some more ASSO floro (3lb) and HT ice mono (2.9lb) too, plus some jigging spoons and such. Pimples and Frostees mostly, so I can branch out from micro plastics.

CANT WAIT!!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline icebrad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:46 PM »
like your sled!!!   ;D    are the rod holders, swim noodles??? ive been eyeing up the HT ice blue rods for me and my dad,  he likes a thin flimsy rod for his gills

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:55 PM »
like your sled!!!   ;D    are the rod holders, swim noodles??? ive been eyeing up the HT ice blue rods for me and my dad,  he likes a thin flimsy rod for his gills

Thanks Brad, and yeah I sacrificed one of wifeys pool noodles. LOL Works superb to stick the handles in, and are zip tied on.

The HT Ice Blues are quite flimsy, as is the HT Cysco. (with bigger/better eyes) Cant go wrong with either one in my opinion.

Offline jpirate56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:55 PM »
The new fenwick 25 inch ultralight looks nice. Anyone use these yet?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:01 PM »
The new fenwick 25 inch ultralight looks nice. Anyone use these yet?

Used mine today and LOVED it.

Im going to use it for my Fiskas tungsten rod, it sems to be able to take slightly heavier jigs.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Jigging sled trials

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Jan 13, 2012, 12:08 PM »
An update to my journey.

The jigging sled has been working amazingly well. The seat is the perfect height and firmness (originally I thought it was too stiff), and keeps my buns warm. The foam rubber blocks inside the box keep the rods pretty well kept with few tangles, but I may glue the bottoms in place. Possibly slice into the foam to hold the rods better too. The Wally World drink holders cracked in the cold though, so those need to be redesigned/replaced with something better like a good one for a bike. Im still looking around for some tiny blue bungee cord so I can strap 2 traps and my skimmer on the sides too. Next season I will add brackets to hold a hand auger that I will get. That way I can fish a day just by bringing this sled, as everything I would need will be right there on/in this unit for a day of med/light fishing.

The 25" Berkley Hot Ice M has been proving itself worthy of purchase. Caught a bunch of perch on it, but it could handle more. Its pretty sensitive with just enough meat. The sliding reel seats were too loose and the reel fell off, so I put a wrap of electrical tape on first. They fit snug now. Going to try some Frostee spoons on it this weekend because the 5 of diamonds worked superb on it. The reel that came on it hasnt let me down outside, so I guess it can stick around for this season. I may throw a Pflueger Trion on it for next winter though.

The 25" Fenwick  Elite UL is a dream rod. Simply perfect feel with the Fiskas 5mm. I noticed the handle material is always cold outside though, so I use a fingerless glove. The President reel balances out the heavy tip section good. Need to get into more (bigger) fish with it to really give it a good review.

The 26" HT Cysco UL is freakin awesome! GET ONE if you like the Ice Blues. Finesse micro plastic with ease and feel everything. Im getting more of these, but they are a tad long for in the mini shack, in the 4x8 it is fine.

The 24" HT Ice Blue has been skunked so far...... Damn Genz Bugs!!

The 18" HT Shanty Stix is an average rod that does things average. Decent feel, but good backbone to tangle with some fattys. Great size for in the shack though, so Im going to look for some other short rods this summer. The Shimano AXUL is on its last legs I think, as its 25 years old and has seen too much abuse.

The 22" Frabill Enticer UL has held its own with Fiskas 5mm jigs due to its stiffer feel. Still experimenting with this one...  Possibly a light spoon rod? Great length for inside though. The reel is complete junk.... I put an Accucast 104 on it and its good to go.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:06 PM »
New update...

Well the Ice Blue has been producing finally! Took the damn Genz Bug off and tied on a glow white Ratso and BINGO!! Hell of a good feel with this rod. Almost too light though, because I dont even notice/feel the bite a lot of times. The fish is just "on" and its off to the races. I guess this would be a rod to watch the tip section more than going by feel. Learning more every trip out...

Iced a barely legal 14" brownie on the Frabill Enticer while jigging perch, and boy oh boy was it fun. 5mm Fiskas work very well on this rod and it has good backbone for those stronger fighters. The reel seats seem to be getting looser though, so I may need to get the tape out again.

The Fenwick and Pflueger combination is a perfect fit, and has been performing superb.

Ive decided I want to try some 6mm Fiskas to see where they can fit into the lineup.

I cant say enough about Trilene Micro Ice, its been holding up to some serious abuse. I like the 2lb better than the 3lb though.

The HT Accucast 104 reels have had no issues of any kind into their second season. These reels are an excellent buy and anyone looking for a good reel for under $20 should try one. Im definitely getting more of them, probably the 106 next.

Also, I need a few more rods for next winter.....Heh.   Some short ones in the 18-22 inch range, any suggestions? Im already going to get an 18" Ice Blue, but need some more choices.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:32 PM »
frabill 27"quicktip has been my go to rod this year.  Awesome for gills and crappie.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:52 PM »
frabill 27"quicktip has been my go to rod this year.  Awesome for gills and crappie.

Is that the Ice Hunter or the Bro series quick tip?

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:32 PM »
Bro series, I have one with the straightline reel and another with a reg reel. Sportsmans guide had the best deal.  No more need for springbobbers which I never liked.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:40 PM »
Ok, thanks Mpike.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Jan 30, 2012, 07:35 AM »
For the 18-22" range, maybe look at the 22" Ice Hunter Quick Tip or the 17" Jason Mitchell rod, I have been looking at getting one for sightfishing.

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 30, 2012, 07:40 AM »
For the 18-22" range, maybe look at the 22" Ice Hunter Quick Tip or the 17" Jason Mitchell rod, I have been looking at getting one for sightfishing.

I picked up an 18" bro rod for sight fishing and I love it! It was always akward using longer rods sight fishing. Next year I'll be buying some more small rods for in the shanty.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 30, 2012, 07:41 AM »
if you can't find a brand name one you like, you can make a custom rod in an hour or so. JannsNetcraft.com  and other tackle sites have all the parts.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Jan 30, 2012, 07:49 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion Sinx, Im looking into them.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 30, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Ugggghhh... I broke the tip on my 28" HT Arctic Bay QX today......

Now its a 25". DAMMIT!!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Found some white perch with the Fenwick/Pflueger combo using a 5mm glow pink/white Fiskas jig. (nearly tore the pink tail off on this one)

Im getting the hang of this!

No meat used yet in nearly 2 seasons, just plastic tails.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Found some crappie, they were hitting a green ice pimple with a yellow blade.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Found some fallfish today. They were hitting the glow joe 5mm Fiska with a pink tail,  using the 18" Shanti Stix and Shimano UL reel with HT 2.9lb ice mono.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:46 PM »
I picked up a few new rods recently, and like them overall.

Got the Ice Blue in 18" length, and its good for in the shack. The tip section isnt as noodly as my 24", which makes it easier for me to feel bites. I put an Accucast 104 on it, but it needs a way lighter reel to balance out right and a short reel foot. Possibly a Shimano UL.

Also got a 24" Frabill Fin-S UL combo. (graphite blank) Not real sure about this rod yet because I havent had it long, but the reel is pretty good that came on it. Im not fond of how the rod flexes though.... Took the spring bobber tip off too.

Lastly, I got a 24" Berkley CE UL combo. (fiberglass blank) The reel is nothing great, but this rod is one of the BEST feeling/reacting rods Ive jigged with. I love this thing. Gotta put a good reel on it for next season though. Caught a late day brookie on it today too!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Mar 15, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Ok time for a near end of season report.

Ive jigged this winter looking to get more in depth info on my gear and presentation 1st and foremost, and figured the fish would come eventually. And they did. I jigged up crappie, white perch, brook trout, yellow perch, fallfish, brown trout and pickerel.

I learned a bunch of stuff in my "sophomore year", and also started leaning more to jigging for brown trout in the latter half of the season. They are a great fish to land on a jig rod, and take some searching and effort to get. I like that. I found that they like yellow/chartreuse colors, and will bite on smaller profile jigs such as a 5mm Fiska. They did hit pink on occasion too though. I caught them near bottom in 24 feet of water early on in mid January, and noticed they moved shallower and higher in the water column later in Feb/March. I will probably devote a bunch of next winter on chasing browns.

I also got more used to "line watching" while using the Ice Blue, Cysco and Polarlite. Not easy outside in the wind, but I got the hang of it in the shack.

Some of my rods got different line and reels, to find better end results. I cant say enough about 2 and 3lb Asso Ice Heavy in brown color. Its my favorite line so far. Berkley Micro Ice in 2 and 3lb test is another superb line that takes a ton of abuse.
 As usual, I found the HT Accucast 104/106 reels to be worth their weight in gold. I think these reels out perform the Pflueger Presidents I own, at least in the drag department. They are a little lighter too.

The gear and my thoughts...

25" Fenwick Elite Tech UL with Pfleuger 6720 - Gave this rig some 3lb test Asso Ice Heavy in brown, and wow what a killer perch/crappie/brookie rig it is. Insane good setup that will need no further tweaking

26" HT Cysco UL with Pflueger 6720 - The Pflueger reel is too heavy for this rod, gotta get this one figured out over the summer because the rod is awesome. I will keep using the 2lb Micro Ice on this rod though.

24" HT Ice Blue L with Accucast 104 - Perfect setup for the lightest of jigs, and the 2lb Micro Ice will stay.

25" Berkley Hot Ice M with Berkley reel - This rod needs a good reel, possibly a Tica Cetus SS/SB/SE if I can snag one. The rod is multi-use, and can handle bigger spoons and bigger fish with ease without giving up sensitivity. Havent got a line decided yet fot this rig. Could take the weight of the Pflueger 6720 I swap off the Cysco with ease though, so Im leaning towards that.

18" HT Shanty Stix L with Shimano AXUL reel - Good enough as is with 2.9lb test HT mono. Great in the shack for multi uses. The reel is over 20 years old now, so it makes some odd noises at times. Could use a good cleanout and fresh lube to prolong its life a little.

22" Frabill Enticer UL with Accucast 104 reel - Perfect as is with 3lb test Micro Ice for in the shack. This rig can stand up to heavy brownie action too.

27" HT Polarlite L/M with Accucast 104 - Lightest tip Ive ever felt, and great rig for micro light ice flies on 2lb Asso Ice Heavy brown. Will stay as is.

27" South Bend Alpine L with Accucast 104 - GREAT rod and GREAT rig spooled with black 2lb  Sunline Ice mono. I may re-spool with slightly heavier pound test of a different line maker, because I think the light Sunline would work better on the Berkley CE.

26" Frabill Amplifier L with Mitchell Spidermite reel - Dunno on this one... the Mitchell reel is not good for ice fishing, but I may try it one more year with different line. I really dont care for the aluminum tube handle. This rod would be best used as a pimple or spoon rod in my opinion.

28" HT Arctic Bay QX L with Accucast 104 - Broke the tip off in the lid of my rod case.... Pretty much useless now except for a spare rod. Will take the reel off and put on the Berkley CE. Maybe the Berkley Hot Ice....

27" Rhino Indestructable M with Genz Powerstick reel - Uhhhh the Powerstick reel ruins this rig. Gotta get a Pflueger Trion for this rod, and will continue to use the rig with the 6lb Berkley Ice Fused for toothy critters.

18" HT Ice Blue L with Accucast 104 reel - Needs a lighter reel, possibly swap one of the junky plastic Berkley reels to it for now till I locate something better. Great rod for in the shack with multiple uses due to its slightly stiffer action than my 24" Ice Blue. Seems shorter than 18" in the hand though.

24" Berkley CE UL with Berkley reel - Insanely good rod, and easily one of my favorites. Superb feel and action, and is light enough to go small on jigs if needed. Needs a good reel and the 2lb Sunline Ice mono. Could land bigger/hard fighting fish if needed. Im impressed with the Berkley rods as a whole.

24" Frabill Fin-S UL with Frabill reel - The rig is good, and the reel is good, but I just havent found a handle on the action yet. The tip section is stiff and doesnt flex much at all, but the back half of the blank has the flex. Odd.... Maybe because it needs the spring bobber tip on?  Needs better line though regardless, possibly try something new on this.

The jigging sled has been a huge asset to my efforts this winter.

So comfortable to sit on for hours at a time, Im glad I didnt re-do the seat with softer foam. My drink holders shattered with impact to the tailgate in the back of the truck, so those will have to be replaced with better ones. Also the fatter rod handles seem to be effecting the tightness of the pool noodle zip ties as I jam the rod handle in there. Gotta snug up the ties a bit and be aware of what rod Im holding as I put it in the holder. Id like to redesign the inside foam to hold the rods in place better though, they move around too much for my liking.

What I want for next season....

A Tica Cetus reel. Ive been looking at these for a long time, and heard good things about them too. I want one!

A Pflueger Trion reel to swap onto the Rhino.

One more short rod for the shack. Im leaning towards a 20" Meatstick, which should let me expand my approach inside the warm shack. A Quick Tip would be my 2nd choice.

Another brand of line to try, gotta keep testing the limits of whats out there. Going to pick up some Stren Magnathin 4lb to go on the Amplifier at the very least.

I need my own camera so I dont need to ask wifey to use hers every trip...

A med/heavy rod for bigger game, to go with my Rhino.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Apr 07, 2012, 11:16 AM »
More thoughts....

Toward the end of the season I made a real effort to move/search more, thus drilling more holes. I wouldnt call my approach "ice trolling" really, because I dont cover a ton of ice and I dont move the hardside once set up. I would call it more of a "search & destroy" approach that fans out around my hardside in a 300ft radius. Doing this I located much more white perch/crappie/brownies as they shifted around. I found depth to be a much bigger variable in locating fish than distance though, as I set up on structure 80% of the time and the fish were usually there. Just had to find the depth they were hanging out at.

I paid more attention to my knot positioning too, and got used to how the knot effected the jigs action. I used mostly a horizontal presentation and found it to be my favorite approach. I liked that I could alter the presentation from there much more than a vertical presentation. Moving the knot a smidge would give me a few different actions under the ice, and that was sometimes all that was needed to get bit.

Vertical presentation... I will spend a little more time on next season, just to get more feedback and grow my approach more. Ive got a few different jigs for this, but probably not enough to experiment to a great extent. I like the swedish pimple, and figured out a couple things about presenting it. I only have a couple color patterns, so I will have to get a couple more over the summer. I didnt put much time into any raps/ratL traps/airplane jigs at all, and I have to put some work into them next season. I didnt have much luck with the frosty spoons in glow pink and glow blue... I may actually have to add some meat to my offerings in year 3 to get these to be productive, but thats not real high on my list of things to do. I will however swap out the useless red trebles for some bronze first and foremost. I HATE red hooks...

Spring bobber... Ive got one but never used it. I will pick a rod that it would be best suited on and give it a try. Im not sure what rod it would be best on though, so it will be more trial and error I guess. Im guessing a stiffer rod would work best.  Any opinions anybody has here on spring bobbers would be much appreciated.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #114 on: Apr 07, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Yep, knot position, a very fine subtlety.  It will work for vertical presentations just like horizontal presentations.  When you get around to using more vertical jigging lures...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Apr 08, 2012, 08:26 AM »
Hey thanks for the reply Bob.

I didnt see much of a (positive) change in vertical lures action when moving the knot position really, other than to make it perform in more of a 45 degree presentation. Is this what you do, or what you mean?

After awhile I just tied on a #14 swivel and used them this way so I could swap out spoons faster. I suppose its not the approach for optimum control, but the action actually seems better on the pimples this way.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #116 on: Apr 08, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Yeap.  It's changes the required dropping distance and gets some lures to start planing sooner.  Especially when you get into using larger lures, it makes even more of a pronounced change in how you jig.  Somedays you need be aggressive, but on those days that finessing is needed I'll move my knot position to achieve that effect.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Apr 08, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Ok, got ya.

Thanks.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Yeap.  It's changes the required dropping distance and gets some lures to start planing sooner.  Especially when you get into using larger lures, it makes even more of a pronounced change in how you jig.  Somedays you need be aggressive, but on those days that finessing is needed I'll move my knot position to achieve that effect.

Now that I think about it Bob, the planing time was quicker and more consistant.

That alone was a big plus.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Any suggestions for these three set-ups? I mostly use Tip-Ups.

Frabill 26" 2-6lb w/ a P-10 subzero reel.(panfish popper). This is the one I received as a gift. Last season.     
                                                                                    Never really go a chance to use it.

HT Ice Blues 24" medium IBM-24c w/ MC-II baitcast reel.

Zebco 4004 30" light action w/ a Ocean City #59 reel. The reel does not engage when you start reeling..

There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.