Author Topic: Best retailer for ice fishing gear?  (Read 3398 times)

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best retailer for ice fishing gear?
« on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:45 PM »
We have 3 Cabela's in MN, Gander Mountain, Scheels, Reeds, Thorne Bros., Mills Fleet Farms, and Sportman's Warehouse. It seems like Sportsman's Warehouse is always well stocked with quality items.

Cabela's probably has the largest inventory, but it seems to always be picked over and they have a lot of gimmick equipment. Cabela's is nice but I hate the crowds and those damn "pop" guns going off every two seconds.

Mills Fleet farm has a pretty good selection too.

I have never been to Thorne Bros., but they seem to be pretty popular for guys who shop on-line. Personally I like to put my hands on something before I make the decision to purchase or not. Unless it is something that I am already familiar with.

Gander Mountain is pretty decent all around.

Scheels seems to be pretty picked over when I have been there too. Probably because the one in St.Cloud is in a mall and all the guys go there to kill time and buy up all the gear.

I would say that my go to places Gander Mountain, and Sportsman's Warehouse.

What is your favorite/least favorite and why?

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best retailer for ice fishing gear?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:54 PM »
Fish 307 in Lake George, New York, and online at Fish 307.com They've got a selection of icefishing gear that is as far as I am concerned, unrivaled by any shop. They've got everything that I need, and a solid selection of bait to boot. The problem is, its a good ways from home, so I can only shop there when I'm going to fish the King. :-\

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2008, 02:24 PM »
alas 90% of my shopping is on line  as there isnt much selection up here in maine where I am :(  very surprising       oh wellPeople I have delt with online have been fantastic   and took thier time with me
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2008, 02:42 PM »
For me, the best place to get stuff online is Thorne Bros.  Electronics, the best rods ever, Tica reels, ice armor, stuff like that.  Cabelas was always my go-to online store for clothing before they built one in my backyard.  They always has quality stuff in Tall sizes, not like BPS that never has anything in a tall.  I'm sorry, not everyone is vertically challenged.  Never understood that, since most of my buddies & I are 6' & over, where do all of these short people live?  Are there 3rd world states somewhere?  Now I have to ship stuff to the store & just pay tax (Cabelas) because I have to pay tax & shipping if I want it sent to the house (new law in '07 since they built the store here in IL).  Always my go-to store around here for jigs, line, small stuff that you always seem to run out of, is Gander.  There are a few within an hour of me in all directions.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2008, 02:47 PM »
I always like talking to the guys from thorne bros and order over the phone or internet from them. If they think I am making an improper decision they will add their experienced knowledge. Also going into the store and seeing someone build the rod you want is something else.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2008, 02:53 PM »
I always like talking to the guys from thorne bros and order over the phone or internet from them. If they think I am making an improper decision they will add their experienced knowledge. Also going into the store and seeing someone build the rod you want is something else.

I take my comment back about Thorne Bros.  I do call up there most of the time, especially on a rod order, but I do check the website for a rough idea on what I want 1st!  They are a great 1 on 1 shop!  Good call LOW!

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:22 PM »
I do most of my shopping for ice gear at the local Gander Mountain (Flint - MI)they have a fair selection.

On my trips north I'll stop at Frank's Great Outdoors near Linwood MI, they have a lot of gear and lures geared for fishin' Saginaw Bay/River, Perch and Walleye. When in the Cadillac MI area I like to stop at Pilgrims Village between Lakes Cadillac and Mitchell they're well stocked with ice fishin' gear and have a large selection of panfish jigs including many custom paint jobs.

Both Frank's and Pilgrims have websites, ya can Google 'em up if ya want.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:22 PM »
You guys are lucky! Living in New Jersey we have Dicks and Sports Authority and neather has a single tip-up. We have to rely on private sports shops which are OK,but limited variety. Drove 2 hours to Cabelas in Hamburg PA only to find nothing,other than a few clam shells and broken fishing rods...The best selection I have seen is believe it or not was in Rockaway Twp NJ Walmart the even had a Lowrance ice Flasher wow, along with tipups,line and shelters.But most of my buying is on line, with Reeds,Thorne,Bros and with my favorite FishUSA.com... good luck

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Gander Mtn isn't bad, as long as you catch them for the week or two when they have their stuff out  ;)   Dick's around here usually has hardly anything.  You can never go wrong on line.

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:12 PM »
 I find that The Bass Pro-Shop at Vaughan Mills has the best variety and bang for your buck, unless your in the Bay of Quinte region which has some nice shops but a little more on the expensive side.... 

Cheers

Offline pikeferret

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:11 PM »
definately gander mountain. ;D
Randall Dillinder
Team"First Ice"
<><   }`)))))))))))))))><(

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:48 PM »
We have 3 Cabela's in MN, Gander Mountain, Scheels, Reeds, Thorne Bros., Mills Fleet Farms, and Sportman's Warehouse. It seems like Sportsman's Warehouse is always well stocked with quality items.

Cabela's probably has the largest inventory, but it seems to always be picked over and they have a lot of gimmick equipment. Cabela's is nice but I hate the crowds and those d**n "pop" guns going off every two seconds.

Mills Fleet farm has a pretty good selection too.

I have never been to Thorne Bros., but they seem to be pretty popular for guys who shop on-line. Personally I like to put my hands on something before I make the decision to purchase or not. Unless it is something that I am already familiar with.

Gander Mountain is pretty decent all around.

Scheels seems to be pretty picked over when I have been there too. Probably because the one in St.Cloud is in a mall and all the guys go there to kill time and buy up all the gear.

I would say that my go to places Gander Mountain, and Sportsman's Warehouse.

What is your favorite/least favorite and why?

boy i need to move in your neck of the woods.  i only have bass pro which when it hit's mid january they stop stocking there ice gear.  i have gander mountian which i haven't hit the lotto yet to shop.  and dick's which really doesn't carry that much ice gear at all.  that's it your done!
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline Loonbay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Dick's has a display in Troy that is 8 feet long; why do they even waste the time, you can see all of in in about 2 minutes. Gander Mnt., Bass Pro, and Cabela's seems to be the best :)............don't even bother with K-Mart or Wal-mart, they miss the boat on this season. :-\

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Next time you drive through the metro, check out Thorne Bros retail store in Fridley. It is super easy to find, but don't blink or you will miss it. It is not much too see from the outside. It is just south of Osborne Road on MN #47 (University Ave). If you want some really good directions, PM me.

My experience with the mega retailers like GM and Cabelas is that they have tons of stuff, but nothing you want. Thorne Bros seems to have the good stuff. They have the stuff you ask for at the other places.

Shoot, Field and Stream put them in the top ten list of tackle shops in the USA!

Mr.bluegill

« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:22 PM »
i like the gander mountain there sales men do not seem to be the brightest light bulb in the box but it doesn't matter because i know enough in ice fishing right ??  ::)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:37 PM »
top is sportsmans for all gear especially ice gear, bottom is cabela's they have too much stuff that doesn't work and anything that has their brand name on it is an expensive piece of crap, anything else i can get for cheaper at my local ace hardware even more cheap at sportsmans.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:03 AM »
I find that The Bass Pro-Shop at Vaughan Mills has the best variety and bang for your buck, unless your in the Bay of Quinte region which has some nice shops but a little more on the expensive side.... 

Cheers
Ive been to that one and they have a nice selection and watch for the prices to be coming down a little more as the dollar stay closer to the american dollar.

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Fleet Farm for most of my stuff.

Not sure about Bros. but all those other places are WAY more expensive than Fleet Farm.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:15 AM »
I have been ice fishing for over 25 years. I have never been able to buy all of my tackle in just one store. I have never bought anything for fishing online. I like to hold it first to see if it suits me. I live on the border of Michigan and Indiana so the stores are seasonal to say the least. Also its not always easy to find the items I read about in the magazines. Have you ever heard of LUNKERS? It is in Edwardsburg Michigan.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline josh154

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:15 PM »
I like to shop for any kind of fishing at sportmans warehouse. They seem to have cheaper prices than scheels and much larger selection.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.