Author Topic: rental shanty business  (Read 3404 times)

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
rental shanty business
« on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:33 PM »
Howdy, I have been thinking lately, that I could make some good money renting out ice shacks. If I made 5 or 6 of those portable shantys, and speckled lakes around the valley with them, I could rent those out, and maybe rent out my 8X8 on occasion, or do an everything set to go ice fishing weekend or week, with bait, traps auger, heat included. does anyone know of anything like that? I know I would be the only person around that did it. what are y'alls thoughts on something like this? would you rent one? If you were new to the sport and wanted a weekend but didnt have the money for all the junk, wouldn't that be neat?

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: rental shanty business
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:28 PM »
first u got to remeber some people will trash it also u could'nt charge very much most people not going to pay 50 dollars. I did'nt think it would be worth it

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:41 PM »
well, you may be able to do that, I mean people pay anywhere from 15-30 a person per night for a 6 hour tide for smelting.  but the guy before had a point, how would you keep it from being trashed.  I guess there could be a 'deposit",  Neat idea, but you'll need a business license, and insurance and all that crap, may not be worth it for a couple hundred bucks maybe for the winter.  But who knows, some people from mass/Ct/ NY might do it.  I think here in maine though you would need a guides license.  Not sure though, because you are setting someone up for ice fishing (something sporting-outdoors stuff) for a fee.  so you will have to look into that too.  but what the heck look into it just the same. :tipup:

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:42 PM »
Good Luck !!

There used to be a number of shanty rentals in my area of West Michigan in the '70's and into the '80's. I don't know  of ANY around anymore.

I sold my 4X4 ATV to a fellow fishing club-member and charter captain who also ran a resort on White Lake in Muskegon County, Michigan. He was the last to go for shanty rentals in the area. At the time he had a good set-up with a dozen pre-heated shanties, provided bait and equipment and had terminal tackle for sale. He'd bring you out and pick you up on custom made sleds and would check on you periodically throughout the day to see if you needed bait, to check on heater fuel, or see if you wanted to go in. He bought my quad-runner so he AND his son could both be shuttling and checking on clients - the Michigan DNR had just made it illegal to ride them offroad 2 years before and I didn't use it enough. I think he used to get $20 for a shanty for the day w/ a ride out and back - bait was extra.

I helped him move some shanties here and there the year before I sold him my machine and it is A LOT OF WORK.

He sold the shanties first, then a cottage, then another, then the whole resort, then his main house, and he now lives in a condo and charters in the summer.

The big decline in shanty rentals was primarily due to the lack of Lake Michigan run perch and good thick ice for a long season.

When I was a kid in the '70's there also used to be guys driving around on snomobiles pulling vending sleds selling coffee, hot chocolate, live bait, some tackle, etc. - you don't see that anymore either.

I know a number of charter captains and guides and they don't guide on the ice. The closest would be Mark Martin's Mr. Walleye on-ice seminar that took place last weekend on Saginaw Bay.

I wish there were still some rentals in this area. I know of a number of people who would pay to be driven out to a heated shanty for fish other than perch such as northern pike, walleye, panfish, or steelhead.

-Matt

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:50 PM »
11 Mile Sports & Marina in Colorado has an active ice fishing rental business. Go to their site and scroll down. It shows prices and equipment rented. You might contact Larry for more info.

http://www.11milesports.com/ice_fishing_2007_rates.html

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:40 PM »
Four of the bigger lakes in Minnesota all have thriving shanty rental businesses.  Many of them with propane heat, cook stoves and bunks.  Depending on the size of the shack they can run anywhere from $100 to $300 per 24 hr time slot. And they're almost alway full.  Day shacks with just a heater and holes can run 20 to 80 bucks for a 12 hour shift.
Do a web search for resorts on Mille Lacs, you'll see pictures and/or descriptions of the shacks with rates posted.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:45 PM »
Don't throw your life away son.  My advice - learn a trade.

Tight Lines.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:55 PM »
Ya, it might be ok for a little extra income on the side, but you're probably not gonna get rich doing it for your primary job.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:58 PM »
Here in Southern New York (Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Orange, etc.) practically nobody has a shelter.  In 44 years on  the ice, I don't think I've seen 20 portables!!  If there was someone renting them for the day (assuming the price was not out of line), there were MANY days that I would definitely have sprung for the bucks to be warm and comfortable.
With the advent of small, light, portable shelters like the new PAK-SHACK available for only $100 bucks, an enterprising guy could set himself up in business for a very small investment.  Like any other equipment rental agreement, there would have to be a deposit left to guarantee return of the equipment in good shape.
Keep an eye out next year guys, you might just see me on your favorite lake or reservoir with a supply of shelters for rent!!!

IceBalls

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:15 AM »
if you fish with them and charge them you need a guide licence.

other than that i think it would work. i bet a lot of folks would rent from you once you got established.
 perhaps you should contact f&g to see what they say,leagal wise.

paint a for rent sign with price on the green bean i bet you get a call
in no time  ;D

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:00 AM »
Your best way to make money easy without a lot of physical work is to invest it in the stock market. You may laugh and say ( I don't have the money to do that ) Your wrong it doesn't  take much to get started. All it takes it time.
Start now and you won't be sorry!
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:27 PM »
"I have one word for you.....PLASTICS"   ( name the movie )

Seriously,  if there is a market for it and you work hard enough you will be successful.  That goes for any business.

You might also want to look into what type of insurance you might need to carry for a venture like that.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:33 PM »
I rent shacks.............I have had them out since ice in. $25 a day. 1 rental for the season.

Don't try to depend on it!

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:38 PM »
duck doctor ,
i cant stand it no more  ;D  how did you come to have that handle ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.