Author Topic: Lake Winnipeg Trip  (Read 957 times)

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lake Winnipeg Trip
« on: Oct 24, 2019, 11:39 PM »
A group of friends we are taking a trip to Winnipeg.   Looking for ideas on equipment one should bring?   What types and sizes of lures would someone recommend?   

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Winnipeg Trip
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2019, 04:55 PM »
It’s my home lake, so feel free to message me if you have any questions.  Med or med/hvy rods, live target blue shiners are a go to here for ripping cranks, large spoons 3-5 inches, jigging raps, jigs, most any walleye lure you have in your box. No need to buy a ton of tackle. This lake is hard, on gear, vehicles and people. Be prepared. It’s an inland ocean. Multiple gps units, extra augers, tents, gas everything. Not uncommon to be stuck on the lake overnight. The south basin is mapped for lowrance units, bird is in the process of doing it. Most of the fishing occurs in the south basin. Book early for rooms, feb and March usually book a couple years in advance. A good guide can help, if you need names, pm me.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Thanks for the info.   Will get ahold of you closer to the trip.   Literally every article tells you to get the blue live target.  Must be good.   Any type of spoon you recommend?   

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2019, 11:25 PM »
Thanks for making this post! I'm making my first trip up there end of March. This post will be helpful for expanding my tackle box. Looking forward to grabbing some lures that are difficult to get stateside.  ;D

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2019, 01:38 AM »
Thanks for the info.   Will get ahold of you closer to the trip.   Literally every article tells you to get the blue live target.  Must be good.   Any type of spoon you recommend?

The live target just works. Other lipless baits produce as well, so if you have, bring them. Spoons, smaller spoons are good if the fish are neutral, but spoons in the 3-5” range with a minnow wrapped on the treble are good. RJ lures, pelican spoons for example. Any thin profile salmon spoon works too. Bring your regular winter walleye gear. Reel bait flasher jigs and their rattle stix do well. Don’t forget too, if the weather makes the lake a no go, you can fish the red river.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2019, 01:22 PM »
I went up for the first time last year and it is epic!

Get your rooms/guide booked ASAP if you haven't already.  We stay near Selkirk so we can go on either side of the lake depending on where the fish are.  Blackwater Cat's is our guide of choice, Donovan and his team will get you on fish.  They aren't the sit and camp type, they will move and drill holes with you to keep on the fish.

GPS is crucial for safety, even if you don't have the lake mapped for fishing, marking your parking spot and track out could save your life!  We used snowmobiles because of the amount of snow and they are quicker to move on the ice too.  Verizon international data/phones worked on the lake which was great for the day I tossed a bearing in one of my idler pulleys on the sled.

You don't need a ton of tackle/equipment.  A couple rods for that size fish, I use one Daiwa Med/Heavy and one TUCR Admiral, the TUCR is awesome but pricey!  Our guide swore by a Mepps inline spinner he customized with a bigger treble, it worked that's for sure.  My favorite crank was the EuroTackle Z-Viber in Shad and Blue Silver.

Good luck and have fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.