Author Topic: Ice picks on striker jacket.  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice picks on striker jacket.
« on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:03 PM »
My one and only complaint about my predator jacket is that it doesn't have some form of attachment point around the neck or on the chest for ice picks. I use the yellow Frabil ones with the black coil cord and like them but they always slide around or fall off. Anyone find a good way to keep them handy?

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice picks on striker jacket.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:31 PM »
I have the same picks and they drove me crazy until I taped the two picks together with a wrap and a half of masking tape to keep them from dangling around.  You can easily break the tape to separate the two halves if you ever need to use them.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:35 PM »
Or small tabs of stickyback velcro

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:49 PM »
i keep mine in my bib pocket and snapped shut.i keep the points facing away from my other leg. coat's not always on. i heard not to wrap them around your neck as they can get lost if you fall in.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:03 AM »
I have the same picks and they drove me crazy until I taped the two picks together with a wrap and a half of masking tape to keep them from dangling around.  You can easily break the tape to separate the two halves if you ever need to use them.
I like the tape idea quick and easy!

I use my pockets for my lure boxes and gloves.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Tied mine to inside D ring in my chest pockets of my striker coat, about 2’ of cord, mine are the retractable picks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Could use the  Velcro suspender strap attachment point on the front of the bibs in some way …

Add these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-8-in-x-1-2-in-Reusable-Ties-50-Pack-90924HD/202261940
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2019, 12:34 PM »
I had the same complaint when I moved from the Frabill to Striker. The ice pick attachment is the only thing I miss about the Frabill.
I ended-up just getting these:

https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Polar-Pics

I don’t like them as much as the Frabill set-up, but they are secure when linked together, and after a few minutes I forget that they are around my neck.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:08 PM »
I had the same complaint when I moved from the Frabill to Striker. The ice pick attachment is the only thing I miss about the Frabill.
I ended-up just getting these:

https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Polar-Pics

I don’t like them as much as the Frabill set-up, but they are secure when linked together, and after a few minutes I forget that they are around my neck.

I have a set of those that I hate. I don't have a big neck but they seem so tight. I've even gone as far as hanging a weight on them hoping they would stretch out alittle and they just returned to being super tight. They are my spare set for friends now and usually end up in their pocket.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:30 PM »
Pics I use the pick ends will mate together. There are holes to line the opposing picks and push together. Forms a loop.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:53 PM »
don,t know what they,re called, but i bought those black    plastic spring loaded thingys used to keep a kids hoody drawstrings snug to their face. found them at wallyworld. push      doubled cord thru hole , put loop around neck, snug thingy to snug cord. picks can,t get lost or fall off if you go thru. oh yeah, picks are on regular cord, not springy plastic phone cord. works for me. wire

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Pics I use the pick ends will mate together. There are holes to line the opposing picks and push together. Forms a loop.

That's what I have, didn't hardly notice them around my neck last weekend

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:26 PM »
I have a set of those that I hate. I don't have a big neck but they seem so tight. I've even gone as far as hanging a weight on them hoping they would stretch out alittle and they just returned to being super tight. They are my spare set for friends now and usually end up in their pocket.
I had the same problem. I ended up going with the Rapala Safety Spikes, same principle, a little more comfortable. (for me at least)
https://www.rapala.com/rapala/fishing-tools/ice-fishing-accessories/ice-safety-spike/RSSK.html

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:30 PM »
I had the same problem. I ended up going with the Rapala Safety Spikes, same principle, a little more comfortable. (for me at least)
https://www.rapala.com/rapala/fishing-tools/ice-fishing-accessories/ice-safety-spike/RSSK.html

Pics?  Float suits?  Huh?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Pics?  Float suits?  Huh?
Yeah, I keep em on my sled. (which I don't bring if I'm riding bike in)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:54 AM »
My ice picks slide into each other which also covers the sharp points for your safety.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2019, 02:31 AM »
I have those rapala ones but I cut off the cord and store them in a cargo pocket of my bibs.  I definitely prefer it to anything involving my neck because I'm always layering up/down on my neck, but my bibs are on the whole time, and the cargo pocket is always at the exterior.  Downside is working a zipper and pulling the things out in freezing water, haven't had to test them in action yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.