Author Topic: Making a Helix 7 portable  (Read 1849 times)

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
Making a Helix 7 portable
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Any ideas of how to make it happen?  I tried after market bags, NG.  Tried mounting it in a back pack, To floppy.  At present I am trying a plastic ammo box. . Work in progress.  Any idea that worked for you would be appreciated  Geo.

Offline Stellahound

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Making a Helix 7 portable
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:17 PM »
I have used a Humminbird 598 for several seasons. I tried using a plastic tackle box. Worked great for a few outings, but when it got cold the plastic latches broke. I used a metal ammo can for a period of time. I put the fish finder mount on top of the can and put the battery inside the can. This worked fairly well but it didn't have a good handle to carry it. I eventually bought a Humminbird bag off Ebay. This works much better.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:30 PM »
I will be getting one at some point and I've already decided that it will go in a cheap cooler. I will need to size it correctly for the battery, head unit, transducer all tucked in there.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2019, 01:25 AM »
I made this with my hummingbird 597
All bolted through with stainless steel, been going good so far this year probably get the bag for next year though.

"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:08 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. Geo

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:42 AM »
I built my own box with two rod holders and some storage out of quarter inch plywood and various other stuff I had around.

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:35 AM »
Hey, I got a garming striker 5 dv so it's about the same size.

I bought a 3gal bucket and put the battery and cables in the bottom. Then I fabricated a wooden circle that'd sit just above the batter and cables and I mounted my head unit on that. I drilled a hole for the transducer cable to pop through too.

I packed some insulation in there to keep the battery happy in the cold. It's been working great.
Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:11 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=17919.msg3921655#msg3921655 page 23. I'm looking into this set up when I get my next helix 7 my 597 is starting to die and I don't want to spend the cash on the ice set up.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:36 AM »
I built my own box with two rod holders and some storage out of quarter inch plywood and various other stuff I had around.

Nice.  Thats kinda what I'm looking for. Geo.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:15 PM »
Here's a close-up picture of just the box.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2019, 12:45 AM »
I use a ammo box that works perfect, I have my helix 7 unit mounted to my boat with a ram mount so I just purchased another ram mount ball and mounted it
to the ammo box, wires run into the ammo box through the ram mount cable manager base to a 12v battery, I also mounted a glow cup.

The unit fits in the ammo box during transport.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2019, 06:47 AM »
 Ticklestick does the battery weight keep it from being too tippy.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2019, 11:39 AM »
I use a ammo box that works perfect, I have my helix 7 unit mounted to my boat with a ram mount so I just purchased another ram mount ball and mounted it
to the ammo box, wires run into the ammo box through the ram mount cable manager base to a 12v battery, I also mounted a glow cup.

The unit fits in the ammo box during transport.

(Image removed from quote.)
Where did you get the box?   The smmo box I got at Wally world is just to small?.  If you would give me a number or part number. Thanks Geo.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:03 AM »
Ticklestick does the battery weight keep it from being too tippy.

A little, but I have the battery mounted in the back, but I do carry it when hole hoping without any problems.

Where did you get the box?   The smmo box I got at Wally world is just to small?.  If you would give me a number or part number. Thanks Geo.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/ammunition-boxes/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/522363780/cabelas-clear-dry-storage-ammunition-box/740706.uts?slotId=1

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2019, 06:19 AM »
A little, but I have the battery mounted in the back, but I do carry it when hole hoping without any problems.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/ammunition-boxes/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/522363780/cabelas-clear-dry-storage-ammunition-box/740706.uts?slotId=1
OK thanks.  Ordering it now. Geo.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2019, 09:54 AM »
I mouted a ram mount to upper edge of a 5 gallon bucket I can sit on one bucket and watch from another..  or a folding chair. I can also throw my fish in bucket as I catch and hop whole to whole .. the auger can be slid threw the bucket handle   if useing a clam plate and carried on shoulder and leaves other hand open for spudding the ice as you go.. tackle etc can be carried in bucket same with batteries and other gear..  I even use a rod holder off bucket .. on some lakes..  my most versatile set up is my 5 gallon bucket I can mount rod holders on out side of bucket there is so much a bucket can do that a ammo can can't..  when I move and walk long distances  I tip the ram mount down so the screen don't get damaged .. so screens in bucket..  I want to get a couple lithium ion batteries..  just have not had time to order them and try them out.. I use a anchor cleat mounted in my bucket for transducer cable organization. 

Link to ram mount..

https://www.cabelas.com/product/RAM-Mounting-Systems/1084953.uts?productVariantId=4436964&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04330253&rid=20&ds_rl=1246549&ds_rl=1246552&ds_rl=1252242&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjZHpv9rU4AIVFbjACh1NegWSEAQYAiABEgLp4fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.