Author Topic: Crappie Under a Full Moon  (Read 1526 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Crappie Under a Full Moon
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:33 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm debating about heading out tonight to fish for some crappies after dark.  Tonight is a full super moon.  I don't normally fish at night for crappie, so I figured I would gather your thoughts!

Does the full moon turn on the crappie, or does it turn them off?  Anyone ever try hitting these "super moons"?  We're supposed to have cloudy skies tonight, so I'm betting that will keep things relatively dark.

Just looking for your input.  See if it's worth heading out or if this normally shuts them down. ???
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Crappie Under a Full Moon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:39 PM »
Never noticed a difference.
If they're hungry they'll bite.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:41 PM »
a good coleman lantern by the hole works wonders for night fishing.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Just a mere 2 cents.  In my past experience the full moon were the evenings with the least success.  Typically only dinks and not many when the moon was full.  I also experienced that the lantern (lights) at night were only beneficial if it was really dark (i.e. - minimal moon light/street or road lights). 

However I do agree with what was said above if they are hungry they are gonna eat!

Good luck and stay safe out there at night!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:13 PM »
If you have the time and the weather is good/nice why not try ...some lakes don't have a night bite ...others can have only a short window ..find an area near the basin punch some/a lot holes during day light hours ..gonna get a lull at dusk ..then stick it out some .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:02 PM »
spent many years fishing lights at night.  i find the light works better when its darker.  that doesn't mean it wont still work.  some night the light draws minnows and fish some nights it doesn't. wish i knew why. lol   i have also noticed (at least around here) that the night bite usually starts around 9-11 and goes till 1 or 2.  i don't stay home because of what the moon is doing though.  go and give it a try. 

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:44 PM »
If you have the time and the weather is good/nice why not try ...some lakes don't have a night bite ...others can have only a short window ..find an area near the basin punch some/a lot holes during day light hours ..gonna get a lull at dusk ..then stick it out some .

It's funny you say that. The hour and a half around dusk is the best time for me on my lake. Crappie all funnel through an area while moving from the basin up into the shallow weeds and I get a constant stream of aggressive fish passing under me in that window. Once it has been dark awhile they are more spread out and harder to hit in any numbers.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Well for an update I fished from 7:30-10:00 and never had a hit.  I fished three different areas where we've been whacking them in the daytime.  Saw very little activity on the graph.  Almost like they disappeared. 

I looked deeper and shallower around the most consistent spot we've had this year.  Tried the spikes I've been catching them on and minnows.  No luck.  Dropped the heads down "normal" and after glowing them.  No difference.  Can't say it was the lures or bait, because I really didn't see them on my graph either.  Tough night...but you never know!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2019, 03:12 PM »
It's funny you say that. The hour and a half around dusk is the best time for me on my lake. Crappie all funnel through an area while moving from the basin up into the shallow weeds and I get a constant stream of aggressive fish passing under me in that window. Once it has been dark awhile they are more spread out and harder to hit in any numbers.

Somewhat similar situation for me in a local lake.  Great crappie bite from dusk until its pitch black, then they seem to be scattered and hard to predict.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.