Author Topic: Looking to get an ice shack heater. Need help.  (Read 1883 times)

Offline neosithlord

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking to get an ice shack heater. Need help.
« on: Nov 25, 2017, 02:59 AM »
I'll start by saying my brother asked for one for xmas. I'm not much of a winter sports guy but hay here I am on an ice fishing forum. So here's the deal, my brother wants a sunflower propane heater. The one he showed me on Cabela's site had two heaters/heads he said that's the one he wants or something similar as he knows it's a bit out of my price range. I think they had it listed at $90-$110 dollars. I'm looking for something maybe $70 or less but perhaps up to $85. I've found a few decently rated ones in my range but they're all 30k btu and rated to heat a 25 foot radius. Seems overkill for an ice shack. He also mentioned something about making coffee on it. I'm sure that's not a manufacturer's recommended feature but that's what he said. So do you guys know of anything that might fit his three criteria of 1. Propane 2. can heat an ice shack well enough to take off your outer layers and 3. make or heat up coffee  ;D. He has a single head/heater one currently that he said he likes but it doesn't put out enough heat and I'm assuming he can't have one for heat and one to boil water LOL. Any advice you guys could give is VERY much appreciated.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Looking to get an ice shack heater. Need help.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:13 AM »
personally, i would rather have a gift card(if you cant afford what he wants) apposed to something cheaper that i mite not like/use, or even last.  i cant help you on the heater choices i dont use any.  it just makes it feel colder out jigging around, after being in hot shack.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline baogongmeo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2017, 06:26 AM »
I know it's not exactly what you asked about but our Menard's has a 1 burner sunflower type heat on-sale through today for $27.97 with an $8 rebate bringing it down to $19.97.
I don't know how a person would make coffee with one but I use one like it in my deer tower just to warm up if I get cold. My tower is 6'x6' with open windows on all 4 sides so I would think that it would heat an ice shack toasty as long as the door and windows aren't open. 15,000 btu I think. Use the left-over $$$ to buy him a propane tank or a nice thermos such as an ORCA growler.

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2017, 06:43 AM »
I know its a little more than you want to spend but right now Menards and Tractor Supply have the Big Buddy heater on sale for $99. Its propane, It heats good size ice houses well (depends on size and insulation as with all heaters), and with a modification you can make your coffee. Google Big Buddy cooking or modifications and you will see quite a few ideas. The sunflower type suck IMHO. Gives me a head ach every time now. Back when I was young that is all we had but by the end of 4+ hours most of us had head aches. Not with the Big Buddy.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2017, 07:23 AM »
I agree with the gift card. He can use it as is, or add some money to it. Either way, he will get exactly what he wants.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2017, 07:33 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232025-Portable-California/dp/B002QUZGS8/ref=sr_1_3/132-5928802-9197947?ie=UTF8&qid=1511615825&sr=8-3&keywords=buddy+heater

X2 on the Buddy solution. I have the regular Buddy (one tank) and it puts out a lot of heat. Not sure how much space he is heating, but I heat my large Clam hub on low. You can then make him a cooking rack from a paint roller rack ($2). As suggested just google the rack and you will find lots of how to advice and videos.  He can upgrade the rack to a stainless purchased version later if he chooses.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I would go with a Mr Heater Portable buddy heater and a camp stove ...this is what  I use

this one is out of stock on line ..but your local may have one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Single-Burner-Propane-Camp-Stove/50703838

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2017, 08:16 AM »
I use a buddy heater and made a cook rack. I have a small cake pan that fits it for sausage and eggs. It lays flat for storage.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Get the buddy heater, more temp control easier on propane. I use mine to heat an otter lodge and clam xl2000 hub. Had the regular one for 3 years now.

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2017, 10:04 AM »
I use a buddy heater and made a cook rack. I have a small cake pan that fits it for sausage and eggs. It lays flat for storage.

Great looking rack!
What type of racking did u start with?
Would like to copy yours!

THX

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2017, 10:09 AM »
I know its a little more than you want to spend but right now Menards and Tractor Supply have the Big Buddy heater on sale for $99. Its propane, It heats good size ice houses well (depends on size and insulation as with all heaters), and with a modification you can make your coffee. Google Big Buddy cooking or modifications and you will see quite a few ideas. The sunflower type suck IMHO. Gives me a head ach every time now. Back when I was young that is all we had but by the end of 4+ hours most of us had head aches. Not with the Big Buddy.

Also depends on where you fish. The regular buddy heater might work in southern MN but in mid to northern MN I don't believe it would be enough heat but depends on ice shack insulation. Better to buy the Big Buddy first and not worry about not having enough heat.

I fish in Otter HTX Hub Logde in below 0 temps and Big Buddy works great.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Mr Heater Cooker/ Heater works for me. I live in South Dakota and it keeps my Eskimo Quickfish 4 warm.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2017, 11:55 AM »
I started out with the tank mount sunflower & switched to the heater/cooker after a few years due to the dual use & it sits on the ice. Then i discovered the buddy & the big buddy. Adding a hose allows the use of a larger tank. I'm using the big buddy now because it seems to be a better fit for my Otter.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2017, 12:11 PM »
Cabelas has a new version of the heater cooker, by Mr Heater, its like a Buddy (ceramic element)  but without all the shell, and its set up like the sunflower heater cooker...

Less fumes than the sunflower and quiet too, no jet engine noise lol..

Lifetime warranty????

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/portable-heaters-accessories/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104382180/cabelas-quiet-blind-heater-cooker-by-mr-heater/746156.uts?slotId=2

I like it but I'm going to try to find an adjustable regulator so I can turn it down easier..

<°)))>{

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2017, 01:38 PM »
For the ones who asked mine was made out of a old freezer basket I was given. Hooked pieces together with clips used to build rabbit cages. Lots hardware and farm stores in this area have similar metal. Here’s a picture folded up.

Not trying to highjack the thread. I have a two person flip and it heats it fine.

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2017, 01:46 PM »
Oops

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.